• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cowboy boots

horndog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a beautiful pair of calfskin Lucchese's that I like wearing for those mix of casual / dressy nights. They can add some spice to an ensemble as long as they're subtle. Plus, if you're a shorter guy, they'll add some inches with the larger heels. Obviously some people hate them, but I like wearing mine. Sometimes makes for a good conversation piece too.

stilmacher

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are certain boots made for certain people. Just like these are for firemen:

firebreak_big.jpg

And it would be great if people would stick to that.

SartorialSheepdog

Reaction score
I wear my Tony Lama elephant skin boots at least once a week here in Nashville. You are much more likely to see some exotic Luccheses here than your Lobbs or C&Js.

kakemono

Reaction score
I dont wear cowboy boots, but i love what I would call "fashion boots". i.e. Mark Nason type boots.

they aren't quite the same - but similar

Leslierc

Reaction score
What's the point of cowboy boots? Most men who wear them don't ride horses, drive tractors, or work at the rodeo. At best, cowboy boots represent a myth way past it's time or, alternatively, adolescence with a fat checkbook.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I've lived in Texas all my life and have not had one pair of 'cowboy' boots. Now, Red Wing work boots - I wore those off and on through my school years. Still wear them, but only in the hill country when I've got work to do.

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Leslierc
What's the point of cowboy boots? Most men who wear them don't ride horses, drive tractors, or work at the rodeo. At best, cowboy boots represent a myth way past it's time or, alternatively, adolescence with a fat checkbook.

so are you saying the only people that should wear tennis shoes should play tennis?

Leslierc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by stickonatree
so are you saying the only people that should wear tennis shoes should play tennis?

Since you've decided to split hairs with me, I'll return the favor: it's people "who" should wear tennis shoes...
smile.gif

fareau

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Leslierc

Don't rule them out just yet. The current styles go well beyond their utilitarian heritage. Although I do admit that years ago I would have agreed that that cowboy boots were a silly affectation, now I quite like them. I'm telling you, if you can buy a nice pair and break them in, you might (just might) change your tune....
stirpot.gif

jmonroestyle

Reaction score
Threads about cowboy boots always seem to bring out peoples strong opinions. People rarely seem to be neutral with their thoughts about wearing cowboy boots.

Although I don't live in the South West and don't ride a horse or do any ranching, I have been proudly wearing my 30+ pairs of cowboy boots for the past 27 years and will continue to do so no matter what other's opinions of them are.

I have always admired the quote, "Pity be those who look to others for permission for their own pleasure."

People's negativity toward cowboy boots usually falls into one of two catagories. Some people don't like the look, and others find they just hurt their feet.

The people in the first catagory are usually not aware of all the different possibilties there are for designing cowboy boots. The first image the average person usually thinks of is a very pointy boot with a high underslung heel. One usually doesn't think about a very elegant boot with a classy square tapered French Toe, a lower, slighty tapered heel, and a rich chocolate brown or black French Calf or kangaroo leather with a nice highly polished finish. I have no problem wearing this sort of boot with a suit, or blazer to even the most dressy of occasions. Of course I like the other styles of boots also with jeans and other casual dress.

As far as the comfort factor goes, a well fitted boot will be your best friend, and a poorly fitted boot will be your worst nightmare. I heard a statistic that perhaps as many as 80% of boot wearers out there don't have properly fitting boots. I wouldn't be surprised if this is true for men's dress shoes also. Getting a proper fit is not an easy task, and for some like me, it is impossible without having them custom made. I have had boots made by most of the well known boot companies in El Paso, and elsewhere in Texas and Arizona. My favorite bootmaker is now in his 80's and has made boots for President Eisenhower. He has made me 10 pairs of boots during the past year, and they are the best fitting, best looking boots I have ever worn. Plus, I get a tremendous amount of pride and satisfaction knowing that I am wearing boots I designed myself, and each pair is one of a kind.

If anyone has any specific questions about cowboy boots, (either custom made or factory boots) please feel free to send me a personal message.

Jess

Shoe-nut

Reaction score
Just an observation living as I do here in LA that the trend of wearing western is rather out. Save for the traditional Mexican style worn here you will look like a nerd wearing them. Howard & Phils Western Stores used to permeate many of malls 15 or 20 years ago but they are all gone now. If western wear was indeed fashionable these days, those stores would be booming and never would have gone out of business.

Take a ride up to Bakersfield though and it is a completely different story many cowboys are walking around and generally seen everywhere. I even went to an antique show there which had an entire section devoted to vintage western wear. I could wear a pair boots here and fit right in.

Wearing cowboy boots with a suit ruins the whole effect of looking good. Yes, I own several pair of cowboy boots and even got married wearing a pair. But now I know better..........

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
But what about Mexicans?

I frequently see rather well-dressed Mexican men wear very fancy cowboy boots.

And Mexicans aren't part of the West? They were present over much of what we call "the West" centuries before us gabachos.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
And Mexicans aren't part of the West? They were present over much of what we call "the West" centuries before us gabachos.
I thought you were using the rather narrow and "contemporary" definition of West--hokey cowboys and Indians and Bush's costume closet sort of stuff.

marktimms

Reaction score
Since nobody seems to have an opinion on cowboy boots, I propose that we discuss the suitability of cowboy boots with a black suit for business wear, he, he.

dagenham

Reaction score
i think cowboy boots are fine, i wear them with some jeans and a simple white v-neck tee, ralph lauren style. even though i live in texas, i don't think its just a cowboy thing... besides, you really only see cowboys in the country and fort worth...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads