• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Eating in DC

rubylith

Reaction score
Ugh...avoid the sushi at Nooshi.

The Guards isn't far from Foggy Bottom--great "upscale" bar food, especially the burgers. I second Bangkok Bistro. I used to work close by, and it was the perfect place to sit outside and take long lunches, when the boss was out of town.

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wpeters
You should be very careful taking advice from someone who expresses this opinion, particularly when it's followed up by:

Having said that, the previous posters were spot on with a bunch of suggestions, including some of my favorites: Two Amy's, Pizza Paradiso, Bistro du Coin, Matchbox, Jaleo, Tryst, and Cafe St. Ex.

I'd add New Orleans Cafe in Adams Morgan. It's small, but the food is inexpensive and good.

Also, Breadline for lunch if you're up for quick takeout. I haven't been in a couple of years, but it was always packed and good when I worked down there.

Cactus Cantina on Wisconsin and Loriel Plaza in Adams Morgan (same ownership) are solid picks for Mexican.

If you're looking for something more expensive, Cashion's is a good value in its price range.

haha are you kidding me, seriously????

Kinkeads is really really good and the service is very good. Old Ebbits is really good too. Dont try to come out say and you should be careful of taking my advice. Sure you may have been to Kinkeads and you might of not liked it but I assure you most people who have went there think its one of the best resteraunts in D.C. Old Ebbits is considered a landmark in DC so STFU

I think all the places I listed people think are good. I listed placed I dont like as well jsut because other people like them (I.E. Old Glory)

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
By the way, you should also try Afghan Grill...its in Adams Morgan. Best afgan food in DC. Tryst is like busboys and poet in a way.

Go Surface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
J.Pauls. It's ok. Crab cakes are good.

Penang: Malaysian. Excellent grub, right across from Burberry. Sort of.

Froggy Bottom Pub is not bad. They take Gworld. There are also a bunch of restaurants in the Marvin Center, which is part of GWU.

Galileo: Never eaten there.

Tandoori & Grill: Indian. Yummy.

Uno's: Very snooty Georgetown students who are waiters there. Even snootier to you if you by chance go to GWU.

Johnny Rockets: Great burgers.

And some other restaurants I cant think of the names of.

Go Surface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh yes, and Lauriol Plaza rocks. Last time I was there, a drunk 50 year old woman slammed head first into a glass door. It was righteous.

Alero is good too, and if you ever get into Rockville, try Sushi house. Great, cheap food. Oh, and I had Sushi at Saki in adams morgan the other week. Very nice.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I enjoy "La Tiere Bouchon" in Fairfax. French, quiet, small, nice ambience, good service, great food.

Best,
Huntsman

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GoSurface
Johnny Rockets: Great burgers.

yeah, i just noticed there's one on the foggy bottom/GW campus area. around pennsylvania and 18th, i think? i think in the mini-mall that has the au bon pain and burro.

i usually go to the one at pentagon city as a quick stopover - i.e., whenever i'm riding through.

is the one on M street still there?

Go Surface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NoVaguy
yeah, i just noticed there's one on the foggy bottom/GW campus area. around pennsylvania and 18th, i think? i think in the mini-mall that has the au bon pain and burro.

i usually go to the one at pentagon city as a quick stopover - i.e., whenever i'm riding through.

Yes, it's still there. There's also one around Dupont Circle. Right next to Alero, I think.

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No offense to GoSurface...but I think Johnny Rockets absolutely sucks. Their burgers are worse then Fat Burger and I dont htink Fat Burger is all that great....

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ghulkhan
No offense to GoSurface...but I think Johnny Rockets absolutely sucks. Their burgers are worse then Fat Burger and I dont htink Fat Burger is all that great....

Their burgers are okay, certainly above the Burger King and McDonald's varieties.

On a different note, my gf and I went to the Maine Ave Fish Market today. What a lively place! We ate some seafood there, and got a dozen steamed crabs as well as some red snapper fillets for later. We'll certainly be back.

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yea they are above BK and MCdonalds but pretty much everything is..

migo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NoVaguy

yea that one actually just opened. I like Johnny Rockets...this coming from the guy from Jersey - where we have real diners and those are the BEST
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

I'm not sure if you actually have to be a student, but www.campusfood.com has a list of crap student places, but it's convenient online ordering if you're too lazy to do anything

Go Surface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ghulkhan

None taken.

I actually like checkers burgers above all else. I only really ate at J. Rockets because they took Gworld.

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GoSurface
None taken.

I actually like checkers burgers above all else. I only really ate at J. Rockets because they took Gworld.

Yea I like checkers a lot too. I think they make the best around DC. In N Out in cali is my favorite and shake shack in nyc...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads