• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I'm getting fat.

alflauren

Reaction score
Running can be hell on the knees. I'm 27 and in good shape, but I can't tolerate more than a couple of miles of running. I just have too much joint pain the next day.

Solution: a recumbent stationary bike. It's low impact, great exercise, and I can totally zone out while I exercise rather than worry about stepping in a pothole or getting hit by a car.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by alflauren
Running can be hell on the knees. I'm 27 and in good shape, but I can't tolerate more than a couple of miles of running. I just have too much joint pain the next day.

Solution: a recumbent stationary bike. It's low impact, great exercise, and I can totally zone out while I exercise rather than worry about stepping in a pothole or getting hit by a car.

I actually have a recumbent bike in my basement. About time I put it to use.

Bandwagonesque

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't exercise or do anything when it's 30 C outside. I either run out of water after 20 minutes, or have difficulty breathing the smoggy air. I bought a 2L Camelbak for cycling... in hot weater it lasts me an hour.

I'm going to try to wake up for 6 AM tomorrow to get some early cycling in, even though my joints are still fucked.

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bandwagonesque
I can't exercise or do anything when it's 30 C outside. I either run out of water after 20 minutes, or have difficulty breathing the smoggy air.

How much do you run? I used to feel this way, especially my first summer here in Philly, where the humidity combined with daily temperatures upwards of 90 degrees (32+ C?) took me by surprise completely. Now that I've been working out seriously for a few years, the heat and humidity bother me a lot less than they used to. It feels horrible for the first few minutes, but I adjust, and aside from breaking a sweat about ten times faster, everything is pretty much as normal.

I also do sprint intervals much more frequently than distance runs, though, so that might have something to do with it.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't exercise or do anything when it's 30 C outside. I either run out of water after 20 minutes, or have difficulty breathing the smoggy air. I bought a 2L Camelbak for cycling... in hot weater it lasts me an hour.

I'm going to try to wake up for 6 AM tomorrow to get some early cycling in, even though my joints are still fucked.

Living in Texas, I mostly run in the early mornings or during sunset, or even around 10PM
laugh.gif
when I'm too busy with other things. Still pretty hot compared to Canada, so it does take a while to get used to. 20 minutes isn't bad either, as long as you cover at least 3 miles in that time.

Liberty Ship

Reaction score
Originally Posted by VMan
Gin & Diet Tonic, porky.

Concur. If it is just your stomach balooning out, you could have the beginnings of what they are now calling Syndrome X. Go to a diet like South Beach. Basically cut out all carbs for a couple of weeks, then reintroduce them judiciously, and then only whole grains. No sugar or sweets at all, ever. Gin and diet tonic is a good buzz with zero carbs.

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Running is what burns fat best. But is hard on the knees so for me Cycling is the sport of choice.... you can also skate, that would give you a nice ass
devil.gif
!

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Liberty Ship
Concur. If it is just your stomach balooning out, you could have the beginnings of what they are now calling Syndrome X. Go to a diet like South Beach. Basically cut out all carbs for a couple of weeks, then reintroduce them judiciously, and then only whole grains. No sugar or sweets at all, ever. Gin and diet tonic is a good buzz with zero carbs.
Alcohol is pretty calorie dense even if it isn't a sugar per se. It's metabolized by alcohol dehydrogenase to pyruvate and then enters the TCA cycle along with sugars. I wouldn't include it in a diet of any sort.

SUPER K

Reaction score
Good point, drizzt3117 . I 've really cut back since my tri coach said to think of alcohol as liquid candy.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ To expound the point, there are 7 calorie in each gram of alcohol compared to 4 in a gram of carbohydrates.
Granted, alcoholic drinks are all diluted, but the calories add up quickly. For example, a shot (25ml) of gin contains 50 cal.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^^ Alcohol also makes you retain water and slows down your metabolism. It is like three strikes in one.

TheHoff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
^^ Alcohol also makes you retain water and slows down your metabolism. It is like three strikes in one.
And beer gut is not a myth; it will deposit right around the midsection and you will end up skinny-fat. I wouldn't start running or serious cycling without adding in resistance training as well as you aren't fat all over.

Bandwagonesque

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt

Does it? I thought it was a diuretic and makes you piss like a racehorse?

TheHoff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does it? I thought it was a diuretic and makes you piss like a racehorse?

Diuretic Effect: Alcohol is a diuretic that blocks vasopressin (Anti-Diuretic Hormone) from regulating the osmotic gradient of the blood, therefore it is not the overall amount of fluids, but the total alcohol content that affects urination frequency (i.e. one pint of ale will make you piss as much as a good-sized shot of hard alcohol).

(erowid)

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads