Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DeadDJ

DeadDJ Senior member

Scott: a few things just felt wrong. I dunno, I really just need to try it on when I'm not wearing dress pants properly at the waist and crappy button down.

2. ryannn

ryannn Senior member

Received the Undercover knit sleeve perfecto in the mail. Grail obtained. I had a second to try it on before running back to work.

Probably doesn't fit. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Hopefully it was just a quick assessment and it looked awkward with the work stuff I had on but it's unlikely. Fucking hell.

O o o o o

3. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

@ARW: I dunno if I can help much, but if you're looking for stuff on perception other than what Fuumski has mentioned here maybe look at Merleau-Ponty or something. For more psych-oriented view of perception James Gibson has some really neat shit, but that might be less useful.

Merleau-Ponty and Levinas both talk about perception but it'S mainly seeing and especially feeling (Levinas).

4. MarkI

MarkI Senior member

Received the Undercover knit sleeve perfecto in the mail. Grail obtained. I had a second to try it on before running back to work.

Probably doesn't fit. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Hopefully it was just a quick assessment and it looked awkward with the work stuff I had on but it's unlikely. Fucking hell.

Want pictures anyway

5. kwoyeu

kwoyeu Senior member

there's a entry on auditory perception in the stanford encyclopedia of philosophy actually but it's only helpful if your're comfortable w/ the analytic (as opposed to Continental) style of doing philosophy.

6. vthustle

vthustle Senior member

if you google vcu locker team video or something it's literally the team shouting "SWAG" over and over before a game

Love it. Most of my best friends from high school ended up at VCU and they are going out of their minds right now. Saw some pictures of Broad Street after the Kansas game, looked insane. I'm pretty sure I looked like a complete idiot driving on I-81 listening to that game too.

7. ghostface

ghostface Senior member

there's a entry on auditory perception in the stanford encyclopedia of philosophy actually but it's only helpful if your're comfortable w/ the analytic (as opposed to Continental) style of doing philosophy.

yes, this is where you should start, both for the helpful overview and for the normally extensive bibliography. the sep also has an entry on 'sounds': http://plato.stanford.edu/archives/s...ntries/sounds/

8. AR_Six

AR_Six "Sookie!"

Yet another thing I want on yahoo japan auctions... why must it mock me so.

9. toothsomesound

toothsomesound Senior member

Can't think of anything outside zen at the moment and that stuff requires a lot of background and change in perspective, I dipped my toes a few times and it wasn't exactly easy.

You have to understand that starting with Plato (think cavern) western philosophy has been mainly concerned with "seeing" and "the gaze". This is an off the cuff answer so I'll check.

There is a wide range of writing about music w. the usual suspects though plato, aristote, Kant Schopenhauer, Nietzsche but also Deleuze on movies etc. Still seeing and spatiality reigns supreme (Deleuze being by far the most interesting on this IMHO).

Check of this has been translated:
    http://www.amazon.fr/Lou%C3%AFe-Scho...1420838&sr=8-1

Merleau-Ponty and Levinas both talk about perception but it'S mainly seeing and especially feeling (Levinas).

yes, this is where you should start, both for the helpful overview and for the normally extensive bibliography. the sep also has an entry on 'sounds': http://plato.stanford.edu/archives/s...ntries/sounds/

Thanks a lot guys.

re Fuuma, yeah the only things I could think of were Buddhist and Hindu stuff, don't want to go in that direction. I will look into the Schop.

AFI, Fuuma is correct so far as I know, MP is all about the eye and seeing, Levinas is about feeling.

What I'm concerned with actually is the privileging of speech over writing that I think begins with Socrates/Plato (though perhaps earlier ancient Greek) and it's relationship to the supremacy of the visual over the auditory in art, and lastly I suppose the way in which these currents have infected not only one another but also literature/poetry where they have been echoed but also sometimes overturned or subverted. I am simultaneously working on sound and video art, the thesis will be tied to a series I am working...

Thanks for the Stanford recs kwoyeu, ghostface. Actually I took an analytic seminar last semester so hopefully I'll be alright, though we'll see how this fits in with what I'm thinking

10. Fuuma

Thanks a lot guys. re Fuuma, yeah the only things I could think of were Buddhist and Hindu stuff, don't want to go in that direction. I will look into the Schop. AFI, Fuuma is correct so far as I know, MP is all about the eye and seeing, Levinas is about feeling. What I'm concerned with actually is the privileging of speech over writing that I think begins with Socrates/Plato (though perhaps earlier ancient Greek) and it's relationship to the supremacy of the visual over the auditory in art, and lastly I suppose the way in which these currents have infected not only one another but also literature/poetry where they have been echoed but also sometimes overturned or subverted. I am simultaneously working on sound and video art, the thesis will be tied to a series I am working... Thanks for the Stanford recs kwoyeu, ghostface. Actually I took an analytic seminar last semester so hopefully I'll be alright, though we'll see how this fits in with what I'm thinking
    Derrida discussed this, search for logocentrism or even better read "Of grammatology" his most famous work. Wait you probably already know this which is why you're tackling this subject. Ah well...

11. Superb0bo

Superb0bo Senior member

It always baffles me that philosophy (especially the deliberatly obscure continental version) speculates about issues such as perception, which so obivously is an empirical issue,better left to psychology and neuroscience. Of course the question of "percept" and phenomenology is valid (to some degree), but for instance that Stanford link on auditory perception just reads as "introduction to perception psychology", sans the rigorous experimentation.

12. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial Dubiously Honored

Thanks a lot guys.

re Fuuma, yeah the only things I could think of were Buddhist and Hindu stuff, don't want to go in that direction. I will look into the Schop.

AFI, Fuuma is correct so far as I know, MP is all about the eye and seeing, Levinas is about feeling.

What I'm concerned with actually is the privileging of speech over writing that I think begins with Socrates/Plato (though perhaps earlier ancient Greek) and it's relationship to the supremacy of the visual over the auditory in art, and lastly I suppose the way in which these currents have infected not only one another but also literature/poetry where they have been echoed but also sometimes overturned or subverted. I am simultaneously working on sound and video art, the thesis will be tied to a series I am working...

Thanks for the Stanford recs kwoyeu, ghostface. Actually I took an analytic seminar last semester so hopefully I'll be alright, though we'll see how this fits in with what I'm thinking

Dude, you'd probably be interested in colonial carribean/ franco-african theory and trauma theory - not exactly abut hearing, but the focus on story-telling could help you out. Most of it's about the experience of the other, colonial trauma, etc.; but a lot of it is very interesting. Holocaust trauma often focuses on story-telling as well. Additionally, you might read Spivak's "Can the subaltern speak" if you haven't yet as a bit of a starting point, as well as the associated theory.

13. Fuuma

It always baffles me that philosophy (especially the deliberatly obscure continental version) speculates about issues such as perception, which so obivously is an empirical issue,better left to psychology and neuroscience. Of course the question of "percept" and phenomenology is valid (to some degree), but for instance that Stanford link on auditory perception just reads as "introduction to perception psychology", sans the rigorous experimentation.

I'll take a few guesses:

1) you study/teach psych or socio
    2) you don't know much about continental philosophy, which is deliberately obscure inasmuch as it doesn't separate form from content which confuses some people trained to see things using that binary conception.
    3) You're attacking analytical philosophy not "continental" philosophy. Have a go at it I don't like that stuff either.

14. Superb0bo

Superb0bo Senior member

^^correct on all points. But I honestly dont get why "philosophy" (in general terms) dabbles in issues which really are possible to address empirically in a sensible manner.

15. mordecai

mordecai Immoderator

Derrida discussed this, .
    As did Marshall McLuhan in some sense

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.