1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Teacher Thread

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by NewYorkIslander, Feb 14, 2011.

1. taxgenius

taxgenius Senior member

Its amazing how one dresses with kids influences how they treat/respect you.

Do other teachers give you a hard time?

2. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Senior member

Do you teach at 201, or is this just word that gets around.

Brennan terrified me.

There was this one rule where we had to walk on specific sides of the hall depending on which direction we had to go and which staircase we had to use. I remember one kid walking on the wrong side. brennan appears out of nowhere, grabs him, and flings him into the right line. blew my mind.

Nope, I'm at 104. We're close though, and I work with a few of Brennan's former minions. LOL at the hallway story, we have that in our place too, but we're a k-8, much smaller middle school.

Do other teachers give you a hard time?

I'm in a pretty good place, and as caddy as it can get, no one is really malicious. I do get some good natured ribbing from time to time. The other day I had to call Alden about my LWB problem, and one of my colleagues was in the room when I left the message, and he was rumbling on about "wine colored long wing-tip vamp sizes" all day...lol, I don't know where he got 'wine colored' from, but it was funny. People ae just used to me now I guess.

3. Lord-Barrington

Lord-Barrington Senior member

This thread is going to make kids think that all middle school classrooms should look like NYR's classroom. Three piece suits, free food... THIS IS NOT REALITY, KIDS!!!! RUN!!!!!

4. cross22

cross22 Senior member

I only recognize samosas in those pictures. [​IMG]

5. mm84321

mm84321 Senior member

I've always felt that being a teacher would be a rewarding experience, especially in the K-12 realm. I guess a lot depends on the school and area you teach in. History teachers were always my favorite--very laid back, but extremely helpful at the same time.

6. pvrhye

pvrhye Senior member

I teach in a Korean elementary and that's why I stepped up my game as far as clothing goes. I noticed the better dressed co-workers were getting a better deal than I was. These days I'm a spread collar under sweater with jeans kinda guy and it seems to be working out alright.

7. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

^^^One of the best teachers I've ever had taught history. He was phenomenal.

8. mmadha

mmadha Senior member

NYR, any advice for an aspiring teacher? I just finished my BA in History and am looking at teachers' education programs.

9. FtRoyalty

FtRoyalty Senior member

I'm in my seventh year teaching high school and middle school English. I've found my philosophy degree more useful for teaching Englisn than my English degree. I also coach, but it eats up a lot of time in the winter. I taught in private for six years before making the jump to public this year. The job (both teaching and coaching) is rewarding, but this will probably be my only year at this current school.

NYR, I [​IMG] for teaching eighth graders for so long. I enjoy the age group, but some of them, especially the girls, have some serious venom running through their veins.

10. Rugger

Rugger Senior member

My first year on the job - provisional teaching license after doing the alternative certification programme in Texas. I do economics, US government and history at a public high school with an 'international' focus. I also run the first aid, Amnesty International and UN clubs as well as assist with sports.

So far, I really enjoy it! [​IMG]

I am working on alt cert legislation right now - you would think the bloody sky is falling.

11. FtRoyalty

FtRoyalty Senior member

I am working on alt cert legislation right now - you would think the bloody sky is falling.

How so? I'm curious as to what you mean.

12. CBrown85

CBrown85 Senior member

Secondary (8-12) Physical Education, Social Studies 8 and History 12 are my primary focus lately. Only been in the game for a few months, though.

13. ryoneo

ryoneo Senior member

Nice idea for a thread. Hopefully it will be useful to many. I think there are a good amount of English teachers here located around Asia.

14. ryoneo

ryoneo Senior member

NYR, I've always wanted to see some pics of your classroom. You mind?

15. FtRoyalty

FtRoyalty Senior member

NYR, any advice for an aspiring teacher? I just finished my BA in History and am looking at teachers' education programs.

Do you plan on staying in CA? Most states have websites devoted to teaching in that state and provide information about licensure and certification. If you want to teach next year, knock out out any required tests (Praxis II, content exams, etc.) as early as you can. In my experience, states are pretty strict about getting passing scores as these go into being "highly qualified" by NCLB. They are more forgiving about missing a few education courses and will probably grant you a provisional; however, this is not the case with tests.

Edit: Private schools usually don't require licensure. The cultures between public and private are very different, but the actual classroom teaching is basically the same.

16. CBrown85

CBrown85 Senior member

Been doing a lot of web 2.0 in my teaching/prof. development. Anyone on The Twitter?

17. Rugger

Rugger Senior member

How so? I'm curious as to what you mean.
    Entitled teachers thinking they're irreplaceable and that they possess the magical elixer of education(thinking a teaching degree makes you a good teacher, or better..that graduate classes make them more worthy of a teaching job and that they should be compensated for it) even though their school is failing, their students hate them and they are barely in touch with reality. Add on top of that over zealous and demanding teacher unions and their chain-mailing yuppies demanding a raise while the rest of the country suffers and people are losing jobs...whining about pay freezes...you get the idea. There are great teachers out there, and I'm pretty sure NyRanger is one of them, but there are far more poor teachers. Alt Cert gets better people into classrooms and has shown to dramatically help close achievement gaps. Its a good thing and the dinosaur union cronies can't deal with that.

18. CBrown85

CBrown85 Senior member

Entitled teachers thinking they're irreplaceable and that they possess the magical elixer of education(thinking a teaching degree makes you a good teacher, or better..that graduate classes make them more worthy of a teaching job and that they should be compensated for it) even though their school is failing, their students hate them and they are barely in touch with reality. Add on top of that over zealous and demanding teacher unions and their chain-mailing yuppies demanding a raise while the rest of the country suffers and people are losing jobs...whining about pay freezes...you get the idea.

There are great teachers out there, and I'm pretty sure NyRanger is one of them, but there are far more poor teachers. Alt Cert gets better people into classrooms and has shown to dramatically help close achievement gaps. Its a good thing and the dinosaur union cronies can't deal with that.

I think this just isn't true.

19. Rugger

Rugger Senior member

I think this just isn't true.

Ok probably accurate. Far more is a reach. There certainly aren't as many outstanding teachers as there should be.

20. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

I admire and an grateful to you teachers. couldn't do it, myself - I've spent a little time teaching cub scouts specific things, and teaching for a living would kill me. good for you guys.