Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brad-t

brad-t Bae Blade

Well, I have a particular taste in shoes that probably doesn't match yours ... haha.

2. theom-

theom- Senior member

3. AR_Six

AR_Six "Sookie!"

Keep in mind the size of their store and both volume and diversity of their customer base. Within that context, they've done some selecting. Of course it really works better with a smaller store that goes for a specific look. It becomes a something for everyone means nothing for anyone.
    Harry's buys look basically like I walked into the Bay except higher-end. They do much the same thing season to season - i.e. we'll get the same kind of conservative cut suits from Canali, Samuelsohn et al, add a big section of Zegna and Hugo Boss which look the same as every other season (and also much like a smaller version of the branded Boss and Zegna stores usually located in the same mall), and then a "streetwear" section comprised of the highest-volume-sold shit from Lacoste and 7FAM along with Boss's "streetwear" label. It's all very formulaic and honestly very lazy. That may be the model, and it may be catering to a clientele that would be scared if they departed from said formula, but that doesn't make it any better curated than any other mall store.

Holts does a much better job but as I say I see the majority of the streetwear stuff as filler. They carry wings + horns intermittently and rag&bone, but aside from that all they have that I'd be remotely interested in are the nudies and N&F denim. There are a couple of racks of good stuff in what they'd consider their "runway" departments, but even there, it's usually edited with a big focus on the conservative - trenches, button ups, blazers, etc, and some accessories usually easily brand-identifiable (the McQueen stuff is the most obvious, they have a whole bunch of ties with the skull on them in the Van store, much like they have the omnipresent silk scarves for women). So a lot of the initial excitement upon browsing a new season dissipates quickly as you realize the appearance of "hey, some cool new shit" is largely illusory.

4. AR_Six

AR_Six "Sookie!"

Anyway that discussion is kind of boring, so an actual random fashion thought: when I embarked on my winter wardrobe project (which was to take the militaristic aspect and re-direct it somewhere darker) I made a conscious decision NOT to make it end up being black on black on charcoal on black. And yet it seems to be drifting that way anyhow. It seems like the stuff I find that I like always ends up being monochrome, possibly as a result of that just being largely what's out there. TGFDrkshdw, at least.

5. the shah

the shah Persian Bro #2 and enabler-in-chief

well the military isn't really a source of rainbows and lollipops [​IMG]

6. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

don't ask don't tell?

7. pickpackpockpuck

pickpackpockpuck Senior member

8. AR_Six

AR_Six "Sookie!"

well the military isn't really a source of rainbows and lollipops [​IMG]
    It's a hell of a lot more browns, earth tones etc. Which opens up a lot more in terms of blues, reds, that kind of thing. It isn't all black, or even black first and foremost.

9. the shah

the shah Persian Bro #2 and enabler-in-chief

but I know deep inside there is a happiness waiting to express itself. I could never monotonize wardrobe or even limit to certain palette. i need all the colors of the world and beyond

10. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

I want to do this on a small scale and just get T-Shirts, Jeans, and Vans in every color, but then i'd look like LMFAO

11. exclusive erik

exclusive erik Member

12. jet

jet Persian Bro

LV gets slammed a lot on Styleforum, but the materials and manufacture of most of their stuff is impeccable.

Not really, I had a pair of their sneakers back in 2000 (sup rfx) that fell apart after 30 wears. That stupid emblem on those boots is absurd as well which is akin to the plaques affixed to womens handbags that disgust me. Not to mention 80% of the stuff is plastered with logos to indicate status.

13. robin

robin Senior member

I'm hoping that those Junya fair isle jackets are going to be too short for me so that I don't have to buy one.

14. jet

jet Persian Bro

same here

15. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Not really, I had a pair of their sneakers back in 2000 (sup rfx) that fell apart after 30 wears. That stupid emblem on those boots is absurd as well which is akin to the plaques affixed to womens handbags that disgust me. Not to mention 80% of the stuff is plastered with logos to indicate status.

I'm not going to defend the branding, which is really a matter of personal preference (and I do not prefer it,) nor defend their money grab items (t-shirts, sneakers, etc...) for which the markups are ridiculous.

However, the classic luggage and their collections are tremendous. There are very few factories who can do the manufacture they demand. I'd say that Hermes is pretty much the ultra ne plus for materials and manufacture though, in terms of materials and manufacture.

I'm bringing this up mainly as a counter to all the people who say that brands like MA+, etc... are so amazing. Yes, they are very experimental, and they have a very strong sense of identity. But they don't come close to the sheer technical wizardry of some of the traditional luxiry brands.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.