Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lane

Lane Senior member

but will somebody think of the children! government always knows best.

2. wEstSidE

wEstSidE Senior member

you've only gone halfway there...

customs is way more complicated than that. so much so that businesses usually outsource that stuff to a customs broker.

the sad thing is that most of the duties are on cheap items. for example some made in china $1 shoes will have an astronomically higher duty (by percentage) than a pair of made in england shell cordovans or whatever MC beast on.

don't get me started on MFN.

3. DeadDJ

DeadDJ Senior member

^^ You'd probably get 1000x the interest over on sufu. Really nice jacket though, what size?
    2. I'm gonna shut up now as mods probably don't look to kindly to me flipping shit constantly in threads. Tried it on and i'm definitely gonna make a FS thread.

4. slack tide

slack tide Senior member

okay...i was on the edge of my seat while reading's sq's customs post...i admit it. it was kind of thrilling (1).

edit; and i'm glad i wear a sweat pant tuxedo 99.9% of the time and my international orders are coming from our frangly neighbors up north and I don't have to deal with oki-ni. Seriously that sounds like some shit and I'd probably flip. (while ashamedly still pursuing the item I intended to purchase :/...)

5. snake

snake Senior member

Good info SQ I didn't know all that. All that shit almost makes me just not want to shop at foreign stores anymore, but that would mean the terrorists have won. Some good news- received my sweats from lncc today. They took the liberty of marking my package down to like $40 so didn't get hit with any fees. [​IMG]

6. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

I noticed that I only get the "item declaration" problems on clothes, shoes usually gets held but released w/o looking for info of the factory it originated from.

7. mordecai

mordecai Immoderator

You'll have to be clearer on McLuhan as I've never read any of his books; extracts and articles here and there but that's it. The discount shoppers of new, easily digestible ideas that are Wired love him which is one strike too many against the old guy.

"Speech was the first technology."

He wrote quite a bit on the relationship between reading v. hearing and dialect in regards to human and cultural identity. At work but can add a bit to that later. Walter J. Ong also wrote extensively on orality, but I haven't read much of anything by him.

8. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial Dubiously Honored

Thanks for the info, SQ - it's less the customs thing that's irritating (although that's incredibly irritating), since that's seemingly not really under the retailer's control, but I do wish that I hadn't had to let them know of the situation myself, and that they hadn't mistakenly "pressed the wrong button." Ah well, perhaps I'll try again after speaking with them.

9. snake

snake Senior member

What's with the crochet bracelet that came in my lncc box? Not sure if I'll wear it but nice touch nevertheless.

10. AR_Six

AR_Six "Sookie!"

Diors are here. Everyone says size down but I can just barely button them. Think they'll stretch?

11. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Diors are here. Everyone says size down but I can just barely button them. Think they'll stretch?

They are supposed to. I sized down twice on my Diors and I swear that thing hasn't stretch a cm. [​IMG] Still fits me well though.

12. snake

snake Senior member

Mine stretched a bit in the waist after some wear but not much, maybe .5-1".

13. pfurey

pfurey Senior member

how to classify your drapey shit in the HTS (they don't have listings for cockbibs).

NEXT LEVEL

14. mordecai

mordecai Immoderator

None of mine have.

15. AR_Six

AR_Six "Sookie!"

That's disappointing. The denim is super light so I thought they might just. I'll re-evaluate later and decide whether to sell.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.