• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Being broke sucks.

ClambakeSkate

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mehhhh
or going back to school for music to be a producer/engineer.

I wouldn't recommend this... My brother is an engineers and he's having a hell of a time staying employed. Everyone has recording studios at home (computers) and there's very little money in recorded music sales as it is.

mehhhh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ClambakeSkate
I wouldn't recommend this... My brother is an engineers and he's having a hell of a time staying employed. Everyone has recording studios at home (computers) and there's very little money in recorded music sales as it is.

This is a very valid point. I do think producers will always be useful though, and that can be lucrative. We'll just see how it shakes out, this is all down the road.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
just become a Sith Lord like me. you get free food and clothes.

but the clothes are all black. and usually some spandex/leather material with a cape over it.

It's nice not to have to worry about armholes being too low.
teacha.gif

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You'll get over the magazine thing in a few months when you save your ass off and drop the cash for something super nice only to realize that it really isn't that much better than the Walmart version. It sucks about the car, but that's not too difficult to remedy once you're out of school. Otherwise get a non-delivery job, sell the car, and get a motorcycle.

I got a bunch of decent range new things for my first apartment, along with the useless accessory items, etc. so that I had me a GQ approved (not quite, but it was an attempt) pad. I don't use most of the **** and am working on getting rid of what doesn't really contribute to my quality of life. Esquire is just there to sell you (really nice) junk.

Edit- if you want a job that pays well, look in to working as a commercial electrician or plumber. It pays better than your college degree would normally allow you to make, and generally kicks ass. I actually miss working as an electrician.

mehhhh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kyoung05
Is this part of the reason you're feeling disrespected? Just curious....

Nah, I don't think so. A portion of my friends probably actually respect me more for being broke- the wealthy suburban wanna be rock and rollers.

Basically this car is just ugly. I have an older Yamaha YZF600-R but I took the insurance off of it because I wasn't riding it, and now the carbs are gummed up from sitting, so no bike until I have the time to go fix that.
confused.gif

Lord-Barrington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Being a broke student doesn't suck at all. You're more carefree than you will be for the rest of your life. Enjoy it.

Being able to buy things is great but it's important to enjoy every part of your life. I was flat broke in college but focused on enjoying what that freedom could give me -- more time to devote to my hobbies and friends and the opportunity to do things during the week that I couldn't if I had a job. I didn't mope around about not having enough cash in my pockets to buy a new Charvet tie.

Life is short. Enjoy the present as much as possible rather than constantly thinking about the future.

fredfred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're out on a date.. .and you are complaining about your car? That doesn't suck... you are out on a date! It's fun to have a $200K car and have a date (ahem), but if you are out with a girl... all is right.

Learn a skill others don't have and will pay for. That' how you make money. Delivery doesn't pay much 'cause pretty much anyone can do it. Cosmetic surgery pays 'cause it takes years of med school, knowledge, and machinery and staff, as well as a good eye and aesthetic knowledge. Plus salesmanship. That's why it pays. Much more skill involved.

Very few students have $ 'cause they don't have any skills. I did some computer programming back then and had more $ coming in than others. It was great. But my car was a used chevrolet. I still got laid in it.

(but yes, some women WILL sleep with you just because you have a $$$ car. I learned that one night. The catch was we had to do it IN the car).

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nah, I don't think so. A portion of my friends probably actually respect me more for being broke- the wealthy suburban wanna be rock and rollers.

Basically this car is just ugly. I have an older Yamaha YZF600-R but I took the insurance off of it because I wasn't riding it, and now the carbs are gummed up from sitting, so no bike until I have the time to go fix that.
confused.gif

I finally make a decent salary, live in a nice neighborhood, have a cute girlfriend, and still drive a beat up '00 Corolla. It needs a lot of TLC, but it makes the morning commute with decent gas mileage. It's all about priorities and responsibilities.

BTW, find something you like with job prospects and study your ass off. If you enjoy hustling, make the extra money, but dont let it distract you from your primary goal.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Do NOT, I repeat, do NOT underestimate the value of having an older but fully paid-off car. I can tell you that I am very glad I bought my '07 Chevy Cobalt with cash. Lots of friends of mine who are also making ****** salaries are finding it difficult to get by...in almost every case, at some point they'll mention, "yeah, then there's the (insert hundreds of dollars here) payment on my 2010 Honda Civic Si."

Drive that Buick 'till it dies my friend.

mehhhh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lord-Barrington
Being a broke student doesn't suck at all. You're more carefree than you will be for the rest of your life. Enjoy it.

Being able to buy things is great but it's important to enjoy every part of your life. I was flat broke in college but focused on enjoying what that freedom could give me -- more time to devote to my hobbies and friends and the opportunity to do things during the week that I couldn't if I had a job. I didn't mope around about not having enough cash in my pockets to buy a new Charvet tie.

Life is short. Enjoy the present as much as possible rather than constantly thinking about the future.

I also work 15 or 20 hours a week, so I have basically zero time for hobbies and etc. I'm a busy man.

I could live with the Buick if the front seat wasn't permanently stuck in the fully reclined position and the passenger door worked. (Both my brother's fault- he had the car before me.)

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ good luck, you sound like you are going through a very rough stretch.

Lord-Barrington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also work 15 or 20 hours a week, so I have basically zero time for hobbies and etc. I'm a busy man. I could live with the Buick if the front seat wasn't permanently stuck in the fully reclined position and the passenger door worked. (Both my brother's fault- he had the car before me.)
Suck it up you wuss. 15-20 hours is nothing. I worked 20-30 through most of my UG and still had plenty of time to goof off and take it easy because I, like you, had no real responsibilities. No kids, wife, mortgage to pay, etc. Look, I've always believed that being born with a silver spoon up your ass and not working a day in your life until you graduate because daddy is paying for everything is no way to live. It's weak, it's unauthentic, and most importantly, it's uninteresting. You put in 15-20 hours of work a week? Good for you. Be proud of your labor. You go to school full-time? Good for you. Be proud of your labor. When you come to the finish line you'll be proud you did it on your terms and by your own sweat, not that of another. Now quit whining and start finding ways to make life interesting and enjoyable right now. When you graduate you may have a little more money in your pocket but you'll have plenty of other problems you never imagined at this age.

mehhhh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lord-Barrington
Suck it up you wuss.

15-20 hours is nothing. I worked 20-30 through most of my UG and still had plenty of time to goof off and take it easy because I, like you, had no real responsibilities. No kids, wife, mortgage to pay, etc.
Look, I've always believed that being born with a silver spoon up your ass and not working a day in your life until you graduate because daddy is paying for everything is no way to live. It's weak, it's unauthentic, and most importantly, it's uninteresting.

You put in 15-20 hours of work a week? Good for you. Be proud of your labor. You go to school full-time? Good for you. Be proud of your labor. When you come to the finish line you'll be proud you did it on your terms and by your own sweat, not that of another.

Now quit whining and start finding ways to make life interesting and enjoyable right now. When you graduate you may have a little more money in your pocket but you'll have plenty of other problems you never imagined at this age.

This may seem strange, but I couldn't agree more with this.
fistbump.gif

I'll almost inevitably look back on right now as a time when I was sleeping with a hot 21 year old regularly, partying, having all of my hair, being in relatively good shape, and generally having a ******* blast. And I would hate, hate, hate myself if I were born into serious money.

Having said all of that, though...being broke sucks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads