• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tried 5EP, just didn't seem worth the money (retail)

prozach1576

Reaction score
I'm not convinced that I'd like any of the existing 5EP cuts, but I'm inclined to believe the hype about the quality of the denim and construction and am anticipating the 5EPxSF cut to be far closer to what I want.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
and just for reference, the LDB rigid...

23yw4.jpg

nastyandy

Reaction score
I have the LDB in dark worn and also the straight-down in resin. Personally, although I am not all that fond of the high rise, and the anti-fit seat makes ****** look flat, the denim is exceptional, the jeans are well made, and I find the color and texture to be superior to most other jeans. All enough that I am more than satisfied with both of my 5EP pairs.

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just to reiterate, I agree you can't really blame 5EP for a "poor fit". And check out dmaz's LDB Resins in the PPOYD thread - they are bee-yoo-tee-full. The color is richer and more unique than anything I've seen here or on the Future in a while (that reads funny...).

Empire

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bona Drag
Just to reiterate, I agree you can't really blame 5EP for a "poor fit". And check out dmaz's LDB Resins in the PPOYD thread - they are bee-yoo-tee-full. The color is richer and more unique than anything I've seen here or on the Future in a while (that reads funny...).

Link please

Brian SD

Reaction score
Myh LDBs fit me very well. I paid full retail for them several years ago and have not regret it at all. They're one of the few articles of clothing I feel completely justified paying full retail for.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
Myh LDBs fit me very well. I paid full retail for them several years ago and have not regret it at all. They're one of the few articles of clothing I feel completely justified paying full retail for.

I dunno. DGP got a point; considering that you can get ES for ~$70 on eBay, or even slightly less than $50 a few days ago during eLux sales, shelling out $250+ for 5EP doesn't seem all that attractive. Again, different fits, but the gap in denim quality & construction can't be worth that much.

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You could also get a pair of STF which will probably last just as long as that pair of ES and also costs a fraction of the price.

I don't think anyone here can or will attempt to rationalize the value in a pair of $300 jeans. We all know its ridiculous :p The difference in quality and construction is worth it to most here, evidently.

nastyandy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
I dunno. DGP got a point; considering that you can get ES for ~$70 on eBay, or even slightly less than $50 a few days ago during eLux sales, shelling out $250+ for 5EP doesn't seem all that attractive. Again, different fits, but the gap in denim quality & construction can't be worth that much.
ES makes a good jean, but I have to disagree with you. Concerning longenvity and durability, 5EP is built to last, and will easily outlive ES denim, but I also disagree from a from a purist's standpoint. A couple of years ago I probably might have agreed with you, and fit was the most important thing to me, but once I really became interested in learning to distinguish denim quality, and once I had a better understanding of the denim process, I realized how much better and more enjoyable true artisan quality denim can be. IMO, the denim that 5EP uses is better than just about any sub-$250 pair of jeans on the market, except for maybe the first few generations of RRL, which were about on par.

Brian SD

Reaction score
I personally find the gap in quality between Levi's STF jeans and ES jeans to be huge and the gap between ES jeans and 5EP to be equally large. When I think of 5EP jeans, I think of a combination between craftsmanship, longevity, uniqueness, hardware quality and overall aesthetic quality that is unmatched at anything less than $300 (and many, many instances of greater priced jeans as well).

mongo615

Reaction score
I can't pretend to be a know-it-all; I'm relatively new to this game(bought my first 'boutique-type'denim in november-APC NS), but I have owned ES/Nudie jeans before my foray into SF type denim began. I like ES/Nudie but they can't compare to 5EP, cost included. While I refuse to pay retail for anything, most ES/Nudie at retail go in the $150-200 range whereas the 5EP retail at $250--at full cost, i would buy the 5EP, hands down, and I would buy 5EP over ES/Nudie on sale--it's just a better product,IMO. As for the eBaycomparison, that's like buying a loaded G35 at an auction as compared to buying a lightly optioned 3 series off of the lot--you can get more bang for the buck, but when it comes to resale, maintenence,et.al., you get what you pay for!!!
smile.gif

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
There's something to be said about jeans that will fit such a large variety of body types, just look at this thread; I think everyone looks good in those. Brian also posted some pretty cool photos a few months ago. I'm pretty sure nobody would mistake Drizzt, Zjpj and Brian for brothers, their body shape is quite different from one another.

cookieoflife

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Empire
Link please

I feel bad not making him use the search function, but I was curious too.
http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...postcount=1746

My first pair of ES blew out in 3 months. I'm fairly sure that these 5EP's will last... significantly longer than that. In terms of blending denim color and quality, these seem unmatched. I'm sure a pair of Iron Heart's will last longer, but you have to see the color of 5EP's in person. It's fairly awesome the first time you see them inside then take a step into the sun. I'm sure people who own them know what I'm talking about.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Yea. I remember stepping out into the sunset and seeing the way the color of the 5EPs have faded and thinking to myself, "Ahh so this is what truly amazing jeans look like."

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads