1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

How to wear a Bowtie Casually?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Romanime, Mar 13, 2011.

1. either/or

either/or Senior member

Like the top not really feeling the pants though, they're a strange color.
    Shirt-pants look like a perfect color harmony to me (according to the natural color system). -Then again, I'm still working on these things.

2. Quixote

Quixote Well-Known Member

Haha even if this thread is long dead by then put up pics of your first attempts at pulling it off. I'm wearing a bowtie to school tomorrow as a sort of test run (dont have enough bowties or ideas to put Bowtie Monday in to affect yet)
    Ok will have to do that, no bowties yet though so I'm off in a regular tie and sweater vest.

3. Peak and Pine

Peak and Pine Senior member

Like the top not really feeling the pants though...

Good, you don't wanna ever feel another guy's pants. So, let's get a pic up here of you in this bow tie get-up. Have mentioned this around the office and Mary and Roxanne are all huddled around the screen here, waiting.

4. either/or

either/or Senior member

hmmm, maybe the other way around?

...just a quicky, playing w. colours... [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Sazerac

Sazerac Senior member

The pants are what makes the look possible, IMO.

6. IrateCustomer

IrateCustomer Senior member

I think this is a good option for casual with a bow tie. I also believe most of the elements of this look can be achieved on a budget. [​IMG]

7. acridsheep

acridsheep Senior member

Grazing on the carcasses of less senior members
    "Men who wear bow ties care more about themselves than they do about you." From: The Atlantic

8. Complacency Kills

Complacency Kills Member

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2012
  9. barims

barims Senior member

...just a quicky, playing w. colours... [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [/quote]

I think I have all the pieces for that look

10. Romanime

Romanime Active Member

The color's definitely mesh well, and look good on him, I was saying that personally I dont think I would wear pants that color.

Wore a bowtie to school today, got lots of compliments, but now I'm not so sure that I have the energy needed to pull it off, I mean you get A LOT of compliments and it's hard to be funny and witty and repeatedly have to answer to why you are so dressed up all day.

I took a pictures towards the very end of the day, so my skin was looking a bit oily (not sure why but it just sorta happens in the afternoon) looks worse in the picture then in real life cause of flash , but I think the outfit worked together. I'll put the pictures up later tonight or tomorrow but what I put together was a lightish blue dress shirt, with light grey cardigan, skinny jeans, converse, and a mainly red with some blue pladish pattern bowtie.

11. barims

barims Senior member

^ That sounds like a good start

12. Peak and Pine

Roxanne and Mary are turned off by that greasy face thing, so they've gone home.

13. Quixote

Quixote Well-Known Member

The color's definitely mesh well, and look good on him, I was saying that personally I dont think I would wear pants that color.

Wore a bowtie to school today, got lots of compliments, but now I'm not so sure that I have the energy needed to pull it off, I mean you get A LOT of compliments and it's hard to be funny and witty and repeatedly have to answer to why you are so dressed up all day.

I took a pictures towards the very end of the day, so my skin was looking a bit oily (not sure why but it just sorta happens in the afternoon) looks worse in the picture then in real life cause of flash , but I think the outfit worked together. I'll put the pictures up later tonight or tomorrow but what I put together was a lightish blue dress shirt, with light grey cardigan, skinny jeans, converse, and a mainly red with some blue pladish pattern bowtie.

Don't worry the questions about why you are dressing up will end when they see you do it every week (or everyday!) Also the questions about your tux, when in fact you are wearing grey herringbone, will end as well. Of course if you like people asking you about your clothing choices and respond pleasently I'm sure you could prolong them, I'm sure the compliments were justified though!

14. Romanime

Romanime Active Member

Here are the pictures I promised, to tired to crop them, but I think you can tell which one is me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Like I said by the end of the day my face wasn't looking so good, and the flash wasnt helping, but I think the outfit works.
    And the braces I just got aren't helping me want to smile for the camera. Complete coincidence that it was my little brothers birthday, didn't even remember till after I was dressed, but I think my mom was happy I was dressed nice.

15. Peak and Pine

Nice. Really nice. Get the tie up higher though, top o' tie even with top o' collar. All in all: you did it well. Swell looking family too.

16. Romanime

Romanime Active Member

Nice. Really nice. Get the tie up higher though, top o' tie even with top o' collar. All in all: you did it well. Swell looking family too.

Haha thanks, I'm not always certain to trust everything you say, you seem to enjoy the occasional troll, but the tie thing makes sense, and I did have a bit of trouble learning to tie it (plus I'm not really sure what my neck size is so I kinda just guessed)

17. Aaron01

Aaron01 Senior member

The knot looks loose on the tie, and I agree about that it should be up higher, there's quite a bit of gap between the tie and the collar. Take notice of the other pics in the thread. All in all, a good start [​IMG]

18. Superfluous

Superfluous Senior member

I didn't read the thread, but I find bowties a little bit silly. That is all.

19. either/or

either/or Senior member

I didn't read the thread, but I find bowties a little bit silly. That is all.

You make it sound like a bad thing. [​IMG]

20. Peak and Pine

Haha thanks, I'm not always certain to trust everything you say, you seem to enjoy the occasional troll, but the tie thing makes sense, and I did have a bit of trouble learning to tie it (plus I'm not really sure what my neck size is so I kinda just guessed)

Hey, I've been with you since the beginning on this. This thread has become my life. I kid not when I say it looks good. But if you're looking for troll, check out the guy above who didn't read the thread but decided to weigh in with something ignorant anyway.