• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tie Fashion

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I once read that one should purchase ties more regularly than any other article of clothing because they are the most subject to fashion. This may be an overstatement, but I have never read anything here about tie fashion beyond occasionally mentioning width. Obviously we are primarily concerned with style, but we are not beyond giving a nod to fashion (even if to ridicule it)? So please take this opportunity to mine the least refined parts of your brain for your knowledge of tie fashion.

What are current fashion trends for tie colour, pattern, fabric, width, etc.?

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In my ebay experience, paisleys sell worse than solids or stripes.

So I think they are out.

Does this mean you should stop wearing them? Of course not. You're an SF poster!

If you want to see what is fashionable, just look at the suit & tie spreads in one of the fashion monthlies like GQ. In general, the narrower lapels and shrunken sixties look in suits has brought with it a Ivy League-influenced minimalism in ties -- very modestly colorful, thin stripes on dark grounds.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Ties are something you should buy on an impluse. If you can put them on a nice display rack then you can buy ones you'd never even wear.

As long as you don't buy something as wide as your leg or thin as a pencil then you're doing fine.

Here is my Tie Appreciation that I just did for another forum.

Barneys New York, Louis Vuitton, Yves Saint Laurent, Thom Browne, Paul Smith, Paul Smith

ties.jpg

Etro, Hermes, Jil Sander, Stefano Ricci, Dolce & Gabbana

ties001.jpg

Canali, Dior Homme, Etro, Ralph Lauren Purple Label, Hermes, Brioni

ties002.jpg

Garrick Anderson, Thom Browne, Garrick Anderson, Hermes, Louis Vuitton, Ralph Lauren Black Label

ties003.jpg

Tim Hamilton, Band of Outsiders, Christian Lacroix, Louis Vuitton, Giorgio Armani, Etro

ties004.jpg

Etro, Barker Black, Canali, Bottega Veneta, Louis Vuitton, Louis Vuitton

ties005.jpg

Burberry London, Jil Sander, Barneys New York, Jil Sander, Thom Browne, Marc Jacobs Collection, Thom Browne

ties006.jpg

Lanvin

floppy.jpg

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I must say, I find some of the patterns slightly disturbing...
And Christian Lacroix writing his name all over the front surface of the tie...
In any case, a problem with photos is that even a slight alteration of the colour can make an otherwise very nice tie look dull. And the texture is difficult to "feel" when viewing photos.
Is the pink/white/blue one from Jil Sanders "extremely thin", or is it just the photo?
By the way, when I am looking for ties, I am always surprised by the very few ones I see that really appeal to me. A few weeks ago I spent a lot of hours on an airport, and I looked through hundreds of ties, and I did not find a single one that I would even consider buying.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Yes the Jil Sander tie is very thin.

The Lacroix tie was a gift from a friend who said only I could "tame the beast." Jil Sander suit, Etro shirt.
lacroix003.jpg

lacroix001.jpg

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
Ties are something you should buy on an impluse. If you can put them on a nice display rack then you can buy ones you'd never even wear. As long as you don't buy something as wide as your leg or thin as a pencil then you're doing fine.
That is such a fun and inspirational collection! Thank you so much for posting it.
worship.gif
I gotta go work on my display rack.
wink.gif

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Basically, anything that was briefly "in" (and not really classic/inoffensive, i.e. stripes, textured solids, small patterns like dots, etc.) in the early 90s is "out" now.

Look through all the Robert Talbott Studio ties (the 4" wide ones) at a thrift shop, and you'll see what I mean. Though now that I look on ebay, maybe I should be flipping those, because it seems that anything with the talbott name on it sells...

blnee

Reaction score
I have to say that the Lacroix tie is awesome. Certainly is ostentatious if not done correctly. You pulled it off with that combination though. Managed to look fun without being conceited. Excellent!!

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blnee
I have to say that the Lacroix tie is awesome. Certainly is ostentatious if not done correctly. You pulled it off with that combination though. Managed to look fun without being conceited. Excellent!!

Ostentatious also if done correctly, but what's wrong about that? I like it.
Yes, I really like the shirt/tie combination!

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC

The Lacroix tie was a gift from a friend who said only I could "tame the beast."

Some beasts require slaying rather than taming.
wink.gif

lacroix003.jpg

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pre-tied?
wow.gif

floppy.jpg

I keed, I keed. You have several very nice ties there.

Tumbleweed

Reaction score
I subscribe the school of impulse-buying when it comes to ties as well.

ties_1.jpg

(top to bottom) Kenzo, Versace.

ties_2.jpg

Kenzo

ties_3.jpg

Abelard

ties_4.jpg

Borrelli

ties_5.jpg

Carlo Franco, Brioni

ties_6.jpg

Borrelli

ties_7.jpg

Canali, Four-In-Hand

ties_8.jpg

Borrelli

ties_9.jpg

Dormeuil, Borrelli, Borrelli.

ties_10.jpg

And, oddly enough, both Borrelli.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Love the Kenzo tie and the Borelli one that is your avatar image.

Tumbleweed

Reaction score
The avatar image is a Brioni, to be precise. Got it from Lance at VCH.

The weave is amazing, especially when it moves in the light.

Closeup

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member