• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Yale MBA - Ranking & Perception? (or lack thereof?)

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lord-Barrington
Sure. But the point is that some of these schools really do function as little bubbles that are totally separated from the real world. Yale may be the worst example of this. Within the campus walls, a bunch of grad students looking down their noses at each other because of the perceived differences in prestige between their programs. Outside the walls, ghetto-ass New Haven.
Shut your mouth about New Haven, you sniveling peon! Seriously, though, yeah. Place is a shithole. A quirky and kind of fun shithole, though.

Dashaansafin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It actually wasn't your post at all. I should have pointed that out. Your post was stating how these things actually work at many elite universities. I remember someone telling me once that KSG students at Harvard were considered the lepers of Harvard's graduate students and looked down upon by HLS and HBS students at tailgates. I found that quite telling.

Whats wrong with that? KSG is pretty easy to get into as is Columbia GS and LSE Master programs. Its basically a backdoor into the program, I dont see how "telling" this is. Its like working at Goldman Sachs and working in back office.

vaeliant

Reaction score
So Yale SOM has been (relatively) bashed for a bit here, haha. How about Yale undergrad as far as finance recruiting goes?

Lord-Barrington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vaeliant
So Yale SOM has been (relatively) bashed for a bit here, haha. How about Yale undergrad as far as finance recruiting goes?
It's terrible. The Bulge Brackets will make a stop on campus just long enough to laugh at your worthless degree before heading to Penn.

Daseinflaw

Reaction score
It's terrible. The Bulge Brackets will make a stop on campus just long enough to laugh at your worthless degree before heading to Penn.

butbut.gif
butbut.gif
butbut.gif

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

I assume you're joking.

There's pretty much no industry on Earth that would value Penn undergrad over Yale undergrad, certainly including IB.

Lord-Barrington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Don Carlos
I assume you're joking.

There's pretty much no industry on Earth that would value Penn undergrad over Yale undergrad, certainly including IB.

Obviously the sarcasm wasn't thick enough in my original post.

Daseinflaw

Reaction score
I assume you're joking. There's pretty much no industry on Earth that would value Penn undergrad over Yale undergrad, certainly including IB.
Well from what I've read, a Wharton undergrad is definitely highly valued in I-Banking

kungapa

Reaction score
I assume you're joking.

Penn undergrad - Wharton included - is more of a target school than Yale is. The way recruiting works for undergrads at Penn works wonders for the kids in the college and engineering as well as for Wharton. There is hardly any finance institution that won't make a stop at Penn, whereas there are plenty that don't end up at Yale.

Yale undergrad isn't nearly as finance focused as Princeton or Harvard. It is more of a student choice thing than a quality of education thing though.

kungapa

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Daseinflaw
Well from what I've read, a Wharton undergrad is definitely highly valued in I-Banking

Lulz @ understatement.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dashaansafin
Whats wrong with that? KSG is pretty easy to get into as is Columbia GS and LSE Master programs. Its basically a backdoor into the program, I dont see how "telling" this is. Its like working at Goldman Sachs and working in back office.
I think KSG's admit rate is pretty high, but I don't think they give out a lot of $. $100K for a public policy/public admin. degree is really not wise, considering the salary you're likely to earn.

SirSuturesALot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One data point for the Penn vs Yale debate. In the latest round of summer analyst recruiting, a top bulge took in nearly 4 Penn for every 1 Yale.

kungapa

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SirSuturesALot
One data point for the Penn vs Yale debate. In the latest round of summer analyst recruiting, a top bulge took in nearly 4 Penn for every 1 Yale.

Pretty typical. But the big difference is that there are plenty fewer Yalies per year (2500 vs 1200 or so) and many fewer Yalies seek to go into that industry.

Lord-Barrington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kungapa
Pretty typical. But the big difference is that there are plenty fewer Yalies per year (2500 vs 1200 or so) and many fewer Yalies seek to go into that industry.

I can't believe this turned into a serious discussion.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
I think KSG's admit rate is pretty high, but I don't think they give out a lot of $. $100K for a public policy/public admin. degree is really not wise, considering the salary you're likely to earn.

But they help form policy that benefit the city/state/nation as a whole and thats a good thing.
devil.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads