• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Soporific Tie Pr0n

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jrd617
Cashmere unlined, self-tipped:

IMG_6489.jpg

I likey!

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by apropos
Actually, it just looks weird.

Very nice, NOBD.

Thanks, apropos. It's definitely see-through, btw, but I don't think you'll see much of it when it's flat against your body, if you know what I mean.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I am glad that this thread is still more or less on track. You people have good taste, or most of you.

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NOBD
Thanks, apropos. It's definitely see-through, btw, but I don't think you'll see much of it when it's flat against your body, if you know what I mean.
You are most welcome. I know exactly what you mean, and I apologise for (by replying to TD) appearing to be making a fuss about one of my idiosyncracies. The SH rolled tips are swell, and look to be better than those on my LBs. Much closer, much neater, and perhaps a little more subtle. One more thing - beware the snags! Grenadines are quite susceptible to this.

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NOBD
Very happy. The colour is much deeper and more vivid than I expected, and it's beautifully made. I'll do a proper fit pic (with a different shirt) another time, but I had to try it on yesterday:

t4xaS.jpg

Very nice NOBD - is that a FIH?

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You are most welcome.

I know exactly what you mean, and I apologise for (by replying to TD) appearing to be making a fuss about one of my idiosyncracies. The SH rolled tips are swell, and look to be better than those on my LBs. Much closer, much neater, and perhaps a little more subtle.

No need for an apology at all. I'm not a tie expert, so I hadn't really thought about the "see-throughness"...

The rolls are indeed great. My gf has made some pocket squares in the past, so I kind of know how difficult it is to get them this neat, especially in the corners (in this case, the point of the tie).

One more thing - beware the snags! Grenadines are quite susceptible to this.

Thanks, I hope I can prevent those.

Originally Posted by Lonneker
Very nice NOBD - is that a FIH?

Thanks, Lonneker. Yes, FIH.

polar-lemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
1,6, and 7 are not soporific to me.

6 perhaps pushes the boundaries, so
I understand that- photo makes it appear brighter than IRL, though.

Do you question 1 and 7 because of the pink elements? For me, pink excluded, they seem like textbook examples of a soporific print and woven neat pattern, respectively. With the pink, perhaps not textbook, but definitely comfortably within soporific range- perhaps because the individual colors don't stand out so much from a foot away IRL.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by polar-lemon
6 perhaps pushes the boundaries, so
I understand that- photo makes it appear brighter than IRL, though.

Do you question 1 and 7 because of the pink elements? For me, pink excluded, they seem like textbook examples of a soporific print and woven neat pattern, respectively. With the pink, perhaps not textbook, but definitely comfortably within soporific range- perhaps because the individual colors don't stand out so much from a foot away IRL.

For me, its the size of the decorations, and the woven silk as opposed to a printed silk twill.

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
For me, its the size of the decorations, and the woven silk as opposed to a printed silk twill.
To me, these are some things which make soporific ties soporific: - design
  • in general, the less design the better
  • when present, classic design elements - e.g. dots, paisleys, stripes, etc
  • smaller pattern scale > larger pattern scale
  • printed designs > woven designs
  • texture plays an important element in better examples
- colours
  • no bright colours as major design elements, only as accents
  • sombre/darker colors predominate
  • as a rule of thumb, not more than 4 colours in total
- finish/material
  • matte finish - this gives an inherent advantage to wool/wool blends I suppose
  • no fine satins, unless maybe in dark colours - I don't know, I just find solid satins generally gauche; I cannot think of a situation where a satin would not be improved by substituting with a fine twill
Not a comprehensive list by any stretch of the imagination and of course there are (rare) exceptions, but it's just my 0.02.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads