• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

wEstSidE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you've only gone halfway there...

customs is way more complicated than that. so much so that businesses usually outsource that stuff to a customs broker.

the sad thing is that most of the duties are on cheap items. for example some made in china $1 shoes will have an astronomically higher duty (by percentage) than a pair of made in england shell cordovans or whatever MC beast on.

don't get me started on MFN.

DeadDJ

Reaction score
Originally Posted by snake
^^ You'd probably get 1000x the interest over on sufu. Really nice jacket though, what size?
2. I'm gonna shut up now as mods probably don't look to kindly to me flipping **** constantly in threads. Tried it on and i'm definitely gonna make a FS thread.

slack tide

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
okay...i was on the edge of my seat while reading's sq's customs post...i admit it. it was kind of thrilling (1).

edit; and i'm glad i wear a sweat pant tuxedo 99.9% of the time and my international orders are coming from our frangly neighbors up north and I don't have to deal with oki-ni. Seriously that sounds like some **** and I'd probably flip. (while ashamedly still pursuing the item I intended to purchase :/...)

snake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good info SQ I didn't know all that. All that **** almost makes me just not want to shop at foreign stores anymore, but that would mean the terrorists have won. Some good news- received my sweats from lncc today. They took the liberty of marking my package down to like $40 so didn't get hit with any fees.
smile.gif

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I noticed that I only get the "item declaration" problems on clothes, shoes usually gets held but released w/o looking for info of the factory it originated from.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma

You'll have to be clearer on McLuhan as I've never read any of his books; extracts and articles here and there but that's it. The discount shoppers of new, easily digestible ideas that are Wired love him which is one strike too many against the old guy.

"Speech was the first technology."

He wrote quite a bit on the relationship between reading v. hearing and dialect in regards to human and cultural identity. At work but can add a bit to that later. Walter J. Ong also wrote extensively on orality, but I haven't read much of anything by him.

Synthese

Darth Millennial
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, SQ - it's less the customs thing that's irritating (although that's incredibly irritating), since that's seemingly not really under the retailer's control, but I do wish that I hadn't had to let them know of the situation myself, and that they hadn't mistakenly "pressed the wrong button." Ah well, perhaps I'll try again after speaking with them.

snake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's with the crochet bracelet that came in my lncc box? Not sure if I'll wear it but nice touch nevertheless.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AR_Six
Diors are here. Everyone says size down but I can just barely button them. Think they'll stretch?

They are supposed to. I sized down twice on my Diors and I swear that thing hasn't stretch a cm.
lol8[1].gif
Still fits me well though.

snake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mine stretched a bit in the waist after some wear but not much, maybe .5-1".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads