Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KitAkira

KitAkira Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!

2. toothsomesound

toothsomesound Senior member

Kelvin and I found chrono at Uniqlo today haha poor guy cant go into hat store without encountering internet people. He was very cool of course.

3. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

I've been working up the courage to try my hand at the chrono-roll ok, serious topic. Why is it that so many guys who are at least passable with their getups just totally lose it with the footwear? I see so many decent business, biz casual, and SW&D looks that are fine until I get to the feet and then it all falls apart. is it pricing? availability of good stuff? a matter of taste? in my experience girls definitely do notice your shoes, it's not just a stereotype

4. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

arw/kelv/chrono we should get drinks after work one day

5. jwied82

jwied82 Senior member

ok, serious topic. Why is it that so many guys who are at least passable with their getups just totally lose it with the footwear? I see so many decent business, biz casual, and SW&D looks that are fine until I get to the feet and then it all falls apart.

is it pricing? availability of good stuff? a matter of taste?

in my experience girls definitely do notice your shoes, it's not just a stereotype

ive thought about that myself. I think its a combination of availability and price (mainly availability though)

6. bows1

bows1 Senior member

the LV Zenith Ankle boot in Moka is beautiful in person. Shot a style blogger for a commercial and he was rockin them. Was surprised to see how nice they were. [​IMG]

7. bows1

bows1 Senior member

I've been working up the courage to try my hand at the chrono-roll

ok, serious topic. Why is it that so many guys who are at least passable with their getups just totally lose it with the footwear? I see so many decent business, biz casual, and SW&D looks that are fine until I get to the feet and then it all falls apart.

is it pricing? availability of good stuff? a matter of taste?

in my experience girls definitely do notice your shoes, it's not just a stereotype

Talking about the super wide flat bicycle toe black kenneth coles that 99% of people in suits wear?

8. wEstSidE

wEstSidE Senior member

bitches smell money but that's all. the nose isn't fine tuned for taste.

9. Master-Classter

Talking about the super wide flat bicycle toe black kenneth coles that 99% of people in suits wear?
    well yeah, that - decent fitted suits, non-gaudy ties and shirts, but then obnoxious long flat square shoes. Even streetwear looks where it's a polo and khakies, which is a 'ok I'm making an effort' look but then like terrible running shoes or sketchers or some shit.
    bitches smell money but that's all. the nose isn't fine tuned for taste.
    maybe Hermes Man is onto something (LV monogram black shoes) to try answer my own question, I think the problem is not that there's a lack of ok shoes but rather that there's just too much noise with BAD shoes so it's too hard for the half-educated dude to sort through it all and find something acceptable. There's just so much shit in the store that's poorly selected, overpriced, etc that he's bound to walk out with some crap.

10. Master-Classter

leading me to another discussion topic. the importance of buyers. Now I know local stores like Holt Renfrew and Harry Rosens here are overpriced, but it's my opinion that the simple fact taht they have buyers in place who put in some effort to curate the offerings means that even an idiot with some money will walk out of the store with something that's decent, whereas you have to be very selective and educated to walk out of a Sears/Bay/mallbrand store with anything that's good. Your odds are just lower because there's more crap to sort through. MY point is, the onus should lie with the store to select good merchandise to make the customer's (mental) job easier. Instead the stores too often get lazy and don't hire good buyers so their customers just look like shit because there's nothing good to choose from. There's this shoe store here called Little Burgundy and I love them. It's so obvious that they've selected shoes from each line carefully, priced them well, their staff know what they're doing, etc. It's a pleasure to shop there. When I walk in, I can just see that work has gone into picking the right shoes to build a collection. /rant

11. brad-t

brad-t Bae Blade

12. wEstSidE

wEstSidE Senior member

maybe Hermes Man is onto something
    hermes man (the styleforum poster and the blogger) both got some insight. i remember one post or blog post by hermes man where he talks about wanting to get to the mall as early as possible to buy something expensive so that he could walk around with the bag. fuck it let me go all out here. how could a busy (important) man have that luxury? just walking around the fucking mall all day. but his point is that these dumbass individuals don't know or don't care. spoiled brat is just as well. it's the same H on the joint.

13. KitAkira

KitAkira Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!

the LV Zenith Ankle boot in Moka is beautiful in person. Shot a style blogger for a commercial and he was rockin them. Was surprised to see how nice they were.
    Nice, is the back pattern as subtle as it is in that picture?
    to try answer my own question, I think the problem is not that there's a lack of ok shoes but rather that there's just too much noise with BAD shoes so it's too hard for the half-educated dude to sort through it all and find something acceptable. There's just so much shit in the store that's poorly selected, overpriced, etc that he's bound to walk out with some crap.
    I've seen many ladies steering their men towards bike/square toes because they look "trendy" and "formal" (0)

14. APK

APK Senior member

I've seen many ladies steering their men towards bike/square toes because they look "trendy" and "formal" (0)

This is the exact reason why my first pair of formal shoes six years ago were some square-toed Kenneth Cole joints.

15. AR_Six

AR_Six "Sookie!"

Now I know local stores like Holt Renfrew and Harry Rosens here are overpriced, but it's my opinion that the simple fact taht they have buyers in place who put in some effort to curate the offerings
    Really? No, not really. Harry's doesn't "curate" anything at all. It's pretty indiscriminate. Holts, I'm sure, does for some of the lines, but a lot of it is such garbage that there's nothing really to be done and I doubt anyone really bothers. Even their buys of things like McQueen (basically anything with a skull on it for brand id purposes), Prorsum (LET'S BUY NOTHING BUT TRENCHES) don't make much sense. The Jil buy here this winter was ok but it was tiny so they really had to pick and choose, and basically found the most understated stuff possible. Henry Singer here does a better job with Lanvin, and are willing to take a swing at some stuff - it's all going on sale on Thursday, I'm a have to stop in.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.