• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Teacher Thread

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mm84321
I wish my professors wore three piece suits; I think I'd take them more seriously.

Its amazing how one dresses with kids influences how they treat/respect you.

Originally Posted by WhoKnewI
Your classroom reminds me so much of IS 201.

Where's 201? Our building is ANCIENT. My room is around 125 years old, I think some of the furnishings are original too!

WhoKnewI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IS 201 is Dyker Heights Intermediate School. I went there and PS 185 (bay ridge)/PS 247 (bensonhurst) for grade school.

I don't remember any kids acting up in classes where the teacher wore a suit.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
IS 201 is Dyker Heights Intermediate School. I went there and PS 185 (bay ridge)/PS 247 (bensonhurst) for grade school.

I don't remember any kids acting up in classes where the teacher wore a suit.

Dyker, yea, Mrs Brennan is still the principal there. She's keen on having all of her male teachers in ties...everyone is scared of her! I guess I'd be ok in her book. She's one of the few who still keep her desks in rows...she's so old she doesn't care what the DOE is directing! LOL

I walk by 185 every morning on my way to work...great school.

WhoKnewI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you teach at 201, or is this just word that gets around.

Brennan terrified me.

There was this one rule where we had to walk on specific sides of the hall depending on which direction we had to go and which staircase we had to use. I remember one kid walking on the wrong side. brennan appears out of nowhere, grabs him, and flings him into the right line. blew my mind.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Was a teachers assistant for a kindergarten age summer science course and fell in love with kids between 3 and 6.

Was a teachers assistant for a 9th grade government class and nearly murdered a few teens.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger
Its amazing how one dresses with kids influences how they treat/respect you.

Do other teachers give you a hard time?

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Do you teach at 201, or is this just word that gets around.

Brennan terrified me.

There was this one rule where we had to walk on specific sides of the hall depending on which direction we had to go and which staircase we had to use. I remember one kid walking on the wrong side. brennan appears out of nowhere, grabs him, and flings him into the right line. blew my mind.

Nope, I'm at 104. We're close though, and I work with a few of Brennan's former minions. LOL at the hallway story, we have that in our place too, but we're a k-8, much smaller middle school.

Originally Posted by taxgenius
Do other teachers give you a hard time?

I'm in a pretty good place, and as caddy as it can get, no one is really malicious. I do get some good natured ribbing from time to time. The other day I had to call Alden about my LWB problem, and one of my colleagues was in the room when I left the message, and he was rumbling on about "wine colored long wing-tip vamp sizes" all day...lol, I don't know where he got 'wine colored' from, but it was funny. People ae just used to me now I guess.

Lord-Barrington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This thread is going to make kids think that all middle school classrooms should look like NYR's classroom. Three piece suits, free food... THIS IS NOT REALITY, KIDS!!!! RUN!!!!!

cross22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I only recognize samosas in those pictures.
redface.gif

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've always felt that being a teacher would be a rewarding experience, especially in the K-12 realm. I guess a lot depends on the school and area you teach in. History teachers were always my favorite--very laid back, but extremely helpful at the same time.

pvrhye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I teach in a Korean elementary and that's why I stepped up my game as far as clothing goes. I noticed the better dressed co-workers were getting a better deal than I was. These days I'm a spread collar under sweater with jeans kinda guy and it seems to be working out alright.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^^^One of the best teachers I've ever had taught history. He was phenomenal.

animeman05

Reaction score
NYR, any advice for an aspiring teacher? I just finished my BA in History and am looking at teachers' education programs.

FtRoyalty

Reaction score
I'm in my seventh year teaching high school and middle school English. I've found my philosophy degree more useful for teaching Englisn than my English degree. I also coach, but it eats up a lot of time in the winter. I taught in private for six years before making the jump to public this year. The job (both teaching and coaching) is rewarding, but this will probably be my only year at this current school.

NYR, I
worship.gif
for teaching eighth graders for so long. I enjoy the age group, but some of them, especially the girls, have some serious venom running through their veins.

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JustinW
My first year on the job - provisional teaching license after doing the alternative certification programme in Texas. I do economics, US government and history at a public high school with an 'international' focus. I also run the first aid, Amnesty International and UN clubs as well as assist with sports.

So far, I really enjoy it!
biggrin.gif

I am working on alt cert legislation right now - you would think the bloody sky is falling.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads