• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

GiltEdge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PaoloM
What Creed fragrance is always being sprayed at Bergdorfs, and introduced as "their best selling fragrance"

No one has ever been to BG here huh?
blush.gif

pstoller

Reaction score
No one has ever been to BG here huh?

No, we're just adept at ducking the fragrance sprayers. I'd say Green Irish Tweed, but it's only a guess; it could be Silver Mountain.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by runner-guy
You can easily find Allen Edmonds shoes for considerably less than $325. Look on the B&S forum and eBay for new and gently used AE shoes. Some people dread the thought of wearing gently used shoes, but I think buying a shoe that has been worn only a few times is fine. I have purchased AE shoes on eBay in near new condition for $100 and less. Allen Edmonds is good because they offer recrafting service where you can have the soles and uppers replaced for $100. If you are still looking for a step-down shoe, you could try the Florsheim Imperial line. I would stay away from Johnston & Murphy.

IIRC, Johnston & Murphy's Aristocraft line is made in the USA and comparable to Allen Edmonds.

Pieceofsand

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I want to buy a pair of boat shoes for the spring/summer. Basically to wear it very casually(no socks with pants). My idea is to pick a versatile color that are easy to wear, what do you guys suggest?

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
What Creed fragrance is always being sprayed at Bergdorfs, and introduced as "their best selling fragrance"

Green Irish Tweed is Creed's one big-seller with instant name-recognition and fairly universal popularity. If they're not spraying GIT, then they're probably not doing their job properly.

IrateCustomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by runner-guy
You can easily find Allen Edmonds shoes for considerably less than $325. Look on the B&S forum and eBay for new and gently used AE shoes. Some people dread the thought of wearing gently used shoes, but I think buying a shoe that has been worn only a few times is fine. I have purchased AE shoes on eBay in near new condition for $100 and less. Allen Edmonds is good because they offer recrafting service where you can have the soles and uppers replaced for $100. If you are still looking for a step-down shoe, you could try the Florsheim Imperial line. I would stay away from Johnston & Murphy.

Why stay away from Johnston and Murphy? I find them very comfortable, but admittedly I haven't gotten into some of the nicer brands yet. Grenson, AE, and Alden are all on my list. But until then I've been eyeballing some more Johnston and Murphy shoes.

Yika

Reaction score
I was wondering about the no-break on pants. When you start walking around, do your socks start showing?

GTI388

Reaction score
Recently purchased 2 double breasted blazers. Never really cared for double breasted jackets, but thought I give it a try. What is the best way to wear them, any particular details I need to be aware of? (i.e they should always be buttoned, or can be worn open.....khakis, jeans?)

Note, i'm about 5'8 and 165lbs. Thanks in advance!

Staggerlee

Reaction score
I've got another super noob question for you guys.
Basically, I'd like to start wearing sports coats more and don't have the foggiest idea of how to do it.
I've done lots of googling and it just confuses and overwhelms me. I was hoping you guys could point me in the right direction for figuring this info out. My goals are the following:
1) Wear a sport coat with Khaki's and polo's or button down shirts
2) Wear a sport coat with tailored wool pants and button down shirt (I have fitted shirts)
3) Wear a sport coat with jeans occasionally (not as important as first two goals)

Also, I'm going to get fitted for a new one later this month (Hemranjani) and have been overwhelmed by the options. I know there's a lot of subjectivity to this but I was hoping someone could point me to some guidelines for what fabric/ # of buttons/ etc... I should select.

Thanks!

UncleCozy

Reaction score
19 year old student - should I bid on a dark navy blue Corneliani DB 70/30 wool/mohair, which is a tad bit small in the waist? I don't know if there's fabric to let out (should be), but I intend on losing a few pounds when the snow comes off the ground. It's at 16$ now, 25 minutes left. Quick answers!
tongue.gif

wEstSidE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what do you have to lose, for $16?

i missed the student part - bro that's like 30 ramen meals.

UncleCozy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wEstSidE
what do you have to lose, for $16?

i missed the student part - bro that's like 30 ramen meals.

Went up to 40 bucks in the end with shipping! Still a steal though..

Saving up for a trip to London with the missus in may, so every little bit matters!

UncleCozy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wEstSidE
you're married in college? 99 problems...

Slang on my part, I'm no hillbilly!
wink.gif
High school! Dentist school this fall though!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads