• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Beer Thread

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Went back to West Lakeview Liquors tonight. Same dude helped me get some new choices. I got:
Bockor Brewery Bellegem's bruin west flanders ale
A German Rauchbier
Blanche de Bruxelle white ale and
2003 vintage Aventinus

I can't imagine the aventinus will be any good. That's not really a style that should be aged.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by texas_jack
I can't imagine the aventinus will be any good. That's not really a style that should be aged.

Really? The guy at the shop told me it was aged for 3 years before even being released.
I found this review online:

picked up this bottle of Aventinus at Whole Foods per a recommendation from my buddy Paul (the beer guy there). However, this was no regular bottle. As the finely wrapped bottle indicated, it had been brewed in 2003 and cellared in the ice caves of Kelheim for a minimum of three years. They've done this with only 240 cases at a time since 1999. The brewery boasts that they make the world's oldest doppelbock and to great acclaim.
I was stuck inside waiting out the blizzard of 2011 that fell on Chicago. An epic storm called for an equally epic brew. I was so nervous as I cracked open this 7 year old brew, not sure what to expect.
Recalling that I'm not a big fan of German Hefes and having had some sub par weizenbocks, I gingerly poured the milk chocolate colored contents. I wanted to be mindful of the sediment at the bottom and know that the head of most wheat beers develop exponentially. To say the least, my pour was weak sauce and it didn't produce the appearance I was looking for. Later I did swirl some sediment to add to the glass.
I found the aroma to be more bock-like than wheat beer. There were large hints of malt, malt extract, kilned grains, toffee (big time), and caramel. It was mellow, chill, relaxed as the aging took off some major notes of banana which I was grateful for. Clove and chocolate also contributed a great deal to the aroma.
These latter aromas were definitely in the spotlight in the taste. Milk chocolate graced the front of my tongue and paired well with the light tropical blend of coconut, light banana, and cloves at the finish. Vanilla tones came out, but on the whole this beer was malt-centric. The mouthfeel was moderate with help from the wheat. The aftertaste was bready, yeasty, and malty. The abv was nonexistent and hide behind toasty flavors.
If you are a fan of weizenbocks, bocks, or malty brews you'll enjoy this aged treat. It finishes smooth and is rather refreshing with some residual sugars. In fact, it was similar in taste to the malt extract that is used in home brewing.
I'd like to try a fresh bottle to compare the difference.
But I guess I'll find out for myself soon enough

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really? The guy at the shop told me it was aged for 3 years before even being released.
I found this review online:

But I guess I'll find out for myself soon enough

To my mind it's essentially a wheat beer and those are to be consumed fresh. That being said, Aventinus is one of my all time favorites.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
OMG this Blanche de Bruxelles is so good. Same style as the Hitachino White Ale, with coriander and orange peel. But the hops are much more subtle and this is just soo sooo sooooooo smooth.

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After earning discharge I celebrated with some Old Rasputin and my last bottle of Big John...it was worth it. Hopefully Goose Island will release it again next year!

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is Old Rasputin only sold in big bottles? I saw the one at the shop tonight, but it was $22, which is a bit too salty for me.
My store sells it in 4 packs or 12oz singles. I wish they sold it in bombers
laugh.gif

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sweetwater IPA is what my fridge is usually stocked with for watching some football or hockey or with food. I'm too lazy to see out and actually stock specialty beer at home. I usually just tend to go to a place like Brick Store or Ormsby’s here in Atlanta.

Also, Kyle, Old Rasputin does come in 12 oz bottles. I had some at International Tap House in St. Louis when I was there over Xmas.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Is Old Rasputin only sold in big bottles? I saw the one at the shop tonight, but it was $22, which is a bit too salty for me.
That's a bit pricey for a bomber. The 4 pack runs about $10.

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
That's a bit pricey for a bomber. The 4 pack runs about $10.
Yeah my store sells a 4 pack for $8

JSC437

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Went for a walk at lunch time (near Grand Central/Bryant Park)... walked in to a newstand that had a sign that said CRAFT BEER on the outside window. 3 4-packs of KBS were sitting there.... and now they are mine.

kbs.jpg

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JSC437
Went for a walk at lunch time (near Grand Central/Bryant Park)... walked in to a newstand that had a sign that said CRAFT BEER on the outside window. 3 4-packs of KBS were sitting there.... and now they are mine.

kbs.jpg

worship.gif

JSC437

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by texas_jack
Nice, meanwhile I had to go to 4 places to get a total of 8 bottles.

The most random find ever. I spent 2 weeks going back and forth to the fancy beer stores in town so that I can accumulate 6 bottles of KBS. Now i go for a walk during lunch and stumble upon 4-packs KBS. Life is funny like that.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads