• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I'm getting fat.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Exercise is great, but if you're gaining weight, you'll need to cut calories. Limit your alcohol, soda, and fast-food consumption. Substitute healthy foods like fruits and nuts for sugary snacks. Incorporate more fiber (whole-wheat bread, fruits, veggies) into your diet. If you're eating in a campus dining hall, do not take advantage of the all-you-can eat policy.

I have no data that supports this, but I suspect the low-carb diets work primarily because they remind people that sugars are carbohydrates.

TheHoff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thinman
I have no data that supports this, but I suspect the low-carb diets work primarily because they remind people that sugars are carbohydrates.

Right... Many people are addicted to sugars / simple carbs so going low-carb for a while will break the addiction and make weight-loss easier... IMO.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
Please. For God's sake, Connie is 19. Run. "Jogging" or walking is for old men or women.
tounge.gif

Get a gym membership and use the treadmills. If you stay dependent of the weather and wait till it cools down to exercise, comes winter, you'll get obese. Seriously.

laugh.gif
Actually that was part of my point. Since he is ONLY 19, he should not have to go the gym and waste several hours per day acting like a hamster or body builder. His body is still young, so just by cutting out junk and walking a little more, instead of sitting on the couch and using the car all time should do the trick.

If his hobby is body building, or if he likes the hamster machine, that`s a different story.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ To expound the point, there are 7 calorie in each gram of alcohol compared to 4 in a gram of carbohydrates.
Granted, alcoholic drinks are all diluted, but the calories add up quickly. For example, a shot (25ml) of gin contains 50 cal.

I think it's actually a bit more than that for many gins... more like 65 calories.

25 ml x .47 (47% by volume for Bombay Sapphire, for example) = 11.75 ml

11.75 ml x 0.785 (specific gravity of ethyl alcohol) = 9.22g x 7 kcal/g = 65 calories. 80 proof gin would be more like 55 calories, though.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dragon
laugh.gif
Actually that was part of my point. Since he is ONLY 19, he should not have to go the gym and waste several hours per day acting like a hamster or body builder. His body is still young, so just by cutting out junk and walking a little more, instead of sitting on the couch and using the car all time should do the trick.

If his hobby is body building, or if he likes the hamster machine, that`s a different story.

Actually being young is the best time to lift weights, as your testosterone levels are higher than later in life.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
Actually being young is the best time to lift weights, as your testosterone levels are higher than later in life.
This is Conne's thread dude, don't forget.
lol8[1].gif

I tried 5-ish (5-7 reps) x 5 sets today, with very short breaks, and it worked pretty well. I'm going to try keeping that up for a while as I was able to do a lot more total work in the same amount of time. In the shower I could barely get my arms up to wash my hair.
smile.gif

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
I tried 5-ish (5-7 reps) x 5 sets today, with very short breaks, and it worked pretty well. I'm going to try keeping that up for a while as I was able to do a lot more total work in the same amount of time. In the shower I could barely get my arms up to wash my hair.
smile.gif

How much weight did you use?

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
This is Conne's thread dude, don't forget.
lol8[1].gif

smile.gif

This is true, I also forgot about the manboobs from high estrogen he was talking about before... hmm maybe he needs some aromasin and nandralone heh

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
How much weight did you use?
I did curls, upright rows and military presses with 20lb (+the bars) dumbbells (yeah I'm weak, plus my back can't handle heavy loads overhead), and about 30 total pushups in sets, which is probably more than I've done in the last year. I did a 1/2 mile on the treadmill alternating from walking at 4-ish mph to running carefully at about 6 mph for a couple of minutes back to walking slower, etc.

CTGuy

Made Guy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
Alcohol really does give you that gut. It's funny to see all the really thin and in shape sorority girls around campus with that little pooch from drinking.

Are you Jovan is disguise? Just asking.

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay Connie,

Just to be healthy and fit without too much effort.

There's 2 parts:
1. The Workout:

For you, you want to build some muscle (which will help you burn more calories at rest) and lose some fat.

Something along these lines, you need not spend more than 30 minutes to 45 max in the gym

For example:

I'm still appling a one thousand concentric with 2 to 4 thousand eccentric with drop down to stimulate type II muscle twitch hypertrophy and to hit fast and slow twitch muscle fibers while minimizing injury. What this means is mid range weight. People say FIT is King clothes, well FORM is king in working out, not your ego.

Intensity is high, using Ipod Nano with various 'high energy' music. workouts are short 30 to 40 minutes max.

Train primarily:
Day One: Chest/abs/calves
Day Two: Shoulders/abs/calves
Day Three: Cardio
Day Four: Back/abs/calves
Day Five: Bi/Tri
Day Six: Cardio
Day Seven: Legs

2. The Food Plan:

I suggest you snack often, eating every 3 hours however you must pay attention to SUGAR first, Fat content second. NO Junk food unless she's hot and wants some.

I would eat a minimum of 6 times a day, there's loads of reasons why you want to to this but just do it. Yes, eating more frequent helps you lose weight, and also helps you from binging at only 3 meals. But it's got to be low sugar, high fiber healthy food!!! Not crap! You can't put crap into car clothes etc and expect it to run or look good same for your body!

I'm eating 6 to 7 times a day. Mostly 40 P/40 C/20 F

I would but some

Supplements:
These supplements are cheap and HEALTHY!!

WATER: Most people don't drink enought water, It's easy, just drink at least 3 big glasses a day you'll feel better.

THINFAT:
(yes, you need fat, but healthy fat, to help you burn fat, and a host of other reasons) and it would probably help your sorry ass liver
laugh.gif

http://www.evitamins.com/product.asp?pid=1902

FIBER:
: one thing the US and college kids don't get enough of usually is Fiber.

http://www.discountanabolics.com/p/VP31

High fiber diets are now recommended by the National Academy of Sciences, the National Cancer Institute, and the Food and Nutrition Board.

"¢ Fiber relieves constipation by making the stool bulkier and softer.
"¢ Fiber stops diarrhea by absorbing excess water in the stool and, therefore, helps minimize colitis.
"¢ Fiber helps relieve hemorrhoids, diverticulosis, discomfort and IBS(Irritable Bowel Syndrome).
"¢ Fiber provides protection against gall stones.
"¢ Fiber helps heal and prevent ulcers.
"¢ A high fiber diet helps control weight, reduce cholesterol and control blood sugar.
---

I can go on but just
1. Make a plan get a smartphone or planner
2. Implement the plan
3. Post pictures of your sorry ass so we will make fun of you and force you to improve yourself
wink.gif

----
If you want an even quicker and easier non gym at home workout this is actually a decent all over program:

You should be able to handle this, if you can't there is no hope for you
laugh.gif

http://www.amazon.com/Minute-Workout...1774551&sr=8-2

Good Luck!

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ok, I'm going to cut out the ****** sugary snacks. Do these foods sound good?

-Figs.
-Bananas.
-Organic deli meats (turkey, prosciutto, ham and chicken salad mostly).
-Oatmeal.
-Potatoes.
-Meats/chicken breasts for dinner.
-Various other fruits n' veggies.

I really want a bacon egg and cheese sandwich right now.
frown.gif

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CTGuy
Are you Jovan is disguise? Just asking.
Funny thing, i actually live only about 5-10 miles from him. I've never met him, but UF is crawling with really attractive sorority girls. God bless em'. Although, i was at FSU last weekend and the girls there really put the ones here to shame. As good a reason as ever to transfer. Conny, be careful with some of those things. I didn't think chicken salad was that great for you(i thought it was mostly mayonaise, but i don't eat it anyways). Stick with turkey and even roast beef for deli meat(ham is really ***** compared to turkey). Also, cut the mayo and cheese with sandwiches and you'll save yourself a bunch. Make sure you don't just get normal flavored oatmeal at the supermarket as it is loaded with sugar. Try to get some almost porridge stuff that's plain with no sugar added and then add some fruit or something. Also be careful with potatoes and how you cook them and how often you eat them as they're not terrible for you, but you could do better with some nicer more whole grains.

Bandwagonesque

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I always thought organic deli meat was the biggest scam. Deli meats are so salted, *****, and so loaded with nitrates and preservatives that organic or not, it's still not good for you.

A good way to get fiber in your diet is to buy a small blade coffee grinder. Go to a bulk foods store and buy a pound or so of flax seed, unground. Grind up a cup of flax and go through that in a week by adding it to your morning cereal. Add it to any baking as well - ground flax acts similar to eggs in holding together batter. Flax is full of omega 3, fiber, and protein. It's good stuff, though if you add too much, the taste could take some getting use to.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads