How to wear a Bowtie Casually?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Romanime, Mar 13, 2011.

1. Romanime

Romanime Active Member

We're still wondering. Just a bunch of code posted. Do you get a picture when you hit preview? (Always hit preview before submit.)

Hmm that's weird I see both of the pictures now.

2. Romanime

Romanime Active Member

Okay, we're getting it now. So that's you? Like now, or when you were in Saturday Night Fever?

Haha it's me about a month ago, was in a musical.

Eh accidently double posted, not many forums where that's allowed.

Oh and I just successfully tied a bow tie for the first time in my life (after many attempts and a dozen youtube videos), and it looked really good but the bow was a bit lose and it was really tight around the neck (Wasnt actually wearing a collared shirt though) does that mean I did something wrong or that I need to adjust the neck size, incase it matters I used this video

3. butterflystyle

butterflystyle Senior member

You must just REALLY want to take a beating before you leave HS?

4. mic

mic Senior member

You and the girl are cute together.
    I think you have the face to rock the bow tie. You'll get the technique figured out. It's as easy as knotting a regular tie after a little practice.

I like 3-button jackets with bow ties. Depending on the cut, a 2-button jacket can have a lot of shirt showing below the tie, and look "tuxedo-like" in a bad way.

Have fun. I usually just wear them on "fun" occasions like weddings and parties, but I ALWAYS get a lot of compliments when I do. Women tend to chat me up: "oh my gosh, is that a REAL bow tie?" and so on...

5. mic

mic Senior member

Good for him. It's not everyone that's got a pair, you know.

6. alexanduh

alexanduh Senior member

haha i hope he has a moderate athletic build. cant look good without looking healthy.

or take a beating.

7. Trompe le Monde

Trompe le Monde Senior member

he dont take no jive

[​IMG]

my suspicions are that you do

8. mic

mic Senior member

my suspicions are that you do

He's just a kid. Sheesh. Be nice[​IMG].

9. butterflystyle

butterflystyle Senior member

haha i hope he has a moderate athletic build. cant look good without looking healthy.

or take a beating.

You missed his picture. He is going to look like he's wearing a costume.

I LOVE bowties, they are all I wear - but I also have a 16.5" neck, so I dont look like I just came to do your taxes, or indoctrinate you into the young republicans.

If the kid wears the bowtie with that vest...oh lawd.

Here is how to CASUALLY rock a bowtie:

[​IMG]

Here is how NOT to:

[​IMG]

You only get ONE accessory. More than one and you look like a clown.

10. barims

barims Senior member

^ There's something of the accountant about your first picture - there's nothing particularly youthful about the shirt, which is what the OP would require to offset any fuddyness. In the Doctor Who photograph I posted, for example, the Doctor is wearing a subtly quirky print shirt from Paul Smith, which is also perfect for a mildly eccentric high schooler. Such a tonal colour look - all shades of blue, aside from the tweed - also makes it interesting

LabelKing posted a skinny Dior denim/rolled shirt sleeves/bow tie ensemble around two summers ago. I think it's in the SW&D WAYWT archives

Romanime, also think about coats. In my blogcolumn's article, the Lanvin model and I are both wearing cropped trenches that result in a more relaxed silhouette than a sportcoat would deliver

11. Peak and Pine

Peak and Pine Senior member

Kid, beware of those who still use rock as a verb and those who actually tell you what to do as opposed to suggest. The belolw post combines both, besides showing a guy with a gut and no belt. Stay away. Oops, just told you what to do. May I sugest you stay away. The second pic though, for a young guy, you maybe, but with a little less going on, is more than just okay and may make some of us wish we were as young as you.

Here is how to CASUALLY rock a bowtie:

[​IMG]

Here is how NOT to:

[​IMG]

You only get ONE accessory. More than one and you look like a clown.

12. UrbanAesthetics

UrbanAesthetics Senior member

First and foremost, much respect to you for finding the true man of style that was within you. An accomplishment most men never face. The trick is to keep everything else within your outfit neutral and classic to not distract the viewers from the Bow Tie. Your already making a huge statement by wearing one! If the rest of your outfit includes casual items, then it'll only add to your stylish agenda. Check my post on the Bow Tie! Hope this helped Bro.. http://urbanaesthetics.tumblr.com/

13. Romanime

Romanime Active Member

Thanks for the all the help guys, you cant really see it but almost everypost is being taken into consideration. I'm planning to wear my first bowtie outfit on Wednesday...if I can figure out how to tie a bow tie by then, this is actually the most frustrating experience of my life.

14. Romanime

Romanime Active Member

Also I saw this picture somewhere when I first started looking into bow ties where this guy was wearing a hoodie with a button up dress shirt rolled up sleeves, jeans, converse, and a bowtie. And I was wondering how would I make this work, now I am actually asking for a bit more detail because there has to be something I'm not getting thats making this come together because if I threw a hoodie on over a dress shirt and a bow tie it would look super sloppy. So tips on how this outfit would come together?

15. Jexxen

Jexxen New Member

Haha I wish I could pull off the bowtie. Must say I would have never considered one before I saw this thread.