Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LawrenceMD, Aug 14, 2009.

1. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

Agh, I think I mean the 232. My mistake.
    Dims for a 232, 14" W x 11" H x 5" D Essentially the same as what you already own.

2. porcelain monkey

porcelain monkey Senior member

Is there a product (made by Filson or anyone else) that will darken the bridle leather straps on my bag? I don't necessarily mind the destressing - the bag is 15 years old and has been through a lot of daily wear - but am wondering if it can be freshened up. How about shoe polish?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Johdus Fanfoozal

Johdus Fanfoozal Senior member

^Most oils darken leather. Mink oil works well on my briefcase/valise. A lot of folks on here recommend Obenauf's LP.

4. TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES

TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES Senior member

Anyone have pictures of their tote?

like actually handling it?

5. entrero

entrero Senior member

Is there a product (made by Filson or anyone else) that will darken the bridle leather straps on my bag? I don't necessarily mind the destressing - the bag is 15 years old and has been through a lot of daily wear - but am wondering if it can be freshened up. How about shoe polish?

Fiebings

6. matstyleku

matstyleku Senior member

Picked up the 256 in tan, but not really digging the profile. Want something a bit smaller with more depth, looking into the Medium Oil Finished Field bag 70112. Anyone have both sizes that can comment on differences? I leave Monday for my first trip, so would have to order now and get before my second trip, meaning no bag for Europe.

Edit: Realized the cloth is quite different on tin cloth. Anybody that has it can comment on how well it holds up as based on reviews of the duffle, it doesn't appear to be that great.

As a side note, the 256 will probably go up for sale, NWT. I can also bring to Italy/Greece with me.

7. hiisociety

hiisociety Well-Known Member

8. dcg

dcg Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My understanding (someone please correct if I'm mistaken) is that anything with beeswax in it will darken leather. As recommended above, Obenauf's LP seems very well regarded (and contains beeswax).

That bag looks excellent; would be great to see some shots of the whole thing.

9. huskyzealot

huskyzealot Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any chance you'd be willing to share additional pics of your bag? It seems to have aged really nicely over the 15 years, would love to see how the rest of the bag looks.

Thanks.

10. dmash

dmash Senior member

got a 257 in tan for sale if any1 is interested

11. ClassyCanuck

ClassyCanuck Senior member

Here is the #256 I just received the other day from Crane's.
    Can't wait to start using it and loosening it up a little.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. StephenHero

StephenHero Black Floridian

Does anyone know how consistent Filson's process for canvas color is? I'm trying to put together a set of otter green bags and I have a hard time finding bags that look like they match. It seems as the bags age they lose their green tone and start to turn almost grey or brown. Or is all the variety because Filson has used slightly different colors of canvas? Do they have different sources?

13. ghdvfddzgzdzg

ghdvfddzgzdzg Senior member

spilled balsamic vinegar into my tan 257 this morning. wiped it out. it dried, almost no stains. I am impressed.

14. bibs

bibs Senior member

Thinking of getting the 257 , where can i buy it at a good price or is there anyone here selling theirs [​IMG] ?

15. ReversoLover

ReversoLover Senior member

Hey everyone

I just joined SF and found this thread today - very pleased.

I'm planning on going to med school (so having a good amount of books + computer potentially) so I was wondering if there's anyone here who's been in the same situation - which Filson did you choose?

I really like the 232, but if it's too small....I don't want to waste my money.

So 232, 256, or 257?
    Brown, Otter Green, or Tan?

Sorry if this has been discussed before...