1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Grenson MP at Bennies' Shoes (Atlanta)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by nerdykarim, Sep 3, 2007.

1. nerdykarim

nerdykarim Senior member

New shipment in 2-3 weeks, lots of shoes in all sizes.
    They're going to start the pricing at $350 this year.

In other news, I bought a pair of J&M spade sole handmades today. The fit isn't perfect but I just couldn't resist. I'm still in shock.

2. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Senior member

Thanks for the heads up Karim. [​IMG]

Time to visit and leave my number for an early call...

3. nerdykarim

nerdykarim Senior member

I forgot that I had neglected to provide some critical information. I was at the store on Piedmont (which is where I think the main stock is going to be).

In the store, there probably 5-10 pairs of Grenson Masterpiece shoes as well as some other ridiculously nice pairs (A couple old stock Henry Maxwell, IIRC, as well as 4--now 3--pairs of old stock J&M Hand Made Aristocrafts). If you wear 7 1/2 or 8, you can basically get yourself an amazing shoe wardrobe at a huge discount.

4. meister

meister Senior member

New shipment in 2-3 weeks, lots of shoes in all sizes.

In other news, I bought a pair of J&M spade sole handmades today. The fit isn't perfect but I just couldn't resist. I'm still in shock.

Like from the 1940-50s you mean like these? [​IMG]

5. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

[​IMG] That's crazy. I'm sure they'll get some takers, but wow.

6. nerdykarim

nerdykarim Senior member

Like from the 1940-50s you mean like these? [​IMG]
    Yup but mine are wingtips. The right shoe was in the showroom but the left was sitting in its box; it had never been tried on or even laced up. My camera was at work last night but I'll snap a few pictures when I get home tonight. This is the exact same as the pair I have though. edit: I don't think they're actually from the 40's. And re: pricing, I think that's appropriate for the classic models...they can always reduce the price later (or adjust it based on the popularity of the model).

7. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Senior member

[​IMG] That's crazy. I'm sure they'll get some takers, but wow.

I actually think its a fair price given the exchange rates issues.

8. AlanC

AlanC Senior member

The price is disappointing. A hundred dollars cheaper and I might be interested in the right pair, but I'll be sitting this one out.

9. dr.no

dr.no Senior member

I actually think its a fair price given the exchange rates issues.

True about FX, but why then didn't Paul Stuart raise prices on SC level shoes?

10. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

True about FX, but why then didn't Paul Stuart raise prices on SC level shoes?

They did, to $800+

I still think that $350 is a little high for the discount market.

11. AlanC

AlanC Senior member

I still think that $350 is a little high for the discount market.

I agree. Of course, if they can sell them at that price then it's a wise decision on their part. If they can't, then markdowns won't be far behind.

I'm surprised that Stuart would let another shipment go to Bennie's. My understanding was they weren't happy about Bennie's Grensons in the past.

12. nerdykarim

nerdykarim Senior member

My understanding was they weren't happy about Bennie's Grensons in the past.

I didn't get that impression from the store. Do you know any more details?

They did tell me, though, that these would be first-quality shoes from PS and that they had to take out the PS-labeled insole and replace it with one from Grenson.

13. ltontheqt

ltontheqt Senior member

Does all sizes really mean an across-the-board range? Bennie's only seems to carry the smaller sizes. Am I mistaken?

14. AlanC

AlanC Senior member

I didn't get that impression from the store. Do you know any more details?
    I had understood that PS had renegotiated some things after the earlier Bennie's loads, but that could be mistaken.

Does all sizes really mean an across-the-board range? Bennie's only seems to carry the smaller sizes. Am I mistaken?

Bennie's only has the smaller/odd sizes left as the others were cleaned out in mad frenzies.

15. nerdykarim

nerdykarim Senior member

The smaller sizes are basically all that was left after the feeding frenzy. I was told that they'll get sizes all across the board (though I don't know how much we'll see in the 13 + range this time, though.

16. Tarmac

Tarmac Senior member

What is this place? Do you mean they have some dead stock JM Aristocrafts?

17. vinouspleasure

vinouspleasure Senior member

I received a note from grenson today stating that the MP is no longer made and had been supplanted by the rose collection.

18. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

I received a note from grenson today stating that the MP is no longer made and had been supplanted by the rose collection.

They haven't been making "Grenson Masterpiece" shoes for quite a while now, maybe as long as two years. They still make shoes to the Masterpiece standard for Paul Stuart called "Stuart's Choice." They are excellent shoes.

19. nerdykarim

nerdykarim Senior member

What is this place?
    A shoe store in Atlanta.

Do you mean they have some dead stock JM Aristocrafts?
    Yup.

20. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

The price is disappointing. A hundred dollars cheaper and I might be interested in the right pair, but I'll be sitting this one out.

This sums up my feelings as well. I love my Masterpieces, but it would take something stunning/unusual to get me to even consider biting at $350. Some of GVH's EGs have sold in the $350 range fairly recently.

As for the increasingly weak exchange rate, wouldn't these have been purchased by PS a good while back? Maybe PS jacked up the price for Bennies, but a $100 premium seems a bit much. It wasn't long ago that PS was selling these for $75 at the end of the clearance sale, right?