• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many meters did you row/erg today?

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Scrimmaged a local club crew on saturday. Took 2 of 3 pieces against them. On our best piece, we did 1000m in 2:48, taking a length of open. Midwest Championships are Sunday in Oak Ridge, Tenn. I'm so damn psyched.

AndyMcL

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wmmk
Scrimmaged a local club crew on saturday. Took 2 of 3 pieces against them. On our best piece, we did 1000m in 2:48, taking a length of open. Midwest Championships are Sunday in Oak Ridge, Tenn. I'm so damn psyched.

Good luck!

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My gym got brand new concept II's today!!!! So excited to pull on em! No so excited to watch the guy next to twist the damn chain with some of that stupid side pulling crap.

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Laid down one of our worst pieces of the year yesterday. We started sloppy, settled to too high a rate, and didn't respond well when the cox called for moves. We ended up coming in 3rd at Midwest, and two boats in the 2V8 qualify for SRAA nationals. So this is the end of my high school rowing career. I'm crushed.

AndyMcL

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wmmk
Laid down one of our worst pieces of the year yesterday. We started sloppy, settled to too high a rate, and didn't respond well when the cox called for moves. We ended up coming in 3rd at Midwest, and two boats in the 2V8 qualify for SRAA nationals. So this is the end of my high school rowing career. I'm crushed.

That's really tough dude, and I know there's not a lot anyone can say to make it feel better. It's so much worse to lose a race and know that you could've done better. The last race of my high school career we were in second the entire race, until the last 5 strokes when a school we'd beaten two weeks earlier walked through us. I still haven't really gotten over it, but it's definitely served as fuel. Next time you're in college doing a hard workout think about that race and how you felt afterward.

unclesam099

Reaction score
Is anyone at IRA this weekend? I've heard about a bit of debris out there on the course. Any other news? Predictions?

V8: UW, Harvard, Cal
2V: UW, Cal, Harvard
F8: Cal, Harvard, UW

Hmm, see a recurring trend here? I could also see Princeton edging Cal in the V8 for 3rd, but not very likely.

Princeton might be fast in the F8 as well, but not fast enough for the rest.

AndyMcL

Reaction score
Originally Posted by unclesam099
Is anyone at IRA this weekend? I've heard about a bit of debris out there on the course. Any other news? Predictions?

V8: UW, Harvard, Cal
2V: UW, Cal, Harvard
F8: Cal, Harvard, UW

Hmm, see a recurring trend here? I could also see Princeton edging Cal in the V8 for 3rd, but not very likely.

Princeton might be fast in the F8 as well, but not fast enough for the rest.

Watched online. Some exciting races! Looks like you were pretty accurate on those predictions. The Cal frosh were impressive. Just drove down the course. V8 final was awesome.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ Really proud of the 100% non scholarship, majority walk on squad at UCSD. Impressed to even have them qualify for IRA

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone remind me the proper or most efficient way to be pushing through your feet during the stroke?

Back in college I was pretty much all off my toes, engaging mostly my quads. I never really pushed through my heels to get my glutes really engaged. Now I'm trying to start with the ball of my foot and finish with my heel (It's hard for me to keep my heel down at the catch). Does this sound semi-normal?

Gattopardo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rjmaiorano
Can anyone remind me the proper or most efficient way to be pushing through your feet during the stroke?

Back in college I was pretty much all off my toes, engaging mostly my quads. I never really pushed through my heels to get my glutes really engaged. Now I'm trying to start with the ball of my foot and finish with my heel (It's hard for me to keep my heel down at the catch). Does this sound semi-normal?

Yeah, pretty much. I've seen very few rowers with the ankle flexibility to keep the heels down at the catch.

There's a bit of ambiguity in your phrase "finish with the heel". I've found my best results have come from getting the heels down relatively quickly (by half-slide if not sooner), but I think your drag factor and some other stylistic matters could possibly make a difference.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gattopardo
Yeah, pretty much. I've seen very few rowers with the ankle flexibility to keep the heels down at the catch. There's a bit of ambiguity in your phrase "finish with the heel". I've found my best results have come from getting the heels down relatively quickly (by half-slide if not sooner), but I think your drag factor and some other stylistic matters could possibly make a difference.
Its hard to explain the dropping of the heel, but of course I want it down as soon as possible (half slide or sooner as you said) because I can engage more muscles. Good to know I am not entirely messed up in my form. And my question is regarding erg form only, I'm not a member of a club so I am not on the water. Hopefully that will change soon. But my nearest water is 50 mins away
ffffuuuu.gif
. Just trying to remember how to vomit on the erg
smile.gif

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was actually taught to initiate the drive through the heel, holding connection through the toes at the finish. It can feel awkward for a while, but I do think it ends up being pretty efficient.

Anyway, today was my first day back on the water since that last race. Took out a rec single at 6AM on Lincoln Park lagoon; it was beautiful out there, and the Chicago skyline was a nice backdrop. The single felt a little unset at first (this was maybe my second time ever in a 1x), so I started out with arms and back only, and gained some confidence by the end of my row, going at about 3/4 or 7/8 slide. I'll take the same shell out tomorrow, and hopefully be in a racing shell by Wednesday.

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tuesday was a good day in the single. Got up to full slide, maybe 80% pressure, and slightly higher rates.

This morning, it was thundering and raining heavily, so I erged at the boatclub. Did 4x10' (splits around 1:55, rates around 18-20), then went to take a piss in the locker room and passed a big ole kidney stone. My blood circulation got kind of temporarily messed up, I got really faint and dizzy, and the pain in my abs was giving me a hard time breathing. I ended up in the ER, but it's all good now. Hoping there's better weather tomorrow AM so I can get back on the water.

johnkav

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chobochobo
A newbie question, do you guys wear gloves to protect from blisters, if so what's recommended please?

No gloves.... man up.... rowers and blisters go hand in hand...
smile.gif

johnkav

Reaction score
Have not posted here in a while, but glad to see that more people have turned this into a type of training log thread. Pretty cool. Have been quite busy myself with everything so my online activities get cut short to checking emails from my blackberry
smile.gif

Well, I have to say I love this time of the year. It's bright early in the morning and late into the evening... Makes the early mornings so much easier I think! I won't bore people with the ins and outs of our training. But as with most crews this time of the year, we have been on the water mostly. Winter is when the serious fitness work get's done, now it's just a matter of keeping everything ticking over and focussing on the OTW sessions.

Seat racing, 2k erg tests, and various other performance measures to aid crew selection are all behind us now and we have started to become comfortable as a crew again. There hasen't been any drastic changes, but a switch between 4 and 2 seat has been working out well. So that's the VIII... Have been rowing in a 4+ too. Out yesterday for a technical paddle. Wasn't expecting much considering an hour and a half earlier we had just collapsed on the slip after a tough work session in the eight. The 4+ was running extremely well between strokes, solid off the finish... Maybe we were just so tired after the work session that everyone was naturally relaxed
smile.gif
The combination of this four is working well. We have our stoke, seven, four and bow from the eight.

All in all I think this is a great time of the year. The fitness is strong from a hard winter of training, the crews are set and water sessions are all about getting boats moving nicely. To the newcomers on this thread, I urge you to stick with it. I owe this sport so much and I think all rowers will agree to that. Sure, there are gonna be times when you don't make a crew selection, or pull a **** 2k time, or feel like jumping out of the boat because it's not sitting level..... but stick with it and you'll see that good outweigh the bad 100 times over! Those 5am starts, blistered hands and hours spent training are all forgotten about when your in a boat and it's running well. Even more so if it's running well as your bow ball passes the finish line ahead of everyone else!
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads