• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Motorcycles

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
H4871.jpg
Now this is what I like.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Similar to MarkI's post...

I am supposed to be taking a class in june...it was mostly with the intention of just being able to ride but it might be fun to own a bike for a little while.

I would probably be into things that look like Mark's links (also, the old BMW's that I saw all over europe that looked like that) but one of my main concerns would be cheap, easy to work on, with cheap and available parts.

If I bought anything, I would want it to be very inexpensive. I have zero experience actually working on motorcycles but I am very mechanically inclined so I would be OK buying something in need of work and doing repairs myself. I think it should at least be ridable though...I don't know anything so buying something I can't even start seems risky.

What kind of stuff should I be looking at? I'm in chicago so I would be buying something local (no car so it is a benefit if I can actually ride it home...but I could arrange one if something needed to be moved). I imagine my use would mostly be at lower speeds around town (don't need any big acceleration engines...just want to ride around) with the occasional trip up to michigan or something.

Again, keeping it cheap is the main goal, but I understand that a lot of old bikes will probably retain value (especially if I make cosmetic and mechanical repairs) so something that I resell at cost in a year or two would be perfect.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbjorn
2007 or earlier Ninja 250. Omnipresent, $1500, and 100% resale value, effectively.

Looks a little bit too sport bikey for me...also, all of the pictures I see of older model Ninjas involve old fat guys (often with kids)
ninja250.jpg

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Older Honda CB's retain value pretty well, have tons of cheap parts, and are reasonably simple and reliable etc. My buddy bought a '75 CB750, fixed it up a little (2-300 bucks into it and little work), rode it for a couple years, and sold it for a decent profit (800 or so IIRC). It came from a ways out of town so I had to ride it back for him (he didn't have much road experience) and so he saved a fair bit on the price, then sold it in the city for a higher price. It's not the best time of year to try to buy a bike but you can probably still find something decent esp. if you are willing to travel a bit. Try to bring someone who knows bikes and hopefully the type of bike you are looking at.

If your budget is higher, an older BMW R-bike might not be too bad either. You will find much less rust and corroded parts on a BMW than a Honda and parts aren't really too expensive IME. They are also quite a bit simpler to work on. My recs come mostly from what I have owned/worked on, so there are plenty of other good bikes as well.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ooh, thanks J,

I like the CBs (and I like simple, reliable, cheap parts).

Also those old BMW R-series bikes look like the kind of thing I was thinking of (the CBs look that way too)
1973_bmw_r90_6.jpg

I like BMWs in general...I wonder how things like rust work out being in chicago. Obviously a lot of people don't ride in the winter so it doesn't really matter as much as old cars but we still have salty roads and wetness here. Since my classes aren't until june, it will be a whole different season when I look--a quick browse through recent craigslist postings looked pretty weak.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
That's very similar to the bike I started out with and I think it was a great first bike. A little old-man-ish so don't expect it to act as a chick magnet or anything. But very reliable considering its age, and easy and fun to work on for the most part. And they will go hundreds of thousands of miles with proper care.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Washed the 2 inch thick layer of yellow pollen that had settled on these bikes, even while garaged:
P1030720-Version2.jpg
P1030721.jpg

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
^ Looking good there, gnatty.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The pollen in the south is terrible this time of year, covers everything until mid-May, sometimes longer.

Great days for riding bikes though, probably chalked up 400 miles since Saturday.

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got my bike out of storage yesterday. Promptly followed by intermittent flurries today ...
ffffuuuu.gif

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by eg1
Got my bike out of storage yesterday. Promptly followed by intermittent flurries today ...
ffffuuuu.gif

Yikes. Flurries? Are you serious? That sucks man. Probably sucks almost as bad as waiting for the roads to wash clean from all the sand and stuff they use on the roads during winter. Be careful out there!!

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MikeDT
H4871.jpg

Now this is what I like.

There are many things with which I would trust Chinese manufacturing and quality assurance standards for. I must say, a motorcycle is probably not one of these things at the moment.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads