• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

X-Men: FIrst Class (movie thread)

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Exactly, you just hate all of them. Molina as Doc Ock was great and Dafoe as GG was good too. Maguire is the perfect Peter Parker, I really have no idea what you are talking about. He is the right geeky look and your main complaint is his smile? Never liked the Hulk movies so I'm with you there. I literally fell asleep in the theaters watching the first one. Bale didn't use his raspy voice in the first one, not as bad as the second one. The story was good overall. Nolan did great by making it more realistic and less campy. Ra was utilized well and the movie really was good. And Two-Face wasn't int he first movie, you pretty much lose credibility in your debate on that one. Bale was a great cast as Bruce Wayne and again you are more worried about the voice? And Ledger played a great Joker, dude is unmatched. Again, you can hate on all the stupid little things but to hate on Ledgers performance just really kills your cred in these films. You claim to be a comic book fan but do you not realize there are more than one world/reality in these books? There isn't always a straight forward story and characters, some differ in some way in their origins and how they act and their personality, etc.... And in some cases, these movies makes their own canons like this XMen franchise. You are stuck with what you read and what you know but there are other stories out there where this is based on. You want a page on page adaptation but that isn't going to happen, hell you even want all the costumes to be the same when some colorful spandex just really won't work in film. You can't take people in yellow and blue spandex seriously when in real life, it'll be comical. My best suggestion is to really just stick to comic books because none of these movies will make you happy and you're just too picky and pretty closed-minded.
lol8[1].gif

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The only comic-book movie Rambo probably doesn't mind is the faithful-to-the-T Sin City (which itself wasn't bad but nowhere near the calibre of X2 or Batman Begins).

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RFX45
Exactly, you just hate all of them. Molina as Doc Ock was great and Dafoe as GG was good too. Maguire is the perfect Peter Parker, I really have no idea what you are talking about. He is the right geeky look and your main complaint is his smile? Never liked the Hulk movies so I'm with you there. I literally fell asleep in the theaters watching the first one. Bale didn't use his raspy voice in the first one, not as bad as the second one. The story was good overall. Nolan did great by making it more realistic and less campy. Ra was utilized well and the movie really was good. And Two-Face wasn't int he first movie, you pretty much lose credibility in your debate on that one. Bale was a great cast as Bruce Wayne and again you are more worried about the voice? And Ledger played a great Joker, dude is unmatched. Again, you can hate on all the stupid little things but to hate on Ledgers performance just really kills your cred in these films. You claim to be a comic book fan but do you not realize there are more than one world/reality in these books? There isn't always a straight forward story and characters, some differ in some way in their origins and how they act and their personality, etc.... And in some cases, these movies makes their own canons like this XMen franchise. You are stuck with what you read and what you know but there are other stories out there where this is based on. You want a page on page adaptation but that isn't going to happen, hell you even want all the costumes to be the same when some colorful spandex just really won't work in film. You can't take people in yellow and blue spandex seriously when in real life, it'll be comical. My best suggestion is to really just stick to comic books because none of these movies will make you happy and you're just too picky and pretty closed-minded.
lol8[1].gif

How can you possibly say that McMopey was a good Spider-Man. Spidey was always smart, a smart ass, self-deprecating, and witty. McMopey was none of those things and he basically just moped his way through all three movies. Just an awful casting job. You're right that I mixed up Two-Face but I don't see how the movie was anything other than mediocre. Ledger sucks. His Joker was awful. Of course I understand that there are different stories, canons, etc.. Hell, there are about 12 different Spidey themed books out now. What comic book fan wouldn't know this ****? But there are acceptable realities for characters. Wolvie's always a badass, Joker's always playing jokes and is funny, Professor X always reads minds, etc.. Just because somewhere along the line that was done differently doesn't mean you should base the ******* movie on that. If you think I'm closed minded and picky, fine. Its not going to change the fact that I'm right and you're wrong.
devil.gif
Oh, I forgot the X-Men movies. I'll have to add those later as I've got to run now.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
How can you possibly say that McMopey was a good Spider-Man. Spidey was always smart, a smart ass, self-deprecating, and witty. McMopey was none of those things and he basically just moped his way through all three movies. Just an awful casting job.
Because he made those all up on the spot right? That he dismissed the script given to him? It's nto a casting problem if he is told what to do. Was he believable as a mopey lil ****? If he was hen it was a good cast because that is what they were looking for. He had his smartass moment but the film focused on this Peter Parker and it worked with the story. I think you are reminiscing too much about the animation. And Parker has been mopey and bitchy in the comics too, they even made him a complete asshole in the third film, too bad that one just totally blew.
You're right that I mixed up Two-Face but I don't see how the movie was anything other than mediocre. Ledger sucks. His Joker was awful.
Ledger created an unforgettable Joker, he did great. Again, you might be stuck on the Mark Hamill Joker from the animations. Just because Ledger didn't shoot guns with punching gloves or made stupid jokes doesn't make him less accurate. Joker is a sadistic bastard and that was exactly what Ledger played and he played it well. Overall, I don't know how you can say TDK is mediocre at best. Story was freaking good, with it's twist and turns. Acted out well, action was great. My only complaint was that stupid Bat sonar Bats used but that was it. Again, I really suggest focusing on the story instead of getting stuck in a single thing that ruins the whole movie for you.
Of course I understand that there are different stories, canons, etc.. Hell, there are about 12 different Spidey themed books out now. What comic book fan wouldn't know this ****? But there are acceptable realities for characters. Wolvie's always a badass, Joker's always playing jokes and is funny, Professor X always reads minds, etc.. Just because somewhere along the line that was done differently doesn't mean you should base the ******* movie on that.
Yah but that is what they chose to focus on, pick a universe and go with that. The new Avengers film will be based on the Ultimates Universe so they'll stick Hawkeye in a black leather suit instead of a purple leotard and that is acceptable to me. It is based on the Universe, it is accurate to the comics but I feel you would hate it because it isn't his original suit. I mean seriously, how can you like this XMen film? Nothing is accurate and the characters are just based of the comics but their continuity and timeline is all fucked up. I really am surprised you aren't boycotting it. All I'm saying is if the story and characters are done well and it works with the story, whats the problem? I mean it;s funny, you liked the Iron Man film so much but if they wanted to make it more accurate they should have made him more drunk and shouldn't they have made the terrorist Asian instead of Middle Eastern? Wheres the complain on that inaccuracy?
If you think I'm closed minded and picky, fine. Its not going to change the fact that I'm right and you're wrong.
devil.gif

Simply stating that you are right isn't even a fact, it's all opinion but whatever helps you sleep at night.
lol8[1].gif
Again I am just suggesting, go to the film with an open mind and you might actually enjoy the film or else you're wasting your time and money.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Neo_Version 7
The only comic-book movie Rambo probably doesn't mind is the faithful-to-the-T Sin City (which itself wasn't bad but nowhere near the calibre of X2 or Batman Begins).

Watchmen and 300 too, but iirc Rambo hated Watchmen too.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
e7P8P.gif

Reynard369

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
RFX you sound like a big comic book fanboi. Tobey Maguire as Spiderman sucked because Spiderman was a badass and Tobey Maguire is a ***** and beyond ******* annoying. Whether you want to put it down to the casting, acting, writing, or directing, the Spiderman movies sucked. And Kirsten Dunst is not a believable love interest for a SUPERhero because she's ******* ugly.

A lot of the other stuff Rambo was just nitpicking. But yeah, Tobey Maguire sucks.

Reynard369

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Probably because Watchmen was less entertaining than Daredevil (or Elektra) and twice as long.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reynard369
Probably because Watchmen was less entertaining than Daredevil (or Elektra) and twice as long.
That is pure and utter BS. Have you read the novel? Only people who I've heard say this has never read the novel.
Originally Posted by Reynard369
RFX you sound like a big comic book fanboi. Tobey Maguire as Spiderman sucked because Spiderman was a badass and Tobey Maguire is a ***** and beyond ******* annoying. Whether you want to put it down to the casting, acting, writing, or directing, the Spiderman movies sucked. And Kirsten Dunst is not a believable love interest for a SUPERhero because she's ******* ugly.
Spider-Man is a bad-ass, Peter Parker isn't. He does Emo-Spider so well.
2003839490.gif
BTW, I'm not disagreeing with Dunst being ugly but that is why they keep getting her wet in the movies.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Watchmen was ******* terrible. How you could have possibly enjoyed that movie is beyond me. I didn't care about 300 one way or another but I'm not a fan of stop-action outside of the Matrix.
Originally Posted by Neo_Version 7
e7P8P.gif

DON'T REMOVE IT FROM THE ORIGINAL PACKAGING!

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Rambo's comic book review corner, Vol. 2:

300 - This is the gayest **** ever. Its like a UFC fight on steroids, soaked in baby oil, and stamped "prime **** jacking off material". And its all filmed in slow motion glory for ease of masturbatory efforts. Well done!

The Spirit - I didn't even see it, that's how good it seemed! (And a ******* shame too because Darwyn Cooke's reboot was excellent.)

X-Men 1 - not bad overall but it suffered from a ****** plot and some horrible casting choices - Halle Berry as Storm? Awful. Angela Bassett would have rocked the **** out of that. That weepy dickhead as Cyclops? Seriously? Cyke was supposed to be the leader and a hard motherfucker to boot. And some of the dialogue was just terrible. I still remember that scene in the lobby of the Statue of Liberty - "You know what happens when a toad gets hit by lightening? Same thing as everything else." **** you halle berry.

X-Men 2 - Same ****** casting from 1 but some new addons such as the idiots who played Iceman and Pyro. Plot wasn't much better and neither was the acting. Worth a watch, nothing more.

X-Men 3 - Do I really even need to bother with this one?

Wolverine Origins - This should have been titled "Abortion" or "Hugh Jackman Mail's It In"

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Comic book movies are so much more tolerable when you don't pay to see them. REally liked Dark Knight though.

pvrhye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like most of the recent comic book movies, but I don't get the love for the X-men ones. I'll watch them, because I don't want my nerd-card revoked, but I hope the reboot steps up the game a bit. We can all agree that the wolverine one was terrible... which is amazing since it's not that hard to make a good wolverine story. Just skip turning Deadpool into Baraka...

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Movie was pretty good although the key is to forget anything you know about the comics. Yeah you heard it right Rambo.
lol8[1].gif

They really made a new universe with these characters and story. As a stand alone movie w/o knowing the comics, it's pretty damn good. They tied in the Cuban missile crisis well, the bromance between Charles and Erik and how they came about in the first 3 films was handled well and the action was satisfying.

Main gripes, Jones as Frost was just a terrible decision. Frost is supposed to be this sexy and seductive woman but in the movie she is just a bitchy chick in her underwear. Jones just couldn't act too well, she was just there as an eye candy really.

Casting for Charles and Erik is pretty good too, especially Erik. Fassbender was a badass overall.

I don't want to put any spoilers in so I'll end the brief review there. There is no easter egg at the end of the credits so don't bother staying and there are a few bits and pieces in the film where the whole theater will be cheering. You'll know what it is once you see it.

I'll be ready to argue with Rambo after he sees the film and hates it.

I'd probably rank this on the same level as Thor or maybe slightly about it because the story is much better on this one.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads