1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Cowboy boots

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mram65, Mar 6, 2002.

1. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

I've lived in Texas all my life and have not had one pair of 'cowboy' boots. Now, Red Wing work boots - I wore those off and on through my school years. Still wear them, but only in the hill country when I've got work to do.

2. stickonatree

stickonatree Senior member

What's the point of cowboy boots? Most men who wear them don't ride horses, drive tractors, or work at the rodeo. At best, cowboy boots represent a myth way past it's time or, alternatively, adolescence with a fat checkbook.

so are you saying the only people that should wear tennis shoes should play tennis?

3. Leslierc

Leslierc Senior member

so are you saying the only people that should wear tennis shoes should play tennis?

Since you've decided to split hairs with me, I'll return the favor: it's people "who" should wear tennis shoes...[​IMG]

4. fareau

fareau Senior member

What's the point of cowboy boots? Most men who wear them don't ride horses, drive tractors, or work at the rodeo. At best, cowboy boots represent a myth way past it's time or, alternatively, adolescence with a fat checkbook.

Don't rule them out just yet. The current styles go well beyond their utilitarian heritage. Although I do admit that years ago I would have agreed that that cowboy boots were a silly affectation, now I quite like them. I'm telling you, if you can buy a nice pair and break them in, you might (just might) change your tune.... [​IMG]

5. jmonroestyle

jmonroestyle Senior member

Threads about cowboy boots always seem to bring out peoples strong opinions. People rarely seem to be neutral with their thoughts about wearing cowboy boots.

Although I don't live in the South West and don't ride a horse or do any ranching, I have been proudly wearing my 30+ pairs of cowboy boots for the past 27 years and will continue to do so no matter what other's opinions of them are.

I have always admired the quote, "Pity be those who look to others for permission for their own pleasure."

People's negativity toward cowboy boots usually falls into one of two catagories. Some people don't like the look, and others find they just hurt their feet.

The people in the first catagory are usually not aware of all the different possibilties there are for designing cowboy boots. The first image the average person usually thinks of is a very pointy boot with a high underslung heel. One usually doesn't think about a very elegant boot with a classy square tapered French Toe, a lower, slighty tapered heel, and a rich chocolate brown or black French Calf or kangaroo leather with a nice highly polished finish. I have no problem wearing this sort of boot with a suit, or blazer to even the most dressy of occasions. Of course I like the other styles of boots also with jeans and other casual dress.

As far as the comfort factor goes, a well fitted boot will be your best friend, and a poorly fitted boot will be your worst nightmare. I heard a statistic that perhaps as many as 80% of boot wearers out there don't have properly fitting boots. I wouldn't be surprised if this is true for men's dress shoes also. Getting a proper fit is not an easy task, and for some like me, it is impossible without having them custom made. I have had boots made by most of the well known boot companies in El Paso, and elsewhere in Texas and Arizona. My favorite bootmaker is now in his 80's and has made boots for President Eisenhower. He has made me 10 pairs of boots during the past year, and they are the best fitting, best looking boots I have ever worn. Plus, I get a tremendous amount of pride and satisfaction knowing that I am wearing boots I designed myself, and each pair is one of a kind.

If anyone has any specific questions about cowboy boots, (either custom made or factory boots) please feel free to send me a personal message.

Jess

1 person likes this.
  6. Shoe-nut

Shoe-nut Senior member

Just an observation living as I do here in LA that the trend of wearing western is rather out. Save for the traditional Mexican style worn here you will look like a nerd wearing them. Howard & Phils Western Stores used to permeate many of malls 15 or 20 years ago but they are all gone now. If western wear was indeed fashionable these days, those stores would be booming and never would have gone out of business.

Take a ride up to Bakersfield though and it is a completely different story many cowboys are walking around and generally seen everywhere. I even went to an antique show there which had an entire section devoted to vintage western wear. I could wear a pair boots here and fit right in.

Wearing cowboy boots with a suit ruins the whole effect of looking good. Yes, I own several pair of cowboy boots and even got married wearing a pair. But now I know better..........

7. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

But what about Mexicans?

I frequently see rather well-dressed Mexican men wear very fancy cowboy boots.

And Mexicans aren't part of the West? They were present over much of what we call "the West" centuries before us gabachos.

8. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

And Mexicans aren't part of the West? They were present over much of what we call "the West" centuries before us gabachos.
    I thought you were using the rather narrow and "contemporary" definition of West--hokey cowboys and Indians and Bush's costume closet sort of stuff.

9. marktimms

marktimms Member

Since nobody seems to have an opinion on cowboy boots, I propose that we discuss the suitability of cowboy boots with a black suit for business wear, he, he.

10. dagenham

dagenham Senior member

i think cowboy boots are fine, i wear them with some jeans and a simple white v-neck tee, ralph lauren style. even though i live in texas, i don't think its just a cowboy thing... besides, you really only see cowboys in the country and fort worth...

11. kbuzz

kbuzz Senior member

One usually doesn't think about a very elegant boot with a classy square tapered French Toe, a lower, slighty tapered heel, and a rich chocolate brown or black French Calf or kangaroo leather with a nice highly polished finish.

for those of us who would like to make up our own minds about boots, would you be so kind as to post some pics or links to the type your mention here. It seems you are saying that this style is a bit more refined then the average "mall boot". Id think it would be very educational for us....

as for cowboy boots with suits....or even slacks.....i definatly need to be convinced. Although i did wear my rm williams with chinos the other day and got a few compliments.....although it felt odd to me as i have only worn boots with jeans

12. iamaloser

iamaloser Senior member

Hey guys, my boots just came in from the shop. I think they look pretty spiffy, don't you? [​IMG]

13. hmhill

hmhill Active Member

i think cowboy boots are fine, i wear them with some jeans and a simple white v-neck tee, ralph lauren style. even though i live in texas, i don't think its just a cowboy thing... besides, you really only see cowboys in the country and fort worth...

The following photograph is from April 1925 in Fort Worth, TX. There was a run on the Guaranty State Bank. It was located in the Wheat Building which is the current location of Del Frisco's Steakhouse and before that the men's clothing store, John L. Ashe.

[​IMG]

I think there are probably more people wearing cowboy attire in Fort Worth today than in the twenties. About the only time I wear my cowboy attire is when we had Pioneer Days, etc. at the Library--my former place of employment before I retired.

I probably one of the few Texans who actually had a relative who was a cowboy during the cattle drives days from about 1866-1876.

Max

14. jmonroestyle

jmonroestyle Senior member

for those of us who would like to make up our own minds about boots, would you be so kind as to post some pics or links to the type your mention here. It seems you are saying that this style is a bit more refined then the average "mall boot". Id think it would be very educational for us....

kbuzz,

Thanks asking, and for keeping an open mind about cowboy boots.

Here is a link which shows some photos of some of my boots.

http://badassboots2003.com/members/J...tyle/index.htm

Examples of the dressy square French toed boots I was describing would be the first pair of black Rios of Mercedes boots (in the upper left corner), the Lucchese boots, and the all black J.B. Hill boots. Incidently J.B. Hill boots are specifically designed as more of a businessman's boot that might be worn with a suit or other dressy attire. I don't imagine there are too many people that would wear them for cleaning out the barn.

Jess

15. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Senior member

Cowboy boots are a option. It seems that people who dislike them feel more strongly about them that those who view them as an option in footwear.
    It is also noted that many cowboy boots are still made in the USA, compared to the few USA quality shoes being made. Also, there are many bespoke boots makers in the USA.

16. dagenham

dagenham Senior member

The following photograph is from April 1925 in Fort Worth, TX. There was a run on the Guaranty State Bank. It was located in the Wheat Building which is the current location of Del Frisco's Steakhouse and before that the men's clothing store, John L. Ashe.

[​IMG]

I think there are probably more people wearing cowboy attire in Fort Worth today than in the twenties. About the only time I wear my cowboy attire is when we had Pioneer Days, etc. at the Library--my former place of employment before I retired.

I probably one of the few Texans who actually had a relative who was a cowboy during the cattle drives days from about 1866-1876.

Max

great picture! i wish it still looked like that.... and i was referring to the current state of fort worth in reference to "cowboys" as you suggested. one trip to the stockyards will confirm that...

17. seamless74

seamless74 Senior member

i think every man should own a pair of cowboy boots at some point in his life... im from oklahoma i know but still... its just kinda a man thing no? however with the emasculation of the american male over the last 20 years or so i could see why some of you would prefer to wear chucks with your jeans and t shirts..

18. Schnurretiger

Schnurretiger Senior member

Okay, my favourite pair of shoes is actually a pair of harness boots, pretty similar to these, only in brown. They are the best fitting and most comfortable pair of shoes I own, probably owing to the craftsmanship that has gone into them. They are 6 years old by now, I wore them so often, I don't remember how often in fact and yes, sometimes even several days in a row (that's pre-sf-days). Before that, I had another pair for nearly 10 years and they were just as great.
    I tried them on with a pair of navy chinos recently and I have to admit: it didn't look that odd. By the way: if you've got a dog, boots are the best thing to wear while being outside: just scrub off the dirt afterwards, reproof the boots with some good wax and your're set for the next puddles and rainshowers.

19. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

Funny how these old threads resurface sometimes. As I mentioned in my first post, largely as a legacy of having lived in Texas for five years, I used to wear cowboy boots a great deal of the time. (Now I feel like a doofus for having done so!) Anyway, I can recall one time, almost exactly 20 years ago when I had an automotive breakdown and after leaving my car for repair decided to walk back to my apartment several miles away. I was wearing cowboy boots, Justins, as I recall. Anyway, by the time I got back to my place, the soles of my feet were horribly blistered. Had I been wearing the A-E Berglands I have on at the moment (or just about any of the other A-Es I own), I would have experienced nothing more than some invigorating exercise.

Around 1992, I began having all manner of foot pains. I forsook the cowboy boots for shoes, and the pains vanished immediately. The cowboy boots I owned were good quality--mostly Lucchese.

20. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

Ok, I like these:

[​IMG]

A few questions:

1) I wear tight jeans, I have no intention of wearing them tucked in these boots. Is this type of shaft wearable under jeans or is it too wide for jeans with 6-7" hems?
    2) They're resistol which I think is Lucchese made in Mexico line, I like their shape better but are they total crap?
    3) Any other brands I should look into, I don't like the square toe ones.