• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to wear a Bowtie Casually?

Romanime

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jexxen
Haha I wish I could pull off the bowtie. Must say I would have never considered one before I saw this thread.

Haha, I'm glad this thread planted the idea in someones head that wearing a bow tie is kinda cool. I'm only 90% sure I can pull it off, but I know how to act like I'm 100% sure which like someone said is a very important part of wearing a bow tie. Your going to get attention by wearing it, so you have to be prepared to deal with that attention, plus it's a good conversation starter.

I just have to figure out a couple more ways to incorporate it into my ensembles, which is why I was so intrigued by that guy pulling off a bow tie with a hoodie that I was talking about on the last page.

Ok I found the picture I think I was talking about, what is it that's making this work, and how can I make it work, but (no offense) a bit less flamboyant.

vjjbhkbhk.jpg

Peak and Pine

Reaction score
Perhaps you're too young to appreciate the phrase Boy George, whatever, suggest you don't do what you just posted.

Romanime

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Peak and Pine
Perhaps you're too young to appreciate the phrase Boy George, whatever, suggest you don't do what you just posted.

What do you mean don't do what I just posted? And your right not getting the Boy George thing. I mean it's not that I have a problem with that the dude is wearing but it wouldn't work on me I have a much bigger build, lot wider should shoulders. But I like the actual pieces of clothing that he put together and want to figure out a way to make it work for me.

barims

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've a bigger build than that fellow also, so what I would personally do, Romanime, is swap out the skinnies for bootcut or wide leg trousers ala Burberry Prorsum and Yves Saint Laurent Burberry P's Fall 2008 collection is my personal apex - imagine such looks with bow ties; very youthful stuff, really:
00050m.jpg
00090m.jpg
00100m.jpg
00430m.jpg
00280m.jpg
00380m.jpg
Generally, I'd tuck my shirt in

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
I wear mine with slim jeans and longwings, sleeves rolled up...sometimes witha cardigan. Also, i have a nice rust colored paisley that I wear with a chambray shirt too.

Peak and Pine

Reaction score
Originally Posted by barims

Burberry P's Fall 2008 collection is my personal apex - imagine such looks with bow ties.

00050m.jpg

00090m.jpg

Your personal apex is Night Of The Living Dead?
(What is a personal apex anyway?)
Roman (the OP), you're in high school, right? Hallways lined with lockers, not runways lined with lockers, right? Don't go too crazy. The chambray shirt thing Derek mentions above, try just that and the b'tie, for starters.

Quixote

Reaction score
Hey my friends and I do Blazer Fridays at our school, but Bowtie Monday sounds like a good idea.

Can you wear Bowties with v or crew-neck sweaters?

Romanime

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Quixote
Hey my friends and I do Blazer Fridays at our school, but Bowtie Monday sounds like a good idea.

Can you wear Bowties with v or crew-neck sweaters?

Haha I'd love for other people to start doing Bowtie Monday. And yeah you can wear it like that, looks better with V-neck than Crew neck though. That picture of Chuck Bass is Winning, I'd probably roll-up the sleeves, and change the pants to tan or blue skinny jeans to make it a bit more casual though.

And this is a weird coincidence but I've been reading Don Quixote for like the last month(there was a time when I would have finished quicker, but I don't really have time for reading anymore)

doctordapper

Reaction score
Love the idea of Bow-Tie mondays. Every time I wear one (I only have a few) I get a lot of compliments. I agree with a comment from earlier in the thread that the your attitude plays a big role into to overall appearance. When I wear one I also find myself enjoying the thought of reviving a nostalgic style. Where is a good go-to place for bow-ties.

Romanime

Reaction score
Originally Posted by doctordapper
Love the idea of Bow-Tie mondays. Every time I wear one (I only have a few) I get a lot of compliments. I agree with a comment from earlier in the thread that the your attitude plays a big role into to overall appearance. When I wear one I also find myself enjoying the thought of reviving a nostalgic style. Where is a good go-to place for bow-ties.

I'm actually curious about some good places to get bow ties to, I picked up 3 at Macy's this weekend to start off my collection, but they didn't have a very good selection, and if they weren't on sale they would have been pretty overpriced at $40 because they didn't even seem like the best quality.

Sites that I've found while browsing the internet and this forum that seem to have gotten positive reviews are http://luminacc.com/products-page/bowties and http://mainebows.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc? but I'd still like to know some other places.

Quixote

Reaction score
Ha gotta love Don Quixote --insert Wind-Mill Here--

Thanks for the tips I'll have to get some Bowties and start wearing them asap, Bowtie Monday sounds great

Smashing picture by the way, love the vest and the tie

Romanime

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Quixote
Ha gotta love Don Quixote --insert Wind-Mill Here--

Thanks for the tips I'll have to get some Bowties and start wearing them asap, Bowtie Monday sounds great

Smashing picture by the way, love the vest and the tie

Haha even if this thread is long dead by then put up pics of your first attempts at pulling it off.
I'm wearing a bowtie to school tomorrow as a sort of test run (dont have enough bowties or ideas to put Bowtie Monday in to affect yet)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads