• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Collectro

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jhcam8
I haven't experienced this 'problem' on my crepes - maybe not enought wear yet, but I've worn a pair of boots w/crepe all winter and they're holding up fine.

Just use a stiff brush on the reverse chamois as needed - maybe a little spray if you like. Someone, maybe Steven at Leffot, said neatsfoot oil.

Originally Posted by Ahab
I wore my crepe soles today and though I do not like the crepe sole, because I do not think it looks dressy, I do not mind the leather doing that on mine at all. The leather is there because it is easy to replace and I guess saves the wear on the toe of the crepe. There are other shoe companies that do not have the leather tip to their soles and I guess they do not have serious problems so I am not sure why Alden does their crepe soles in this manner. I prefer the commando sole to the crepe and will seek it out always over the crepe in the future. I am not ruling out buying crepe ever again if I see a shoe I really like but it would have to be a less dressy shoe as I think the sole look yucky after a single wear. I wish Alden had something like the Dainite sole.
eh.gif

Thanks guys.
I've decided to wait a few seasons or until the crepe starts to look really ****** and send them to alden for a resole. I want the double waterlock oiled leather sole and vintage Goodyear rubber heel, essentially turning them into the leathersoul pitt boots only on a barrie last. I'm not really sure how the resole works, would the antiqued edge trim still remain or would it have to be recreated during the resole?

number9dream

Reaction score
Originally Posted by enigma77
I would argue that handling and wearing an AE/RW/Florsheim shoe is a much different, and frankly lower quality, experience than handling and wearing pretty much any Alden. .

I disagree. I own 7 pairs of AE, 8 pairs of Alden, and one pair of C&J. I can say from experience that AE holds up quite well next to Alden in terms of quality, comfort and design. In fact, I actually prefer my AEs for business wear (I'm a trial lawyer). The AE Clifton is one hell of a nice shoe for Tuesday mornings in a courtroom, but they are totally out of place with jeans in the evening at a bar. That's where Alden really shines. The Aldens are heavier because of the steel shank (metal detector nightmare) and are shaped somewhat clunkier (the Barrie last won't win any awards for sleekness) --- which makes them great for Saturday evenings on the town. Even my Ravello NSTs on the Aberdeen last are a bit too clunky for suit wear. However, across the board, my Aldens are much more stylish shoes. Tweed sportcoat, well-worn cords and Alden Color 8 wingtip boots -- perfect for a night of swilling beer.

I also have to say AE also won me over when with their customer service. I bought a pair of the brown cordo Strands in my normal size from an online discounter. They're made from the same Horween brown shell cordovan used in the C&J Ralph Lauren Darlton wingtips I have, and with excellent brogueing. When I got them, they fit very large. I wore them for about a week and as they began to break in, I realized that they were simply too big for my feet. Took them to my local AE store in Chicago, and they re-sized me and exchanged my worn cordovan shoes for new ones, no questions asked and without a receipt! That's one hell of a good way to make a loyal customer for life. Alden certainly has great customer service as well, but currently not at the same level.

Alden makes a fantastic shoe. That's why I own so many of them and read this thread. But they are not clearly superior to other American made shoes.

HarryFlashman

Reaction score
Anyone have opinions on this cigar shell model on the van last? I am intrigued, as it might go as a casual shoe, maybe even sockless...

FD-73904.jpg

HorseHide

Reaction score
^ My first thought is "Some retailer gets an allocation of cigar shell and that's what they make?"

HarryFlashman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by HorseHide
^ My first thought is "Some retailer gets an allocation of cigar shell and that's what they make?"

Haha... I am torn, I feel like that, but am somewhat intrigued as it is something I've never seen before. Though, seems I'd better fill whatever need this shoes would fill with some Quoddy's or something... You never know what will appear on the Alden's seconds emails! I had a similar thought to HorseHide when I saw these Ravello/#8 combos on the modified last:

FD-54334.jpg

vivalet

Reaction score
That is the reasoning I heard. the toe of crepe soles tend to catch on the surface you are walking on especially if it is carpet. the leather slides better when you are bring your foot forward and slightly touching the surface. Also, my understanding, Alden fully expects the leather toe will need to be replaced before the crepe needs to be. But they should both last a long time.

Originally Posted by HarryFlashman
I am plagairizing someone else's post from some point earlier on this thread, but I believe I read the reason Alden uses a leather tip on the crepe soles is to prevent "tripping."

CTYGGG

Reaction score
Anyone have opinions on this cigar shell model on the van last? I am intrigued, as it might go as a casual shoe, maybe even sockless...

FD-73904.jpg

The ranger moc great casual shoe. Not usually made up in shell although I own a pair in shell #8.
cfc928f7.jpg

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Lots of shell in 9d on the Alden seconds email this month from TSM...some Indy's too. Nothing suited me though, but others may like whats there.

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haha... I am torn, I feel like that, but am somewhat intrigued as it is something I've never seen before. Though, seems I'd better fill whatever need this shoes would fill with some Quoddy's or something... You never know what will appear on the Alden's seconds emails! I had a similar thought to HorseHide when I saw these Ravello/#8 combos on the modified last:

FD-54334.jpg

An innovative style - probably not the best if you have a limited shoe supply, but if you're loaded (with shoes, i.e.) these would fit in nicely, I'd think.

kit99bar

Reaction score
emailed them for info on this chukka but no response. anyone know what last it is on?

Originally Posted by triumphman
Seriously... they have a cigar chukka in sz 8. wish these were in a 7.5...
frown.gif

lagsun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger
Lots of shell in 9d on the Alden seconds email this month from TSM...some Indy's too. Nothing suited me though, but others may like whats there.

8.5d too. Unfortunately I just pulled the trigger on some cigar boots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads