• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's the appeal of the wings/horns x dayton service boots

notwithit

Pullup laureate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RFX45
Walked around the whole day in mine this past weekend, the boots are pretty comfortable and didn't need much breaking in. The topy was well worth the extra $15. However, I am not sure if I am alone in this but I'm not liking the leather laces that came with the boots, reminds me of the boat shoes laces which I also do not like, so I had to put a pair of extra black laces from my black Indys instead.
+1. I just find them irritating to tighten and loosen because they don't slide very well. I hadn't even thought about the boat shoe comparison until you mentioned it. I asked them to include fabric laces, and they said they would in an email exchange, but I didn't receive any with my boots. I'm gonna wait until all the boots have gone out, then start harassing them to send me the laces. I'm also open to recommendations for other fabric laces to use if anyone has a suggestion. edit: Looks like I put in somewhere just shy of four miles yesterday.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I really wish some flat waxed laces like those Lanvin has in their sneakers are readily available for purchase somewhere, I think that will work well with these boots.

irbe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Called again. According to them my boots are done but they need approval from the owner to ship. WTF???

notwithit

Pullup laureate
Reaction score
^ Any leads on where to find some? All I can find online are those ugly braided laces that look like they're made for hiking boots.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No luck but I'm pretty happy with the Indy laces I'm using, I just wish it was a little bit thicker but not bad at all. I might try the round laces from my PS Ricards, it might work well too.

How does the regular fabric laces from Dayton looks?

notwithit

Pullup laureate
Reaction score
I wish I knew. I'll let you know if they end up sending them to me.

Islander

Reaction score
Chill onijo84, you're having boots hand made to order by a small family-owned company. I don't have mine either yet, who cares, you will get them. Are you going barefoot in the meantime?

Originally Posted by irbe
Called again. According to them my boots are done but they need approval from the owner to ship. WTF???

Heard any complaints about quality control? No? Didn't think so.

/rant

dotcomzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Islander
Chill onijo84, you're having boots hand made to order by a small family-owned company. I don't have mine either yet, who cares, you will get them. Are you going barefoot in the meantime?

Heard any complaints about quality control? No? Didn't think so.

/rant

Well, their quality is ridiculous, but there is a definite want of, um, attention to detail. For instance, they took the liberty of stamping their own logo on the oil black leather upper of the pair I ordered. I did not ask for this. And has anyone noticed that the heels on the boots ordered through Dayton are shorter than the stacked heel on the Wing+Horns version? I like the boot without the distressed and water soaked effect, but to say it's the same boot and then give me a version with half the heel height as the original and some steer head branded on it?! I don't know whether to send them back or not.

Caveat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dotcomzzz
Well, their quality is ridiculous, but there is a definite want of, um, attention to detail. For instance, they took the liberty of stamping their own logo on the oil black leather upper of the pair I ordered. I did not ask for this. And has anyone noticed that the heels on the boots ordered through Dayton are shorter than the stacked heel on the Wing+Horns version? I like the boot without the distressed and water soaked effect, but to say it's the same boot and then give me a version with half the heel height as the original and some steer head branded on it?! I don't know whether to send them back or not.

Can you post a photo of the heel, preferably from the same angle as a W&H boot photo floating around so we can compare?

Magic1

Reaction score
^totally agree. I specified a stacked leather heel ala w&h version and received a rubber heel. I returned the boots because they did not fit and requested a stacked heel and again received a rubber heel. I was originally sized as an 8.5, told them it was an inch too big, at least, and they said I should get an 8. I called twice regarding sizing and both times I was instructed to order an 8.5 even though the measurements I provided were different by an inch.
There are some major holes in this companies performance. They are getting by because they do use great leathers and good construction. I will say that although that the two pairs of boots I received were constructed well, there was absolutely zero refinement or review or the boots before they left production. These boots are not john lobb, I know, they are work boots, but man they could have used a little care in the production process (and I did not receive the "distressed" versions).
In hindsight, I think my appropriate size is a 7, but I don't know if I can go through with a purchase again...spent $40 just on return shipping.

Crump's Brother

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RFX45
Walked around the whole day in mine this past weekend, the boots are pretty comfortable and didn't need much breaking in. The topy was well worth the extra $15.

However, I am not sure if I am alone in this but I'm not liking the leather laces that came with the boots, reminds me of the boat shoes laces which I also do not like, so I had to put a pair of extra black laces from my black Indys instead.

i don't care for the leather laces either so i asked if they could thrown a regular pair of laces in as well...curious to see what they are like when i get the boots

onijo84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by irbe
lol. What owner? Stephen? I think they will ship all at one go this friday.

ceoceo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by onijo84
I think they will ship all at one go this friday.

Fingers crossed
smile.gif

Froosh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does the reddish brown end up more like the W+H brown with wear and tear?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads