• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CHRK33

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Astronaut, it was a murderers' row this month. Must have been all the retailers' spring orders piled up waiting for a big shipment out to ShoeMart. Joe seemed a bit frazzled when I spoke to him this morning. His bank account will be looking good this month.
smile.gif

lxlfeng

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CHRK33
Astronaut, it was a murderers' row this month. Must have been all the retailers' spring orders piled up waiting for a big shipment out to ShoeMart. Joe seemed a bit frazzled when I spoke to him this morning. His bank account will be looking good this month.
smile.gif

lol yep, spoke with him too!
really disappointed i was too late to get the colour 8 plain toe boots though
frown.gif

interlockingny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1. I actually got a pair of the ravello/black grain saddles in my size from the list (with only a very minor black smudge on the underside of the instep). Because I am a glutton for punishment, I get the size up from mine as well just to see what they have and there was a cigar indy boot with commando soles available, as well as snuff suede indy with red brick soles. Pretty damn nice for somebody.

Nice score. They are actually Whiskey / Black grain saddles. Did you get them in 10D and 10.5D?

lxlfeng

Reaction score
how do the modified last fit compared to the other lasts?
i heard it fits like a barrie, but was never sure.

triumphman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Astronaut888
Dude - the shoemarket irregulars are killing me this month.
Cigars, Chromexel, ...............Must resist...

Seriously... they have a cigar chukka in sz 8. wish these were in a 7.5...
frown.gif

Astronaut888

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lxlfeng
lol yep, spoke with him too!
really disappointed i was too late to get the colour 8 plain toe boots though
frown.gif

depending on the last, i can take a 6.5 or 7
So, that is likely why some nice ones hang around in my small size

CHRK33

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by interlockingny
Nice score. They are actually Whiskey / Black grain saddles. Did you get them in 10D and 10.5D?
You are totally right...'twas Whiskey. I got them only in my size, 10D in Barrie. Not trying to hoard them from others. Hope the other pair found a good home.

REguy

Reaction score
^Just curious what you plan to wear those with? I was excited to see them in the Shoemart email but then said to myself, "Does a $135 discount make them any better looking than they were at $535?"

CHRK33

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by REguy
^Just curious what you plan to wear those with? I was excited to see them in the Shoemart email but then said to myself, "Does a $135 discount make them any better looking than they were at $535?"
REguy, I asked myself that very same question. But considering I actually rarely wear black shoes with my suits, even where traditionalists might say you should (like navy or charcoal), I would substitute this shoe for any brown shoes I considered would look good with a navy or grey suit. I also think those shoes are really beautiful. I will just have to be creative. I would also be very open to any other suggestions for what I could wear those two-tone saddles with or pics from people who already have them.

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by REguy

That's good thinking - why buy something you don't want because it's discounted?

REguy, I asked myself that very same question. But considering I actually rarely wear black shoes with my suits, even where traditionalists might say you should (like navy or charcoal), I would substitute this shoe for any brown shoes I considered would look good with a navy or grey suit. I also think those shoes are really beautiful. I will just have to be creative.

I would also be very open to any other suggestions for what I could wear those two-tone saddles with or pics from people who already have them.

I consider these to be a casual shoe and I got a pair (from Leffot) to wear in place of black shoes/boots mainly because I find black shoes boring. I wouldn't wear them with a suit - although they'd work with summer suit fabrics, e.g., cotton & seersucker. I think they'll be great with black denim and with black, dark grey, khaki, and some shades of brown slacks.

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thebunk
Can anyone recommend a good belt for a pair of Ravello shoes? The shoes (boots really) are ALden Ravello Brixton Boots which I will likely wear in casual and dress situations so if anyone has any good casual (i.e. tanner maybe?) and\\or dress belt suggestions, I would welcome them all. My budget would be no more then $100.

Thanks,
B

I purchased a Ravello shell belt to go with my Ravello shoes. Keep your eyes open and you'll be able to find one. It was a good deal more expensive than $100 though.

CHRK33

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Jhcam, did the ones from Leffot have a crepe sole? These might be slightly different because I was told they were a single leather sole, which hopefully lends them a slightly more formal feel (or so i hope). I agree with your premise that black shoes are pretty boring.

We'll see; I actually think they are nice-looking shoes. They weren't a must have at full price, but the more palatable 'seconds' price piqued my interest.

Marcellionheart

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lxlfeng
how do the modified last fit compared to the other lasts?
i heard it fits like a barrie, but was never sure.

It's slightly bigger than the Trubalance last in my experience. I went TTS with the Trubalance, but had to size down for the modified. Got fitted at Moulded Shoe in NYC, so those guys know what they're talking about.

My advice, if you find your Trubalance/Barrie fit snugly, you may have to size down.

HarryFlashman

Reaction score
There is a lot of great stuff on the Alden irregulars emails in the small sizes this month as well! Whiskey chukkas are out there, and I would have bought them if I hadn't ordered Ravello LHS from last month's email!

Does anyone have any experience with the 379X last? Particularly compared to the Barrie of Van last?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads