1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Cowboy boots

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mram65, Mar 6, 2002.

1. Swan Song

Swan Song Senior member

Your welcome

another favorite boot, a very vintage (1970's) Lucchese (San Antonio) in a glove soft French Calf, with conchos decorating the mule ear pulls. Aged to a gorgeous golden patina.

Literally like wearing gloves on your feet, they are so comfortable.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Swan Song

Swan Song Senior member

vintage Dan Post African Bullfrog (1970's) in cognac
    [​IMG]

3. dsmolken

dsmolken Senior member

Wow. Nice to see how bullfrog looks with a few decades of wear. I've been thinking about picking up a pair...

4. Swan Song

Swan Song Senior member

How about a nice vintage White Label(pre merger with Justin in 1981) Nocona boot in Elephant, gray in color.

wears like iron as you can see, yet a soft and flexible leather.
    [​IMG]

5. Swan Song

Swan Song Senior member

Too hot to wear cowboy boots this time of year (mid-August in the mid-Atlantic), but I still like them alot. I've got two pairs - one pair of Lucchesse and one pair of Tony Lama. I wore them a decent amount in the 90s but have been wearing them less and less. Now, maybe once or twice a year. They take up space in the closet but... no way I'm getting rid of them.

Well, here's an idea.....Cole Haan Bargano Woven Leather Cowboy "styled" boot.

Kinda citified, but glove soft inside and out, not hot at all. Made in Italy.

And of course, love that aged, cognac patina.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Swan Song

Swan Song Senior member

My vintage Sea Turtle in brown, made in Mexico in the 1970's. I bought them from the original owner and he couldn't quite remember exactly, but thought it was 1970-72.

They have areas of wear from spurs, so they were a working boot for him.
    [​IMG]

7. Xenos

Xenos Senior member

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángele
    African Bullfrog, Swan Song? Now you're just showing off! Never seen boots made of that skin. Those are really beautiful. Very nice. Thanks for posting.

8. Swan Song

Swan Song Senior member

African Bullfrog, Swan Song? Now you're just showing off!

Never seen boots made of that skin. Those are really beautiful. Very nice.

Thanks for posting.

Thanks, and soft as budda, too.

9. Swan Song

Swan Song Senior member

And a vintage (early 1970's from the label) large scale Anteater in gray. It has aged gracefully, and are extremely comfortable.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. dsmolken

dsmolken Senior member

That is some big anteater.

11. Swan Song

Swan Song Senior member

That is some big anteater.

yes, back before they discovered how the big scale peels up if not conditioned often. They went to a strickly small scale to combat that since they were naturally more flexible. These were well maintained, no peeling-up of the scales.

Now, how about an elegant French Calf (Wellington style)in a deep emerald. Another one that is soft as budda. Custom made in Houston (but fits me,too. [​IMG] )
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Swan Song

Swan Song Senior member

What? Nobody has Cowboy Boots to share?

drag 'em out and take a picture.

Blucher Boot custom made in Oklahoma 30-40 years ago(maybe longer)

Burgundy vamp, shaft has inlaid blue butterflies inside a lighter shade of burgundy.

Made for someone who had a foot just like mine. These are extremely comfortable to wear, and extremely well made.

French calf vamp
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. emptym

emptym Senior member Moderator

Some day, I would like to attend these classes and make my own.

14. dsmolken

dsmolken Senior member

What? Nobody has Cowboy Boots to share
    Nothing as nice or interesting as yours. But here's a picture I took a few years ago, and then my feet got bigger in both length and width... I still have only three of these pairs.

[​IMG]

I've picked up three more pairs since then but haven't photographed them yet.

15. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Since my previous post in this thread (since it has been revived), I picked up a pair of Ariats on ebay for $25 - plain black with a bit of stitching on top and a cushioned heel. They're my Friday boot. May consider a more traditional pair someday.

16. TexasLidig8r

TexasLidig8r Senior member

Am in Dallas,

Will take pics of mine tonight.

I don't wear them with suits to court but with jeans, etc.

Mine include:

1). Sea Lion
    2). Burnt orange Ostrich with kangaroo tops and a burnt orange longhorn in ostrich on the front
    3). Anteater in chocolate brown
    4). black crocodile with hand tooled leather top

All bespoke. There's a bootmaker in Oklahoma who measures your foot 6 different ways, makes a cast of your foot and then makes the boot around it. His are incredibly comfortable.

17. Swan Song

Swan Song Senior member

Nothing as nice or interesting as yours. But here's a picture I took a few years ago, and then my feet got bigger in both length and width... I still have only three of these pairs.

[​IMG]

I've picked up three more pairs since then but haven't photographed them yet.

Well, those StingRay are most interesting, I have seen it but do not have a pair. Were they easy on the foot? I was told they are tough to break in.

And back on the right, are those Elephant? Those must be comfortable, I know they wear like iron.

Cool looking lace-ups in the front row ,too.

18. Swan Song

Swan Song Senior member

Am in Dallas,

Will take pics of mine tonight.

I don't wear them with suits to court but with jeans, etc.

Mine include:

1). Sea Lion
    2). Burnt orange Ostrich with kangaroo tops and a burnt orange longhorn in ostrich on the front
    3). Anteater in chocolate brown
    4). black crocodile with hand tooled leather top

All bespoke. There's a bootmaker in Oklahoma who measures your foot 6 different ways, makes a cast of your foot and then makes the boot around it. His are incredibly comfortable.

You can PM me if you do not want his name out, and he be swamped. I'm located between you and him.

Never seen nor heard of Sea Lion being used for boots, can't wait to see pictures.

19. dsmolken

dsmolken Senior member

Well, those StingRay are most interesting, I have seen it but do not have a pair. Were they easy on the foot? I was told they are tough to break in.

And back on the right, are those Elephant? Those must be comfortable, I know they wear like iron.

Cool looking lace-ups in the front row ,too.

The stingray are Black Jacks, they weren't too bad to break in at first but became uncomfortable as my feet got bigger and wouldn't stretch... Definitely less flexible skin than elephant or shark. The back right are indeed elephant on a crepe sole, cheap but comfortable and solid. The left front pair are a copy of 1930s cavalry boots made somewhere in Mexico, quite nice.

20. Swan Song

Swan Song Senior member

The stingray are Black Jacks, they weren't too bad to break in at first but became uncomfortable as my feet got bigger and wouldn't stretch... Definitely less flexible skin than elephant or shark. The back right are indeed elephant on a crepe sole, cheap but comfortable and solid. The left front pair are a copy of 1930s cavalry boots made somewhere in Mexico, quite nice.

Less than elephant? Yikes, I might stay away, I thought my elephants took a long time!

Those ostrich ain't shabby.... they are so easy on the feet, and are timeless in style.

Who makes the ostrich?

Stewart Boot in chocolate calf. Great feel, leather is very soft to the touch. Great work boot.
    [​IMG]