• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Contingency Plan
still pissed I slept on the crepe soled yohji boots in B&S

What did they look like? I have a pair of Y's made by Dr. martens that I need out of my house. Riri backzip, crepe sole, and they're a bit bigger than my real size.

Originally Posted by Teger
sq4u i learned today that im a hick from bumfuck virginia. what's it like in the big city of dc? i've never been there.. one day.. i hope. how do you deal with the bright lights and people? welp, back to my tractor.

lmao

Synthese

Darth Millennial
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SuperBobo
^^correct on all points. But I honestly dont get why "philosophy" (in general terms) dabbles in issues which really are possible to address empirically in a sensible manner.

I can't really add anything to this except "wtf"

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Who makes olive/dark green dress shirts? Google is no help. LEC has oxfords but the collar is too small.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
^^correct on all points. But I honestly dont get why "philosophy" (in general terms) dabbles in issues which really are possible to address empirically in a sensible manner.

Mostly historical reasons. You know how certain physics theories precede actual discoveries well philo/perception is kinda like that. I wouldn't say we can discard philo just yet...

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Synthese
I can't really add anything to this except "wtf"

Good for you.

Psychology abandoned introspection as a valid method over a century ago. Just because I can see the stars, I dont make bold statements about astro physics. But perhaps I should?

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mordecai
As did Marshall McLuhan in some sense
Yeah well Derrida's essential contribution to philosophy is pretty much about this, something often misunderstood for some reason I can't quite fathom. You'll have to be clearer on McLuhan as I've never read any of his books; extracts and articles here and there but that's it. The discount shoppers of new, easily digestible ideas that are Wired love him which is one strike too many against the old guy.

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
Mostly historical reasons. You know how certain physics theories precede actual discoveries well philo/perception is kinda like that. I wouldn't say we can discard philo just yet...

I absolutely dont mean that we should, just that areas of research should be more clearly delimitated. But i think issues as epistemology and philosophy of science are extremly important.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Good for you. Psychology abandoned introspection as a valid method over a century ago. Just because I can see the stars, I dont make bold statements about astro physics. But perhaps I should?
Philosophy isn't a scientific or even delimitated method. I guess it is the meta-discipline that comes with being alive. I understand and value discussion points regarding inter-disciplinary studies but placing boundaries will be next to impossible w. philo. I mean you can have socio meets anthropo and w. some debates it works, not so with say philo and socio. To put it another way: Deleuze says philosophy is the art of creating concepts; art operates by affects and sciences by function so they're sorta outside the scope of philosophy. Think of the disciplines of art, sciences and philosophy as mineral, vegetal and animal. Very diff stuff.

Synthese

Darth Millennial
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Ugh. Bought RO trainers from Oki-Ni. Their checkout page, first of all, is not confidence inspiring. Then, after shipping (DHL), the package was stuck in customs for something like 16 days because the retailer didn't include enough information relating to some obscure customs idiocy. So, the package got returned to Oki-Ni. I received no updates from them about any of this, and informed them of the fact that my box was on its way back to the UK - and was able to do this only because I kept tracking the damn package through DHL's ****** interface. In her defense, the lady I spoke to through the whole thing was quite nice, and assured me that as soon as the shoes arrived at Oki-Ni (yesterday), they would immediately be re-shipped to me.

Well, this morning I got an email from Oki-Ni saying that they had accepted my merchandise return and refunded my paypal account. Nice. After speaking with the same apologetic lady, all she could say was that "the wrong button got pushed - can you re-purchase them?" I checked the website, and sure enough, now they say that my size is sold out, I assume since it hasn't been re-processed.

Obviously, none of this is even slightly malicious on the part of the retailer, and smacks more of a series of unfortunate ****-ups; but having ordered from SSense, Yoox, TheCorner, LN-CC, LVA, and even overseas EBay retailers with no delays or inconveniences, the whole thing has come off as unprofessional, unwieldy, and pretty much unpleasant all-around. So, I've let them know that unless they're willing to fix things, whatever that means (I guess, send me the trainers overnight or something), I'm probably going to take my money elsewhere - which is a shame, as Oki-Ni often has things I want.

Has this happened to anyone else?

DeadDJ

Reaction score
Yeah, pretty much certain the UC jacket doesn't fit. If anyone's interested they should holla at me. I had such hopes for you
frown.gif

toothsomesound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
re earlier stuff yeah the idea comes from Derrida, I will poke around McLuhan. Synth interesting stuff, I'll look into it but again sounds like kind of a different direction.

re bobo I dunno, I get that question almost constantly (probably because I live with two natural science majors) and my response is something like this:

Think of philosophy as an attempt to approach problems; it poses questions and from there we cogitate and write and argue and research and go back and revise etc. We're usually not trying to prove things in an experimental way, but are trying to advance or take apart arguments. I would say few philosophers of mind really think they are going to map out perception in any complete way (though a few actually have psych or cog sci backgrounds and many are aware of the on-going research); rather they offer thought experiments and perspectives that inevitably encourage more conversation and questioning. So philosophy is kind of a paradox; it's purported intention is truth but I think it is actually to destabilize and encouraging questioning. That's why philosophy is important IMO. PS there are a number of philosophers of mind (usually analytic) who hilariously say "Guys, we suck at this, ******* let's let the cog sci guys take over".

also I'm sure fuuma has a much better understanding of just how much different disciplines infect one another but remember philosophy tries to examine stuff that we might think of as outside of itself; eg. my roommates hear my say/discuss "philosophy of science" and become outraged. "What the **** does philosophy have to do with science?" lol.

snake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ You'd probably get 1000x the interest over on sufu. Really nice jacket though, what size?

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
frown.gif

Hmm...I got some gats from them for 160 arrived in 3 days they marked low value for me. Sorry to hear this

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ugh. Bought RO trainers from Oki-Ni. Their checkout page, first of all, is not confidence inspiring. Then, after shipping (DHL), the package was stuck in customs for something like 16 days because the retailer didn't include enough information relating to some obscure customs idiocy. So, the package got returned to Oki-Ni. I received no updates from them about any of this, and informed them of the fact that my box was on its way back to the UK - and was able to do this only because I kept tracking the damn package through DHL's ****** interface. In her defense, the lady I spoke to through the whole thing was quite nice, and assured me that as soon as the shoes arrived at Oki-Ni (yesterday), they would immediately be re-shipped to me.

Well, this morning I got an email from Oki-Ni saying that they had accepted my merchandise return and refunded my paypal account. Nice. After speaking with the same apologetic lady, all she could say was that "the wrong button got pushed - can you re-purchase them?" I checked the website, and sure enough, now they say that my size is sold out, I assume since it hasn't been re-processed.

Obviously, none of this is even slightly malicious on the part of the retailer, and smacks more of a series of unfortunate ****-ups; but having ordered from SSense, Yoox, TheCorner, LN-CC, LVA, and even overseas EBay retailers with no delays or inconveniences, the whole thing has come off as unprofessional, unwieldy, and pretty much unpleasant all-around. So, I've let them know that unless they're willing to fix things, whatever that means (I guess, send me the trainers overnight or something), I'm probably going to take my money elsewhere - which is a shame, as Oki-Ni often has things I want.

Has this happened to anyone else?

I haven't ordered from Oki-Ni but this has happened to me where FedEx held my package and was looking for information on who made the item, not the brand or store, but the actual factory that made the item. Then they required me to sign some forms, which required my SS# among other things. I had to call FedEx directly several times to get the item released from customs, took about a week or so of follow ups until I finally received it. A week later, a huge customs fee arrives as the final middle finger.

sq4you

Mid-level baller
Reaction score
Ugh. Bought RO trainers from Oki-Ni. Their checkout page, first of all, is not confidence inspiring. Then, after shipping (DHL), the package was stuck in customs for something like 16 days because the retailer didn't include enough information relating to some obscure customs idiocy. So, the package got returned to Oki-Ni. I received no updates from them about any of this, and informed them of the fact that my box was on its way back to the UK - and was able to do this only because I kept tracking the damn package through DHL's ****** interface. In her defense, the lady I spoke to through the whole thing was quite nice, and assured me that as soon as the shoes arrived at Oki-Ni (yesterday), they would immediately be re-shipped to me. Well, this morning I got an email from Oki-Ni saying that they had accepted my merchandise return and refunded my paypal account. Nice. After speaking with the same apologetic lady, all she could say was that "the wrong button got pushed - can you re-purchase them?" I checked the website, and sure enough, now they say that my size is sold out, I assume since it hasn't been re-processed. Obviously, none of this is even slightly malicious on the part of the retailer, and smacks more of a series of unfortunate ****-ups; but having ordered from SSense, Yoox, TheCorner, LN-CC, LVA, and even overseas EBay retailers with no delays or inconveniences, the whole thing has come off as unprofessional, unwieldy, and pretty much unpleasant all-around. So, I've let them know that unless they're willing to fix things, whatever that means (I guess, send me the trainers overnight or something), I'm probably going to take my money elsewhere - which is a shame, as Oki-Ni often has things I want. Has this happened to anyone else?
United States Border Protection is getting out of control. They have been getting worse and worse since those idiots tried to mail over bombs through a parcel service (fedex or dhl cant remember) from africa. i ordered a pair of Junya pants and MMM cologne from colette in france and the cocksuckers got all hot and bothered about the origin of the pants (japan) and the origin of the perfume (martin margiela's urine). i have also come to discover that the beancounters at DHL and FEDEX (and im guessing UPS) are a bunch of cocksuckers that don't know the difference between a formal entry and an informal entry. On the phone the guy tried to tell me that my order from colette was "commercial" because it was purchased from a store. I linked him to the border protection website that explicitly defines "commercial" as being "for resale" so that the idiot could see he incorrectly processed the package. As a side note, the general rules for getting fucked by US customs are as follows: Personal purchases made online from a foreign country are considered duty-free if their value is below US$200. If their value is 200 - 2000 and for personal use, then they can be processed as an informal entry and will have duties applied to them. if they are over 2000 dollars (or certain product exceptions regardless of value; for example, MtM suits from China which are subject to quota restrictions) then it will require a formal entry. the difference between informal entries and formal entries is basically paper work. in an informal entry, the US Border and customs look at the package/items and their declared values and weights, then use the Harmonized Tariff Schedule to ascertain the amount of duties to apply based on their composition. If you order a pair of new men's wool pants for example, they fall under Chapter 62, subheading 6203.41.18.10 which has a duty of 41.9¢/kg (of the declared weight) + 16.3% (of the declared value). basically a ******* ripoff. long story short, finding your item in this big HTS list is a clusterfuck. so in informal entries they do it for you. in a formal entry you do it yourself. plus in formal entries, the cocksuckers have to have your social security number on file as an added convenience. also of interest, if the item's country of origin (i.e. where it is made not where you copped it) falls within a particular list of countries with which the US has special free trade agreements (hooray for dries van noten stuff being made in Morocco), then the items are basically always duty free. its all a bunch of bullshit designed to keep you from ordering from abroad and they are getting worse about it. probably because of how fucked our economy is + dumb ass terrorists. In your case, the stuff probably got stuck in customs waiting to be processed by a cooltrucker who didn't know how to classify your drapey *********** HTS (they don't have listings for cockbibs). They probably tried to contact the carrier who tried to contact you or the sender (oki-ni) for the details. actually US Border & customs probably didn't even bother to do this. Apparently it hit the deadline (i think 14 days) at which point it simply got sent back. End result: They are all cocksuckers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads