• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LawrenceMD
you say that the pressure may be on the Grizzlies now, but I think its the opposite:

its like in boxing where a former champ [spurs] is on his last legs and the Spurs made that last ditched valiant effort to survive a knockdown in round 9 and even came back and knocked down the Grizzlies to even the round. But too much damage was accumulated in the previous rounds and the Grizzlies might be primed to kill the spurs off.

it was a really exciting game and for the most part really well-played. and since i'm a laker fan, i would rather have memphis win, because i think that's an easier matchup for us. BUT, it'll be interesting to see how they bounce back. this is a team that has never been to the playoffs before (this lineup) and that has a franchise has never won a playoff game. they've played great, maybe over their heads, and came within one defensive rebound of the biggest upset of their history. can they bounce back from that? or will this win be the thing that pumps life back into the spurs. at 3-1, it looked like memphis had a good chance. at 3-2, not so much. if they can't win it in game 6 on their homecourt, they're toast.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Originally Posted by designprofessor
OKC!

gtfo

you say that the pressure may be on the Grizzlies now, but I think its the opposite:

One of the dumbest things I've read in this thread, pressure is on the grizzlies? LOL!!

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
One of the dumbest things I've read in this thread, pressure is on the grizzlies? LOL!!
Have the Grizzlies lost on their home court this series? Are the Grizzlies facing elimination? I don't think its dumb to assume that the pressure is on the Spurs. The grizzlies seem almost naive enough to think that they can win any game even when down 16 in the 3rd in San Antonio (or any game against San Antonio) so they must have confidence going into game 6 at home. If the Spurs win game six then the pressure will be back on the gRizz... but the odds of coming back 3-1 is less than 5%.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet

Again, lets just look at it from an Odds point of view:

this forum compiled the NBA series that were 3-1 where the team came back to win

Winner\tLoser\tYear\tRound
Boston\t Philadelphia\t 1968\t Eastern Division finals
LA Lakers\t Phoenix\t 1970\t Western Division semifinals
Washington\t San Antonio\t 1979\t Eastern Conference finals
Boston\t Philadelphia\t 1981\t Eastern Conference finals
Houston\t Phoenix\t 1995\t Western Conference semifinals
Miami\t New York\t 1997\t Eastern Conference semifinals
Detroit\t Orlando\t 2003\t Eastern Conference first round
Phoenix\t LA Lakers\t 2006\t Western Conference first round

http://pregame.com/forums/forums/t/87652.aspx

Of the 189 NBA teams that were down 3-1 in a best-of-seven playoff series, eight advanced.

8/189= 4.2% (thats since 2010).

So the spurs are facing odds where only 4.2% of teams have come back to win. Even odds wise the pressure is firmly on the spurs.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
I was agreeing with you ease up player.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
it was a classic game. The best part is that replay actually made the game better, because after they reviewed Manu's shot it was correctly called a 2pt shot, and set up an even more dramatic finish.

its like in boxing where a former champ [spurs] is on his last legs and the Spurs made that last ditched valiant effort to survive a knockdown in round 9 and even came back and knocked down the Grizzlies to even the round. But too much damage was accumulated in the previous rounds and the Grizzlies might be primed to kill the spurs off.

I really want to see the spurs come back then run through the west like a #1 seed should do, but damn the spurs look old tired and beaten.

I disagree with you. The only member of the starting 5 who looks tired is Duncan. I hate to say it, but Splitter's emerging out there. Richard Jefferson and Matt Bonner should their asses glued to the bench where they belong, and the rest of the team needs to play better defense. I think the pressure is on Memphis because they breathed life back into the Spurs...

But I'm not even close to objective.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
Again, lets just look at it from an Odds point of view:

this forum compiled the NBA series that were 3-1 where the team came back to win

Winner\tLoser\tYear\tRound
Boston\t Philadelphia\t 1968\t Eastern Division finals
LA Lakers\t Phoenix\t 1970\t Western Division semifinals
Washington\t San Antonio\t 1979\t Eastern Conference finals
Boston\t Philadelphia\t 1981\t Eastern Conference finals
Houston\t Phoenix\t 1995\t Western Conference semifinals
Miami\t New York\t 1997\t Eastern Conference semifinals
Detroit\t Orlando\t 2003\t Eastern Conference first round
Phoenix\t LA Lakers\t 2006\t Western Conference first round

http://pregame.com/forums/forums/t/87652.aspx

Of the 189 NBA teams that were down 3-1 in a best-of-seven playoff series, eight advanced.

8/189= 4.2% (thats since 2010).

So the spurs are facing odds where only 4.2% of teams have come back to win. Even odds wise the pressure is firmly on the spurs.

Didn't the Spurs come back from 3-1 on the Hornets in '08?

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the other way of looking at it is that the 60-win spurs only need to win 2 games against the 45-win grizzlies. what was there head-to-head this year? 4-0?

not saying the spurs can cruise, just that an inexperienced No. 8 needs to take every chance that comes there way when it comes to upsetting a truly veteran No. 1. and memphis dropped that last night.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Steve B.
NO- because you guys weren't willing to pony up the cash for the jersey. Remember me teasing you about each kicking in $5.00?
No, the best was the loser has to take a pic wearing a jersey of the winners choosing and I agreed. The bet wasn't about the loser buying a Spurs/Lakers jersey. It should be easy for you, you used to be a Laker fan, you probably still have a Kobe jersey lying around your house somewhere.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
lol8[1].gif

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
Originally Posted by foodguy
the other way of looking at it is that the 60-win spurs only need to win 2 games against the 45-win grizzlies. what was there head-to-head this year? 4-0?

not saying the spurs can cruise, just that an inexperienced No. 8 needs to take every chance that comes there way when it comes to upsetting a truly veteran No. 1. and memphis dropped that last night.

It was 2-2. Spurs took 1st 2, Grizz won 2nd 2.

Originally Posted by RFX45
No, the best was the loser has to take a pic wearing a jersey of the winners choosing and I agreed. The bet wasn't about the loser buying a Spurs/Lakers jersey. It should be easy for you, you used to be a Laker fan, you probably still have a Kobe jersey lying around your house somewhere.

Not the way I rem it. I'm pretty sure I have a vintage Laker jersey around here somewhere, but I'm not springing for a Kobe jersey, just like you guys wouldn't spring for Manu.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It was 2-2. Spurs took 1st 2, Grizz won 2nd 2.

in that case, you're f*cked.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Not the way I rem it. I'm pretty sure I have a vintage Laker jersey around here somewhere, but I'm not springing for a Kobe jersey, just like you guys wouldn't spring for Manu.

Exactly, no one plans on getting buying a jersey, SteveB in a Kobe jersey is enough for me. And that was the bet. You can go to the store or ask any friends who may own one, it doesn't matter, I just want SteveB in a Kobe jersey.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads