• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by frogger02
Agh, I think I mean the 232. My mistake.
Dims for a 232, 14" W x 11" H x 5" D Essentially the same as what you already own.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there a product (made by Filson or anyone else) that will darken the bridle leather straps on my bag? I don't necessarily mind the destressing - the bag is 15 years old and has been through a lot of daily wear - but am wondering if it can be freshened up. How about shoe polish?

iPhoneSFonly009.jpg

iPhoneSFonly010.jpg

entrero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by porcelain monkey
Is there a product (made by Filson or anyone else) that will darken the bridle leather straps on my bag? I don't necessarily mind the destressing - the bag is 15 years old and has been through a lot of daily wear - but am wondering if it can be freshened up. How about shoe polish?

Fiebings

matstyleku

Reaction score
Picked up the 256 in tan, but not really digging the profile. Want something a bit smaller with more depth, looking into the Medium Oil Finished Field bag 70112. Anyone have both sizes that can comment on differences? I leave Monday for my first trip, so would have to order now and get before my second trip, meaning no bag for Europe.

Edit: Realized the cloth is quite different on tin cloth. Anybody that has it can comment on how well it holds up as based on reviews of the duffle, it doesn't appear to be that great.

As a side note, the 256 will probably go up for sale, NWT. I can also bring to Italy/Greece with me.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

iPhoneSFonly009.jpg

iPhoneSFonly010.jpg

My understanding (someone please correct if I'm mistaken) is that anything with beeswax in it will darken leather. As recommended above, Obenauf's LP seems very well regarded (and contains beeswax).

That bag looks excellent; would be great to see some shots of the whole thing.

huskyzealot

Reaction score

iPhoneSFonly009.jpg

iPhoneSFonly010.jpg

Any chance you'd be willing to share additional pics of your bag? It seems to have aged really nicely over the 15 years, would love to see how the rest of the bag looks.

Thanks.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Does anyone know how consistent Filson's process for canvas color is? I'm trying to put together a set of otter green bags and I have a hard time finding bags that look like they match. It seems as the bags age they lose their green tone and start to turn almost grey or brown. Or is all the variety because Filson has used slightly different colors of canvas? Do they have different sources?

ghdvfddzgzdzg

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
spilled balsamic vinegar into my tan 257 this morning. wiped it out. it dried, almost no stains. I am impressed.

bibs

Reaction score
Thinking of getting the 257 , where can i buy it at a good price or is there anyone here selling theirs
smile.gif
?

ReversoLover

Reaction score
Hey everyone

I just joined SF and found this thread today - very pleased.

I'm planning on going to med school (so having a good amount of books + computer potentially) so I was wondering if there's anyone here who's been in the same situation - which Filson did you choose?

I really like the 232, but if it's too small....I don't want to waste my money.

So 232, 256, or 257?
Brown, Otter Green, or Tan?

Sorry if this has been discussed before...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads