• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cowboy boots

kbuzz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jmonroestyle
One usually doesn't think about a very elegant boot with a classy square tapered French Toe, a lower, slighty tapered heel, and a rich chocolate brown or black French Calf or kangaroo leather with a nice highly polished finish.

for those of us who would like to make up our own minds about boots, would you be so kind as to post some pics or links to the type your mention here. It seems you are saying that this style is a bit more refined then the average "mall boot". Id think it would be very educational for us....

as for cowboy boots with suits....or even slacks.....i definatly need to be convinced. Although i did wear my rm williams with chinos the other day and got a few compliments.....although it felt odd to me as i have only worn boots with jeans

iamaloser

Reaction score
Hey guys, my boots just came in from the shop. I think they look pretty spiffy, don't you?
21516523217.jpg

hmhill

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dagenham
i think cowboy boots are fine, i wear them with some jeans and a simple white v-neck tee, ralph lauren style. even though i live in texas, i don't think its just a cowboy thing... besides, you really only see cowboys in the country and fort worth...

The following photograph is from April 1925 in Fort Worth, TX. There was a run on the Guaranty State Bank. It was located in the Wheat Building which is the current location of Del Frisco's Steakhouse and before that the men's clothing store, John L. Ashe.

06-09-2005094804am2.jpg

I think there are probably more people wearing cowboy attire in Fort Worth today than in the twenties. About the only time I wear my cowboy attire is when we had Pioneer Days, etc. at the Library--my former place of employment before I retired.

I probably one of the few Texans who actually had a relative who was a cowboy during the cattle drives days from about 1866-1876.

Max

jmonroestyle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kbuzz
for those of us who would like to make up our own minds about boots, would you be so kind as to post some pics or links to the type your mention here. It seems you are saying that this style is a bit more refined then the average "mall boot". Id think it would be very educational for us....

kbuzz,

Thanks asking, and for keeping an open mind about cowboy boots.

Here is a link which shows some photos of some of my boots.

http://badassboots2003.com/members/J...tyle/index.htm

Examples of the dressy square French toed boots I was describing would be the first pair of black Rios of Mercedes boots (in the upper left corner), the Lucchese boots, and the all black J.B. Hill boots. Incidently J.B. Hill boots are specifically designed as more of a businessman's boot that might be worn with a suit or other dressy attire. I don't imagine there are too many people that would wear them for cleaning out the barn.

Jess

kitonbrioni

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cowboy boots are a option. It seems that people who dislike them feel more strongly about them that those who view them as an option in footwear.
It is also noted that many cowboy boots are still made in the USA, compared to the few USA quality shoes being made. Also, there are many bespoke boots makers in the USA.

dagenham

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hmhill
The following photograph is from April 1925 in Fort Worth, TX. There was a run on the Guaranty State Bank. It was located in the Wheat Building which is the current location of Del Frisco's Steakhouse and before that the men's clothing store, John L. Ashe.

06-09-2005094804am2.jpg

I think there are probably more people wearing cowboy attire in Fort Worth today than in the twenties. About the only time I wear my cowboy attire is when we had Pioneer Days, etc. at the Library--my former place of employment before I retired.

I probably one of the few Texans who actually had a relative who was a cowboy during the cattle drives days from about 1866-1876.

Max

great picture! i wish it still looked like that.... and i was referring to the current state of fort worth in reference to "cowboys" as you suggested. one trip to the stockyards will confirm that...

seamless74

Reaction score
i think every man should own a pair of cowboy boots at some point in his life... im from oklahoma i know but still... its just kinda a man thing no? however with the emasculation of the american male over the last 20 years or so i could see why some of you would prefer to wear chucks with your jeans and t shirts..

Schnurretiger

Reaction score
Okay, my favourite pair of shoes is actually a pair of harness boots, pretty similar to these, only in brown. They are the best fitting and most comfortable pair of shoes I own, probably owing to the craftsmanship that has gone into them. They are 6 years old by now, I wore them so often, I don't remember how often in fact and yes, sometimes even several days in a row (that's pre-sf-days). Before that, I had another pair for nearly 10 years and they were just as great.
I tried them on with a pair of navy chinos recently and I have to admit: it didn't look that odd. By the way: if you've got a dog, boots are the best thing to wear while being outside: just scrub off the dirt afterwards, reproof the boots with some good wax and your're set for the next puddles and rainshowers.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Funny how these old threads resurface sometimes. As I mentioned in my first post, largely as a legacy of having lived in Texas for five years, I used to wear cowboy boots a great deal of the time. (Now I feel like a doofus for having done so!) Anyway, I can recall one time, almost exactly 20 years ago when I had an automotive breakdown and after leaving my car for repair decided to walk back to my apartment several miles away. I was wearing cowboy boots, Justins, as I recall. Anyway, by the time I got back to my place, the soles of my feet were horribly blistered. Had I been wearing the A-E Berglands I have on at the moment (or just about any of the other A-Es I own), I would have experienced nothing more than some invigorating exercise.

Around 1992, I began having all manner of foot pains. I forsook the cowboy boots for shoes, and the pains vanished immediately. The cowboy boots I owned were good quality--mostly Lucchese.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Ok, I like these:

A few questions:

1) I wear tight jeans, I have no intention of wearing them tucked in these boots. Is this type of shaft wearable under jeans or is it too wide for jeans with 6-7" hems?
2) They're resistol which I think is Lucchese made in Mexico line, I like their shape better but are they total crap?
3) Any other brands I should look into, I don't like the square toe ones.

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
1) I wear tight jeans, I have no intention of wearing them tucked in these boots. Is this type of shaft wearable under jeans or is it too wide for jeans with 6-7" hems?

I think it's too wide for your skinny jeans. You might have to pick up some bootcuts...

3) Any other brands I should look into, I don't like the square toe ones.

How about Boulet? http://www.bouletboots.com/
Represent yo!

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My office Christmas party will be at a cabane à sucre this year. I've heard there's a country western/cowboy theme. I ain't buying boots.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wes Bourne
My office Christmas party will be at a cabane à sucre this year. I've heard there's a country western/cowboy theme. I ain't buying boots.

Will you guys have to get out while Muslims pray?

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Will you guys have to get out while Muslims pray?

Let's just say that if a group rents out the whole place for a private event, then I think they can do whatever they want as long as it was agreed to with the owners. Otherwise, it's hard to argue your fundamental right to prayer if/when said prayer prevents another group from having access to the place during that time (if all involved are paying customers and none have exclusive use of the premises).

What was more fucked up was that whole episode with the Park Ave YMCA. I'll just shut up before this gets moved to CE.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads