Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Tried 5EP, just didn't seem worth the money (retail)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by DGP, Apr 8, 2007.

1. prozach1576

prozach1576 Senior member

I'm not convinced that I'd like any of the existing 5EP cuts, but I'm inclined to believe the hype about the quality of the denim and construction and am anticipating the 5EPxSF cut to be far closer to what I want.

2. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

and just for reference, the LDB rigid...

[​IMG]

3. nastyandy

nastyandy Senior member

I have the LDB in dark worn and also the straight-down in resin. Personally, although I am not all that fond of the high rise, and the anti-fit seat makes my ass look flat, the denim is exceptional, the jeans are well made, and I find the color and texture to be superior to most other jeans. All enough that I am more than satisfied with both of my 5EP pairs.

4. Bona Drag

Bona Drag Senior member

Just to reiterate, I agree you can't really blame 5EP for a "poor fit". And check out dmaz's LDB Resins in the PPOYD thread - they are bee-yoo-tee-full. The color is richer and more unique than anything I've seen here or on the Future in a while (that reads funny...).

5. Empire

Empire Senior member

Just to reiterate, I agree you can't really blame 5EP for a "poor fit". And check out dmaz's LDB Resins in the PPOYD thread - they are bee-yoo-tee-full. The color is richer and more unique than anything I've seen here or on the Future in a while (that reads funny...).

Link please

6. Renault78law

Renault78law Senior member

Love the looser fit and higher rise.

Me too. Very comfortable jeans, and I don't have to worry about showing crack when I'm sitting down.

7. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

Myh LDBs fit me very well. I paid full retail for them several years ago and have not regret it at all. They're one of the few articles of clothing I feel completely justified paying full retail for.

8. whacked

whacked Senior member

Myh LDBs fit me very well. I paid full retail for them several years ago and have not regret it at all. They're one of the few articles of clothing I feel completely justified paying full retail for.

I dunno. DGP got a point; considering that you can get ES for ~$70 on eBay, or even slightly less than $50 a few days ago during eLux sales, shelling out $250+ for 5EP doesn't seem all that attractive. Again, different fits, but the gap in denim quality & construction can't be worth that much.

9. PG2G

PG2G Senior member

You could also get a pair of STF which will probably last just as long as that pair of ES and also costs a fraction of the price.

I don't think anyone here can or will attempt to rationalize the value in a pair of $300 jeans. We all know its ridiculous :p The difference in quality and construction is worth it to most here, evidently.

10. nastyandy

nastyandy Senior member

I dunno. DGP got a point; considering that you can get ES for ~$70 on eBay, or even slightly less than $50 a few days ago during eLux sales, shelling out $250+ for 5EP doesn't seem all that attractive. Again, different fits, but the gap in denim quality & construction can't be worth that much.
    ES makes a good jean, but I have to disagree with you. Concerning longenvity and durability, 5EP is built to last, and will easily outlive ES denim, but I also disagree from a from a purist's standpoint. A couple of years ago I probably might have agreed with you, and fit was the most important thing to me, but once I really became interested in learning to distinguish denim quality, and once I had a better understanding of the denim process, I realized how much better and more enjoyable true artisan quality denim can be. IMO, the denim that 5EP uses is better than just about any sub-$250 pair of jeans on the market, except for maybe the first few generations of RRL, which were about on par.

11. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

I personally find the gap in quality between Levi's STF jeans and ES jeans to be huge and the gap between ES jeans and 5EP to be equally large. When I think of 5EP jeans, I think of a combination between craftsmanship, longevity, uniqueness, hardware quality and overall aesthetic quality that is unmatched at anything less than $300 (and many, many instances of greater priced jeans as well).

12. mongo615

mongo615 Senior member

I can't pretend to be a know-it-all; I'm relatively new to this game(bought my first 'boutique-type'denim in november-APC NS), but I have owned ES/Nudie jeans before my foray into SF type denim began. I like ES/Nudie but they can't compare to 5EP, cost included. While I refuse to pay retail for anything, most ES/Nudie at retail go in the $150-200 range whereas the 5EP retail at $250--at full cost, i would buy the 5EP, hands down, and I would buy 5EP over ES/Nudie on sale--it's just a better product,IMO. As for the eBaycomparison, that's like buying a loaded G35 at an auction as compared to buying a lightly optioned 3 series off of the lot--you can get more bang for the buck, but when it comes to resale, maintenence,et.al., you get what you pay for!!![​IMG]

13. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

There's something to be said about jeans that will fit such a large variety of body types, just look at this thread; I think everyone looks good in those. Brian also posted some pretty cool photos a few months ago. I'm pretty sure nobody would mistake Drizzt, Zjpj and Brian for brothers, their body shape is quite different from one another.

14. cookieoflife

cookieoflife Senior member

Link please

I feel bad not making him use the search function, but I was curious too.
    http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...postcount=1746

My first pair of ES blew out in 3 months. I'm fairly sure that these 5EP's will last... significantly longer than that. In terms of blending denim color and quality, these seem unmatched. I'm sure a pair of Iron Heart's will last longer, but you have to see the color of 5EP's in person. It's fairly awesome the first time you see them inside then take a step into the sun. I'm sure people who own them know what I'm talking about.

15. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

Yea. I remember stepping out into the sunset and seeing the way the color of the 5EPs have faded and thinking to myself, "Ahh so this is what truly amazing jeans look like."