• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Anyway that discussion is kind of boring, so an actual random fashion thought: when I embarked on my winter wardrobe project (which was to take the militaristic aspect and re-direct it somewhere darker) I made a conscious decision NOT to make it end up being black on black on charcoal on black. And yet it seems to be drifting that way anyhow. It seems like the stuff I find that I like always ends up being monochrome, possibly as a result of that just being largely what's out there. TGFDrkshdw, at least.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
well the military isn't really a source of rainbows and lollipops
wink.gif

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
don't ask don't tell?

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shahanshah
well the military isn't really a source of rainbows and lollipops
wink.gif

It's a hell of a lot more browns, earth tones etc. Which opens up a lot more in terms of blues, reds, that kind of thing. It isn't all black, or even black first and foremost.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
but I know deep inside there is a happiness waiting to express itself. I could never monotonize wardrobe or even limit to certain palette. i need all the colors of the world and beyond

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I want to do this on a small scale and just get T-Shirts, Jeans, and Vans in every color, but then i'd look like LMFAO

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
LV gets slammed a lot on Styleforum, but the materials and manufacture of most of their stuff is impeccable.

Not really, I had a pair of their sneakers back in 2000 (sup rfx) that fell apart after 30 wears. That stupid emblem on those boots is absurd as well which is akin to the plaques affixed to womens handbags that disgust me. Not to mention 80% of the stuff is plastered with logos to indicate status.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm hoping that those Junya fair isle jackets are going to be too short for me so that I don't have to buy one.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
same here

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
Not really, I had a pair of their sneakers back in 2000 (sup rfx) that fell apart after 30 wears. That stupid emblem on those boots is absurd as well which is akin to the plaques affixed to womens handbags that disgust me. Not to mention 80% of the stuff is plastered with logos to indicate status.

I'm not going to defend the branding, which is really a matter of personal preference (and I do not prefer it,) nor defend their money grab items (t-shirts, sneakers, etc...) for which the markups are ridiculous.

However, the classic luggage and their collections are tremendous. There are very few factories who can do the manufacture they demand. I'd say that Hermes is pretty much the ultra ne plus for materials and manufacture though, in terms of materials and manufacture.

I'm bringing this up mainly as a counter to all the people who say that brands like MA+, etc... are so amazing. Yes, they are very experimental, and they have a very strong sense of identity. But they don't come close to the sheer technical wizardry of some of the traditional luxiry brands.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AR_Six
Anyway that discussion is kind of boring, so an actual random fashion thought: when I embarked on my winter wardrobe project (which was to take the militaristic aspect and re-direct it somewhere darker) I made a conscious decision NOT to make it end up being black on black on charcoal on black. And yet it seems to be drifting that way anyhow. It seems like the stuff I find that I like always ends up being monochrome, possibly as a result of that just being largely what's out there. TGFDrkshdw, at least.
You can mix in browns, teals (petrol blue is good) and olives with gray and washed black. There are any number of non-primary colors that go well with charcoals and black. I am finding myself wearing more and more blues and browns along with black and (more often,) charcoal.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
I'm not going to defend the branding, which is really a matter of personal preference (and I do not prefer it,) nor defend their money grab items (t-shirts, sneakers, etc...) for which the markups are ridiculous.

However, the classic luggage and their collections are tremendous. There are very few factories who can do the manufacture they demand. I'd say that Hermes is pretty much the ultra ne plus for materials and manufacture though, in terms of materials and manufacture.

I'm bringing this up mainly as a counter to all the people who say that brands like MA+, etc... are so amazing. Yes, they are very experimental, and they have a very strong sense of identity. But they don't come close to the sheer technical wizardry of some of the traditional luxiry brands.

I do enjoy their vintage luggage and their more historical offerings. With that being said ,however, I'd much rather look at z halliburton, globetrotter and valextra instead which is my really my steez.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
I do enjoy their vintage luggage and their more historical offerings. With that being said ,however, I'd much rather look at z halliburton, globetrotter and valextra instead which is my really my steez.

Valextra is a favorite of mine, terrible name notwithstanding. But the LV collections are pretty solid. iirc, FW11 design was headed by Marc Jacobs in collaboration with one of the guys who does Lanvin (I think - but don't quote me on that one.) It looked wearable but not boring, which is a fine line to tread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads