1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Knisse

Knisse Senior Member

Good lord yak yak yak
    I do not know if the tragic thing is me responding to your pointless crap or you wasting your time in the beginning.

2. mikleinad1

mikleinad1 Member

I have a pair of board shorts that I really like but I've slimmed down a little over the past year. They fit a little loose on me, and I'm wondering if it is at all possible to tailor board shorts. Opinions?

3. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

I do not know if the tragic thing is me responding to your pointless crap or you wasting your time in the beginning.

luv you too bro chillax [​IMG]

4. centsofstyle

centsofstyle Member

I was wondering if anyone could help me with my predicament. I went to the tailor to get my shirts tapered a bit. I asked him to taper them so they would not look as baggy. He asked me to stand up straight. He pinned the shirt down the sides and asked me if I was comfortable. Then I took the shirt off and gave it to him.

I got my shirt back and now it fits perfectly when I am standing up; however, due to my belly I am unable to sit down comfortably. The shirts buttons are straining and the placket is mostly open and almost exposing my belly. It fits really tight and is applies a lot of pressure to my stomach. My impression when I took the shirt to the tailor was that he would account for the amount needed to sit down comfortably. Was this presumption wrong? Should I have thought about this or is it my tailors responsibility?

I know that when someone makes a shirt he takes into account the amount of room needed for when sitting down. I thought that this would be the same scenario. Am I mistaken?

Thanks!

5. shanks59

shanks59 Senior Member

I'm after a grey V-neck knit, reasonably heavyweight, but not thick. Suggestions gratefully accepted

6. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

I was wondering if anyone could help me with my predicament. I went to the tailor to get my shirts tapered a bit. I asked him to taper them so they would not look as baggy. He asked me to stand up straight. He pinned the shirt down the sides and asked me if I was comfortable. Then I took the shirt off and gave it to him.

I got my shirt back and now it fits perfectly when I am standing up; however, due to my belly I am unable to sit down comfortably. The shirts buttons are straining and the placket is mostly open and almost exposing my belly. It fits really tight and is applies a lot of pressure to my stomach. My impression when I took the shirt to the tailor was that he would account for the amount needed to sit down comfortably. Was this presumption wrong? Should I have thought about this or is it my tailors responsibility?

I know that when someone makes a shirt he takes into account the amount of room needed for when sitting down. I thought that this would be the same scenario. Am I mistaken?

Thanks!

tailoring and manufacturing are very different. when the shirt is manufactured they are basing it off whatever "mold" so to speak they decided on for that shirt. the tailor is now adjusting that. if he simply snipped the sides and closed it up while he may have succeded in tapering he now created a new problem he did not compensate for. this is very common in tailoring if not expertly done. think taking in a jacket back and not considering how it will affect the vents, or a trouser waist/seat adjutment. changing a rtw garment is not always so simple

7. asdf

asdf Senior Member

If i'm a 42L in Hickey Freeman Madison-cut, what size am I in Brooks' Regent?

Further info: 44L in most RL cuts

8. svd

svd Senior Member

Thanks for the replies.

I love the Allen-Edmonds and the Crockett and Jones but can you guys tell me what's a brand that's just one step down from Allen-Edmond? I don't know if I want to spend $325 on a pair of shoes just yet.

Consider the B&S section here, or ebay - you can find brand new A&Es at reduced prices.

A step down would be Johnston & Murphy.

9. runner-guy

runner-guy Distinguished Member

Thanks for the replies.

I love the Allen-Edmonds and the Crockett and Jones but can you guys tell me what's a brand that's just one step down from Allen-Edmond? I don't know if I want to spend $325 on a pair of shoes just yet.

You can easily find Allen Edmonds shoes for considerably less than $325. Look on the B&S forum and eBay for new and gently used AE shoes. Some people dread the thought of wearing gently used shoes, but I think buying a shoe that has been worn only a few times is fine. I have purchased AE shoes on eBay in near new condition for $100 and less. Allen Edmonds is good because they offer recrafting service where you can have the soles and uppers replaced for $100. If you are still looking for a step-down shoe, you could try the Florsheim Imperial line. I would stay away from Johnston & Murphy.

10. CousinDonuts

CousinDonuts Distinguished Member

Is it possible to convert a 3-button suit to a 3-roll-2 button suit?

You can try to re-jigger the role with steaming and ironing, but the lapels are set a certain way and there is only so much you can typically do. good luck.

11. porcelain monkey

porcelain monkey Distinguished Member

If i'm a 42L in Hickey Freeman Madison-cut, what size am I in Brooks' Regent?

Further info: 44L in most RL cuts

You are almost certainly 42L. I am the same - 42L in just about everything but RLBL where I am a 44L. Polo seems to fall in between in some cuts. I bought a 44L jacket on pretty deep discount that fit well in the shoulders, but the body needed some tailoring to make it look right.

12. asdf

asdf Senior Member

You are almost certainly 42L. I am the same - 42L in just about everything but RLBL where I am a 44L. Polo seems to fall in between in some cuts. I bought a 44L jacket on pretty deep discount that fit well in the shoulders, but the body needed some tailoring to make it look right.

Thanks, this was my suspicion.

13. ebmk3891

ebmk3891 Senior Member

I'm 5'10" and currently looking at a trench coat on eBay. It says it's 44" long. I'm at work and can't seem to really find any guidelines online for proper length. Will this jacket be too long for me?

14. tesuquegolfer

tesuquegolfer Senior Member

Upload it to photobucket.com, and use the link they provide.

Thanks so much, I am now a posting fool, instead of just a fool!

[​IMG]

15. wEstSidE

wEstSidE Distinguished Member

hey guys, I just bought my first pair of truly nice shoes: Allen Edmond Malverns in dark brown with dainite sole. I purchased them on sale (of course) for $167.53 including taxes That being said, they are a little shopworn, from being tried on or whatever. The same shop has a pair of Alden all weather walkers in tan scotch grain. Cost of those is $200 before taxes. Crepe with leather sole. They are truly beautiful in their construction, but kind of "clunky." Even though they're boots, the AEs are sleeker. Here are some pics of the AEs [​IMG] [​IMG] I don't have pics of the Alden's, but they are this model: http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=79KC in a lighter color. BTW, I am not choosing based on color, just style/quality if that makes a difference. Also, if this is a good deal for someone out there I would be happy to proxy.