• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Newbie seekings opinions on nice sneakers (C.Haan, Ferragamo, etc)

javadesigner

Reaction score
Hi:

I'm new to this forum. Wear straight cut blue jeans (winter) or white linen pants (summer), with army green, dark blue or brown henleys.

Don't know much about dress shoes. So far, I've always worn regular Asics or New Balance sneakers (grey, blue). Am now trying to up my shoe style and would appreciate any advice about nicer looking sneakers (not dress shoes).

Either Ferragamo, Cole Haan or Santoni. I tried the Zegna Triple Stitch blue woolen ones at their boutique and they looked quite nice..but they are slip-ons and just didn't feel as snug and comfortable as regular lace ups.

For a one time purchase, price doesn't make a huge difference but of course, if I'm spending $800 on a Ferragamo sneaker, I'm hoping for a bit more style points/value than the Cole Haans.

My choices so far are below. Any opinions/suggestions are highly appreciated.

-J

1)
Ferragamo Gancini Sneaker
ferra-1.jpg

2)
Ferragamo Sneaker
ferra-2.jpg

3)
Cole Haan GrandPro Tennis
cole-1.jpg

4)
Cole Haan Original Grand Wingtip
cole-2.jpg

5)
Santoni blue
santoni.jpg

Attachments

• santoni.jpg
    santoni.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 5
  • santoni.jpg
    santoni.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 355
Last edited:

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
first of all, welcome.

There has been a lot of contentious debate here about the general idea that one can 'elevate' (not your word, I know) an outfit just by wearing a more formal style of shoe. These discussions have been more about wearing a formal style of dress shoe to 'elevate' an outfit with jeans, chinos, etc. For some reason people apply this idea to shoes but would never (I hope) apply the same idea to other items of clothing. For example everyone would probably agree that wearing a tuxedo jacket with jeans does not make the whole outfit smarter. It'd just be incoherent.

Similarly, the question here is whether one can or should 'dress up' a pair of sneakers to elevate an outfit. I think you'll get a wide variety of opinions (see the other thread about "smart sneakers" on this page) but I don't like the idea of 'dressy sneakers'. Making sneakers out of full grain leather does not make them more formal. Instead you end up with a Frankenstein. My advice is, if you want your outfit to look nicer, upgrade to a different style of shoe or boot, not 'fancy sneakers'. It's not just "sneakers" versus "dress shoes".

And I have nothing against sneakers. I have several pairs. I just don't get these sneaker-dress shoe hybrids.

TheIronDandy

Reaction score
If you want to wear nicer sneakers, the plain white leather ones are probably the best (common projects seem to be the baseline).
Hi:

I'm new to this forum. Wear straight cut blue jeans (winter) or white linen pants (summer), with army green, dark blue or brown henleys.

Don't know much about dress shoes. So far, I've always worn regular Asics or New Balance sneakers (grey, blue). Am now trying to up my shoe style and would appreciate any advice about nicer looking sneakers (not dress shoes).

Either Ferragamo, Cole Haan or Santoni. I tried the Zegna Triple Stitch blue woolen ones at their boutique and they looked quite nice..but they are slip-ons and just didn't feel as snug and comfortable as regular lace ups.

For a one time purchase, price doesn't make a huge difference but of course, if I'm spending $800 on a Ferragamo sneaker, I'm hoping for a bit more style points/value than the Cole Haans.

-J

1)
View attachment 1846847

2)
Ferragamo Sneaker
View attachment 1846848

3)
View attachment 1846849

4)
View attachment 1846850

5)
Santoni blue
View attachment 1846852

First, welcome onboard!

Second, I think you will get a wider variety of opinions if you ask about this in the Streetwear and Denim section of the forum. While the Style Advice section technically covers both classic style and more contemporary, fashion-driven styles, I think most regular posters here are from the classic menswear style.

My personal opinion (coming more from the classic style side of things) is that if you do want a more classic look with leather sneakers, I think the minimalist white ones (I believe Common Projects is the baseline these days) work much better than the colorful high fashion ones. You can definitely go all-in on high fashion brands to make people gawk at your feet if that's what you want, but judging from how you describe your style and the models you've listed, you're looking more for a "nicer" sneaker rather than a "flashier" one? If so, the contrast between the leather uppers, the lining and the chunky sole of the models you've listed probably makes them less than ideal candidates.

Out of curiosity, does Java refer to the language, the script, the island or the beverage? :)

javadesigner

Reaction score
If you want to wear nicer sneakers, the plain white leather ones are probably the best (common projects seem to be the baseline).

Out of curiosity, does Java refer to the language, the script, the island or the beverage? :)

Thansk very much for your comment :)

So, Java refers to both the language and the coffee - both of which I've been consuming in copius amounts for about 2 decades now.

bicycleradical

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum!

In my opinion, it would look better to wear some derbies, loafers, or Chelsea boots with your choice of clothing. It will be more coherent than wearing sneakers that are trying to not look like sneakers.

Plus, you can find good quality shoes like I've described for far less than $800! They'll also last longer and if you get the right pair, you can have them resoled when needed.

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm in the middle. I think the sneakers can look good with the jeans but not the linen pants. Having said that, I don't see a lot of 'style points' for $800 sneakers. You also mention programming java for decades. So, you're not 26 - another reason to avoid sneakers. Once you get to your 30s, sneakers should basically be for functional use, not style. If you're over 30, it's time to dress like an adult male if you want 'style points'.

rjc149

Reaction score
Bienvenidos, OP.

Most of the posters in this part of the forum don't abide by #menswear fads, so they'll (I'll) opine accordingly.

Dress sneakers, like hybrid oxford/sneakers, are fads seeking to capitalize on the popularity of minimalist court sneakers like Stan Smiths or Converse (which are usually all-white). They feature luxury Italian leather etc. etc. and a sexy brand name to command their utterly hysterical $500+ price tags. What you're getting at the end of the day is a sneaker. It's not more fashionable, more durable or more comfortable. It's just a sneaker that you paid $500+ to own. When the soles wear out, and the fad dies, you throw them in the garbage like any other worn-out sneaker.

Aside from my opinion that these dark leather dress sneakers are aesthetically challenged and a dumb fad milking itself for all its worth, my opinion is that wearing New Balance, Asics, Adidas, Converse, Skechers etc. is perfectly okay. For a man in his 30's, sneakers are for exercising and for ultra-casual, dressed-down attire. Any sneakers that are comfortable are fine.

I would encourage you to ask yourself what role and function a pair of $800 Ferragamo dress sneakers will serve that a pair of high-quality Goodyear welt dress shoes or loafers, that can last you a lifetime with care, cannot serve. They're sneakers. You don't wear sneakers with tailoring or with dress-casual outfits (traditionally). You wear sneakers with shorts, jeans, or to the gym. What do $800 Ferragamo sneakers do that $80 New Balance sneakers can't do? Or that handsome, high-quality brown derbies or loafers can't do?

If it's merely an aesthetic preference or a desire for brand-name cache, that's a valid personal opinion and it's your hard-earned money. My personal opinion is to up your shoe game with some high-quality brown derbies or loafers that you can wear with jeans, chinos, or with tailored clothing. This will add some elegance and sophistication to your outfits. Sneakers can only remove this. Doesn't matter how expensive they were.

Ecstasy

Reaction score
Hi:

-J

1)
View attachment 1846847

2)
Ferragamo Sneaker
View attachment 1846848

3)
View attachment 1846849

4)
View attachment 1846850

5)
Santoni blue
View attachment 1846852

I saw number 2 recently, and it looked spectacular on display. Was thoroughly disappointed when I tried it on though. The insole just made me think of cheap and flat converse insoles. And the top view to my eyes was... fat and shapeless.

mandrbeck

Reaction score
If you’re gonna wear sneakers with a suit, skip the designer stuff. Jordan’s, Dunk’s, etc are the way to go.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads