1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Eating in DC

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by DNW, Jun 1, 2007.

1. GoSurface

GoSurface Senior member

Oh yes, and Lauriol Plaza rocks. Last time I was there, a drunk 50 year old woman slammed head first into a glass door. It was righteous.

Alero is good too, and if you ever get into Rockville, try Sushi house. Great, cheap food. Oh, and I had Sushi at Saki in adams morgan the other week. Very nice.

2. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

I enjoy "La Tiere Bouchon" in Fairfax. French, quiet, small, nice ambience, good service, great food.

Best,
    Huntsman

3. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Senior member

Johnny Rockets: Great burgers.

yeah, i just noticed there's one on the foggy bottom/GW campus area. around pennsylvania and 18th, i think? i think in the mini-mall that has the au bon pain and burro.

i usually go to the one at pentagon city as a quick stopover - i.e., whenever i'm riding through.

is the one on M street still there?

4. GoSurface

GoSurface Senior member

yeah, i just noticed there's one on the foggy bottom/GW campus area. around pennsylvania and 18th, i think? i think in the mini-mall that has the au bon pain and burro.

i usually go to the one at pentagon city as a quick stopover - i.e., whenever i'm riding through.

Yes, it's still there. There's also one around Dupont Circle. Right next to Alero, I think.

5. ghulkhan

ghulkhan Senior member

No offense to GoSurface...but I think Johnny Rockets absolutely sucks. Their burgers are worse then Fat Burger and I dont htink Fat Burger is all that great....

6. DNW

DNW Senior member

No offense to GoSurface...but I think Johnny Rockets absolutely sucks. Their burgers are worse then Fat Burger and I dont htink Fat Burger is all that great....

Their burgers are okay, certainly above the Burger King and McDonald's varieties.

On a different note, my gf and I went to the Maine Ave Fish Market today. What a lively place! We ate some seafood there, and got a dozen steamed crabs as well as some red snapper fillets for later. We'll certainly be back.

7. ghulkhan

ghulkhan Senior member

Yea they are above BK and MCdonalds but pretty much everything is..

8. migo

migo Senior member

yea that one actually just opened. I like Johnny Rockets...this coming from the guy from Jersey - where we have real diners and those are the BEST [​IMG]

I'm not sure if you actually have to be a student, but www.campusfood.com has a list of crap student places, but it's convenient online ordering if you're too lazy to do anything

9. GoSurface

GoSurface Senior member

None taken.

I actually like checkers burgers above all else. I only really ate at J. Rockets because they took Gworld.

10. ghulkhan

ghulkhan Senior member

None taken.

I actually like checkers burgers above all else. I only really ate at J. Rockets because they took Gworld.

Yea I like checkers a lot too. I think they make the best around DC. In N Out in cali is my favorite and shake shack in nyc...

11. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Senior member

they're not great, but i like them because they offer an egg as a topping on the regular menu.

12. Ivan Kipling

Ivan Kipling Senior member

Not sure it's still there, but the Occidental Grill had fine seafood. Cozy, clubby decor, too.

13. wpeters

wpeters Senior member

Sure you may have been to Kinkeads and you might of not liked it but I assure you most people who have went there think its one of the best resteraunts in D.C.

Kinkeads is a perfectly nice restaurant, and I've had meals there that range from fine to very good. It does a very strong expense account business. But I wouldn't call it one of the best restaurants in the city. If you think so, then I'm happy that you enjoy it. But it's the only expensive restaurant that you recommended to the OP. And if I had to pick one place as a splurge in DC, I would pick many places over Kinkeads - Citronelle, CityZen, 1789, Minibar, Oval Room, Asia Nora. Hell, even Charlie Palmer, Vidalia, Corduroy or Ardeo.

Old Ebbits is really good too_Old Ebbits is considered a landmark in DC so STFU

Old Ebbit is considered a tourist trap. The food is basically gussied up Cheesecake Factory. It's perfectly fine, and the happy hour is very upbeat and packed. But if the OP is going to schlep from Foggy Bottom across 17th St., I'd prefer several places above Old Ebbit, among them Zola and Ten Penh.

14. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

Old Ebbitt is ok. I went around lunch with some coworkers and wouldn't consider it worth a special trip(the main seating area is nice and we were in some country looking section).

I've been looking for a reason to check out Zola, I heard it aint that great.

15. migo

migo Senior member

I go to this place on 21st and M, I think, called Bread & Chocolate for breakfast sometimes...it's generally quite good, though not the cheapest.

16. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Add me to the list of those who had an excellent meal and great service at Kinkead's (as of two months ago). I would definitely recommend it

17. summej2

summej2 Senior member

El Rinconcito II near the Columbia Height metro has excellent Salvadoran at reasonable prices. I still havn't found El Rinconcito I.

18. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

Now, I need to find that shuttle from Foggy Bottom and Georgetown!
    The Circulator is your friend -- goes to Georgetown or Union Station. The 30-series metrobus will take you to Glover Park and up Wisconsin Avenue all the way to Friendship Heights.

There are a lot of good cheap eats in Adams Morgan. In addition to the ones already mentioned, Astor and Amsterdam Falafel are well worth a visit.

19. migo

migo Senior member

The shuttle that did go from FB to gtown, the blue bus, now runs from FB to one of the farragut metro stations. It's really not that far of a walk though, specially from where the OP is staying

20. GoSurface

GoSurface Senior member

The shuttle that did go from FB to gtown, the blue bus, now runs from FB to one of the farragut metro stations. It's really not that far of a walk though, specially from where the OP is staying

Sometimes I still cant believe people shuttle to Gtown from FB. I always walk.