Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Motorcycles

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Tck13, Mar 15, 2006.

1. eg1

eg1 Senior member

Yikes. Flurries? Are you serious? That sucks man. Probably sucks almost as bad as waiting for the roads to wash clean from all the sand and stuff they use on the roads during winter. Be careful out there!!

Indeed -- which means I usually have to wait until May before getting any serious riding in. [​IMG]

2. rocks

rocks Senior member

I am thinking of getting a bike eventually thanks to my spouse who rides, I don't. Anyway, I have decided that the Triumph Triple street R is the bike I shall buy when the time comes, perhaps in another year or so. Do you guys have any experience with this specific model. Also, gnatty8, I have seen your threads about Triumph motorcycles, so can you tell me how maintenance is? I always told myself I would get a beemer bike if I ever do buy one. However, that thought has changed, it seems as though this Triumph is more my kinda motorcycle.

Btw, I hope this bike is not hard too hard to work on, I don't mind getting my hands dirty and don't really take my car to dealerships for service, instead I do what I can handle and the rest is done by Indy shops. My lady rides a Honda CBR600 F4I which is now sold and she is going to get perhaps the 600RR since the F4I is now discontinued.

3. Kookz

Kookz Senior member

Most new bikes require very, very little maintenance. You'll probably need to do nothing more than oil changes and spark plugs for the first 20,000-30,000 miles on that Triumph.

4. bigbjorn

bigbjorn Senior member

With a Street Triple R as a first bike, you'll just need to replace the plastics, tank, and rashed stator or clutch cover every 6,000 miles. Assuming you survive the accident. [​IMG]

5. rocks

rocks Senior member

I won't be street racing man so I should be fine....I'll use it basically for weekend cruising with the spouse. Accidents can happen and cause serious injuries even with a bicycle....

6. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

I am thinking of getting a bike eventually thanks to my spouse who rides, I don't. Anyway, I have decided that the Triumph Triple street R is the bike I shall buy when the time comes, perhaps in another year or so. Do you guys have any experience with this specific model. Also, gnatty8, I have seen your threads about Triumph motorcycles, so can you tell me how maintenance is? I always told myself I would get a beemer bike if I ever do buy one. However, that thought has changed, it seems as though this Triumph is more my kinda motorcycle.

Btw, I hope this bike is not hard too hard to work on, I don't mind getting my hands dirty and don't really take my car to dealerships for service, instead I do what I can handle and the rest is done by Indy shops. My lady rides a Honda CBR600 F4I which is now sold and she is going to get perhaps the 600RR since the F4I is now discontinued.

Most new bikes require very, very little maintenance. You'll probably need to do nothing more than oil changes and spark plugs for the first 20,000-30,000 miles on that Triumph.

Chain will need attention, but that's not much work.. Usually every 800 or 900 miles I will clean it up with a chain cleaner you can buy from any motorcycle shop, and then spray it down again with chain lube. Tension will also need to be monitored and count on having to tighten it from time to time. If you handle most of the maintenance on your cars, then you should not have any trouble at all maintaining a bike. As Kookz says, oil changes (I do mine every 2,500 miles or at least once a year) are gonna be about it. Triumph makes a fine motorcycle. Although my car is a BMW, I never really seriously considered their motorcycles. Purely aesthetics though, as I know they do make a fine, top quality bike.

7. rocks

rocks Senior member

Thanks, sounds good; I also drive a bimmer, E46 that is and do some of the routine stuff like thermostats, expansion tank, window regulators and such thus I should be fine handling the oil changes on the motorcycle myself.

8. NefariousSabatour

NefariousSabatour Senior member

bought this cb750 for $300 to do the dumb faux-cafe thing. should be a fun headache.

[​IMG]

9. pgd3

pgd3 Senior member

CB750 for 300, is a good deal... If it has a title.

Around here they go 700 or so just for that detail, and more like 1250 full running order w/ title.

They really are very good bikes compared to what they were being sold against.

10. NefariousSabatour

yeah it has a title. i replaced the coils (70 bucks) and the plugs and its running fine.

11. otc

otc Senior member

Damn, when I did my cursory look around chicago, I didn't see a CB### for anywhere near those price ranges.

Hopefully in the summer after I take my class, there will be more out there.

12. NefariousSabatour

I knew the guy who was selling it. His old lady was all over him to get rid of it.

Basically I got real lucky.

13. pgd3

pgd3 Senior member

Damn, when I did my cursory look around chicago, I didn't see a CB### for anywhere near those price ranges.

Hopefully in the summer after I take my class, there will be more out there.

That's because Chicago is in IL, and being in IL we need titles.

IL is basically impossible to retitle a bike that doesn't have one. In other states you go down to the local police department, the cop writes on a form that he's seen the serial number and confirms it, then you hit the DMV w/ a bill of sale and they issue you a title.

In IL you cannot do so, actually there is a process, but it costs a pretty penny.

So if you pop on the Chicago Craigslist and find a CB and it has a title and is rideable its going to be expensive. Even a CB350.

Best time to shop is when people decide not to store them in the fall.

14. sonomadrifter

sonomadrifter Active Member

I knew the guy who was selling it. His old lady was all over him to get rid of it.

Basically I got real lucky.

Congrats! The bike looks clean and rust free.

I chopped the tail section off mine last weekend and I'm going to try to make a steel cafe seat like this guy (I hate the video but it was inspiration for building the seat).

If it doesnt work out I'll fiberglass one up.

15. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

gnatty, drove the Yamaha FJR. I know you don't like that style of bike but tons of power across the band, comfy, good seating position, very smooth, nimble enough and enough luggage I could do an overnight or weekender with Mrs. Piob.