1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

I'm getting fat.

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Connemara, Jun 12, 2007.

1. CTGuy

CTGuy Senior member

Alcohol really does give you that gut. It's funny to see all the really thin and in shape sorority girls around campus with that little pooch from drinking.

Are you Jovan is disguise? Just asking.

2. Soph

Soph Senior member

Okay Connie,

Just to be healthy and fit without too much effort.

There's 2 parts:
    1. The Workout:

For you, you want to build some muscle (which will help you burn more calories at rest) and lose some fat.

Something along these lines, you need not spend more than 30 minutes to 45 max in the gym

For example:

I'm still appling a one thousand concentric with 2 to 4 thousand eccentric with drop down to stimulate type II muscle twitch hypertrophy and to hit fast and slow twitch muscle fibers while minimizing injury. What this means is mid range weight. People say FIT is King clothes, well FORM is king in working out, not your ego.

Intensity is high, using Ipod Nano with various 'high energy' music. workouts are short 30 to 40 minutes max.

Train primarily:
    Day One: Chest/abs/calves
    Day Two: Shoulders/abs/calves
    Day Three: Cardio
    Day Four: Back/abs/calves
    Day Five: Bi/Tri
    Day Six: Cardio
    Day Seven: Legs

2. The Food Plan:

I suggest you snack often, eating every 3 hours however you must pay attention to SUGAR first, Fat content second. NO Junk food unless she's hot and wants some.

I would eat a minimum of 6 times a day, there's loads of reasons why you want to to this but just do it. Yes, eating more frequent helps you lose weight, and also helps you from binging at only 3 meals. But it's got to be low sugar, high fiber healthy food!!! Not crap! You can't put crap into car clothes etc and expect it to run or look good same for your body!

I'm eating 6 to 7 times a day. Mostly 40 P/40 C/20 F

I would but some

Supplements:
    These supplements are cheap and HEALTHY!!

WATER: Most people don't drink enought water, It's easy, just drink at least 3 big glasses a day you'll feel better.

THINFAT:
    (yes, you need fat, but healthy fat, to help you burn fat, and a host of other reasons) and it would probably help your sorry ass liver [​IMG]
    http://www.evitamins.com/product.asp?pid=1902

FIBER:
    : one thing the US and college kids don't get enough of usually is Fiber.

http://www.discountanabolics.com/p/VP31

High fiber diets are now recommended by the National Academy of Sciences, the National Cancer Institute, and the Food and Nutrition Board.

"¢ Fiber relieves constipation by making the stool bulkier and softer.
    "¢ Fiber stops diarrhea by absorbing excess water in the stool and, therefore, helps minimize colitis.
    "¢ Fiber helps relieve hemorrhoids, diverticulosis, discomfort and IBS(Irritable Bowel Syndrome).
    "¢ Fiber provides protection against gall stones.
    "¢ Fiber helps heal and prevent ulcers.
    "¢ A high fiber diet helps control weight, reduce cholesterol and control blood sugar.
    ---

I can go on but just
    1. Make a plan get a smartphone or planner
    2. Implement the plan
    3. Post pictures of your sorry ass so we will make fun of you and force you to improve yourself [​IMG]

----
    If you want an even quicker and easier non gym at home workout this is actually a decent all over program:

You should be able to handle this, if you can't there is no hope for you[​IMG]

http://www.amazon.com/Minute-Workout...1774551&sr=8-2

Good Luck!

3. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

Ok, I'm going to cut out the shitty sugary snacks. Do these foods sound good?

-Figs.
    -Bananas.
    -Organic deli meats (turkey, prosciutto, ham and chicken salad mostly).
    -Oatmeal.
    -Potatoes.
    -Meats/chicken breasts for dinner.
    -Various other fruits n' veggies.

I really want a bacon egg and cheese sandwich right now. [​IMG]

4. chronoaug

chronoaug Senior member

Are you Jovan is disguise? Just asking.
    Funny thing, i actually live only about 5-10 miles from him. I've never met him, but UF is crawling with really attractive sorority girls. God bless em'. Although, i was at FSU last weekend and the girls there really put the ones here to shame. As good a reason as ever to transfer. Conny, be careful with some of those things. I didn't think chicken salad was that great for you(i thought it was mostly mayonaise, but i don't eat it anyways). Stick with turkey and even roast beef for deli meat(ham is really fatty compared to turkey). Also, cut the mayo and cheese with sandwiches and you'll save yourself a bunch. Make sure you don't just get normal flavored oatmeal at the supermarket as it is loaded with sugar. Try to get some almost porridge stuff that's plain with no sugar added and then add some fruit or something. Also be careful with potatoes and how you cook them and how often you eat them as they're not terrible for you, but you could do better with some nicer more whole grains.

5. Bandwagonesque

Bandwagonesque Senior member

I always thought organic deli meat was the biggest scam. Deli meats are so salted, fatty, and so loaded with nitrates and preservatives that organic or not, it's still not good for you.

A good way to get fiber in your diet is to buy a small blade coffee grinder. Go to a bulk foods store and buy a pound or so of flax seed, unground. Grind up a cup of flax and go through that in a week by adding it to your morning cereal. Add it to any baking as well - ground flax acts similar to eggs in holding together batter. Flax is full of omega 3, fiber, and protein. It's good stuff, though if you add too much, the taste could take some getting use to.

6. TheHoff

TheHoff Senior member

Ok, I'm going to cut out the shitty sugary snacks. Do these foods sound good?

-Figs.
    -Bananas.
    -Organic deli meats (turkey, prosciutto, ham and chicken salad mostly).
    -Oatmeal.
    -Potatoes.
    -Meats/chicken breasts for dinner.
    -Various other fruits n' veggies.

I really want a bacon egg and cheese sandwich right now. [​IMG]

Trade apples for bananas as your main fruit.

If you want prosciutto and bacon on a diet, cut out the carbs altogether and go for it.

7. spertia

spertia Senior member

I'm still appling a one thousand concentric with 2 to 4 thousand eccentric with drop down to stimulate type II muscle twitch hypertrophy and to hit fast and slow twitch muscle fibers while minimizing injury.

I just read this sentence five times in a row and am still scratching my head. [​IMG]

8. chronoaug

chronoaug Senior member

Oh yea, and organic doesn't mean healthier. While it certainly seems like it'd be better for you, testing and other long term research is still happening, and especially for weight loss, it means nothing. For you, there is no difference between organic, natural, and other meats/foods. Worry about the calories, fat content, carbs, fiber, etc... not food buzz words.

9. Dragon

Dragon Senior member

Actually being young is the best time to lift weights, as your testosterone levels are higher than later in life.

Well, his original post says his main concern was his ballooning stomach. Weight lifting does not address that problem.

You don`t have to lift weights to be thin anyway. At such a young age like 19, you should be able to live a normal healthy life, still enjoy a few drinks at weekend parties, and remain in good shape.

10. whacked

whacked Senior member

Well, his original post says his main concern was his ballooning stomach. Weight lifting does not address that problem.

Yes it does. A well thought out weigh lifting routine in addition to a solid diet and some cardio (or sports) is the only surefire way to make noticable changes in body composition (fat weight vs. muscle/lean weight). One can be thin and still spots a "beer bum"; skinny fat people are everywhere now.

11. Gradstudent78

Gradstudent78 Senior member

Yes it does. A well thought out weigh lifting routine in addition to a solid diet and some cardio (or sports) is the only surefire way to make noticable changes in body composition (fat weight vs. muscle/lean weight). One can be thin and still spots a "beer bum"; skinny fat people are everywhere now.

I wouldn't say weightlifting is the "only surefire way to make noticable changes in body composition", but it does help you retain a greater percentage of lean tissue when cutting weight.

12. Pim

Pim Active Member

I quit drinking beer and that helped me alot, at my frat the baco(lights..) are only 3$ but if you go to clubs 3/4 times a week I can imagine that doesn't work. If we go to a club we just get a mildly drunk at home and only have a few of the 20$ baco's [​IMG].

13. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

I wouldn't say weightlifting is the "only surefire way to make noticable changes in body composition", but it does help you retain a greater percentage of lean tissue when cutting weight.

I actually would agree with that if you're talking about long term changes in body composition. The problem with cardio and diet fueled weight loss is the fact that your metabolism is decreased because the amount of lean body mass you carry is typically decreased, meaning that you need to eat less and less and exercise more and more to stay the same weight or continue losses. This is why we have all these threads where people are saying "How do I lose those last five pounds?" The simple fact is that weight is just a number, and really not that important in the overall scheme of things, while BF% is going to play a bigger role in your appearance. Lifting weights will allow you to have lower BF% and increase your metabolism, making "weight loss" easier and more permanent.

14. Dragon

Dragon Senior member

In other words, you really don`t need the weight lifting. Just stick with the healthy diet and do a little sports.

15. Saucemaster

Saucemaster Senior member

In other words, you really don`t need the weight lifting. Just stick with the healthy diet and do a little sports.

Well, you don't really NEED the cardio, either, if you really want to get down to it--you could just starve yourself and be done with it. The question's what kind of results you want. If you want strength and muscle definition, some kind of resistance training is going to be essential, unless you have incredibly good genetics.

16. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

I think he meant cardio or sports, not sports in lieu of weight training. Doing sports is not going to build muscle the same way weightlifting is, unless you're doing something like strongman competitions. Many sports are going to require weight training to participate in a competitive manner in any case (unless you're Herschel Walker)

17. whacked

whacked Senior member

I think he meant cardio or sports, not sports in lieu of weight training. Doing sports is not going to build muscle the same way weightlifting is, unless you're doing something like strongman competitions. Many sports are going to require weight training to participate in a competitive manner in any case (unless you're Herschel Walker)

That's exactly what I meant. Unless you include competitive football, basketball or lacrosse into your "a little sports" category.

18. Dragon

Dragon Senior member

Well, you don't really NEED the cardio, either, if you really want to get down to it--you could just starve yourself and be done with it. The question's what kind of results you want. If you want strength and muscle definition, some kind of resistance training is going to be essential, unless you have incredibly good genetics.

I agree.

At 19, you don`t need weight lifting or cardio. You just need to eat healthy. That`s what I have been saying.

19. Saucemaster

Saucemaster Senior member

I agree.

At 19, you don`t need weight lifting or cardio. You just need to eat healthy. That`s what I have been saying.

I guess, but why not go for the best of both worlds? You're 19, your body will recover faster and you'll build muscle easier, why not start developing good habits now, and in the process build a better body?

20. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

I agree.

Sure, it's a great way to be skinny fat with zero muscle tone, IF you can stick to the diet.