• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cuttingboard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
I don't think a C&J Drummond is a good substitute for the Inverness. First, because it's a C&J and not an EG, which is IMO a steep downgrade (not a C&J hater, I have multiple pairs and they're great value). Second, because the uniqueness of Inverness is its construction and lightness - it is not a typical wingtip and wears more like a whole cut than a brogue - austerity or not. And then third, because the Drummond is on a very elongated last and it only works for some. The sleek EG lasts are quite a bit less conspicuous IMO.
I agree but I can't get past the design on the toe of the Inverness (1st pic). The only EG wingtip that's not a MTO that Ive found is the Bealieu (2nd pic).
inverness003.jpg
b.jpg

black_umbrella

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All right, thought I'd finally take the plunge and drop some pics of my current rotation. Currently missing a black captoe, but I work in academia so nothing typically more formal than a sportcoat required. These work pretty well for me. Got a boot on the way and am hunting for another brown laceup, possibly a derby.

shoe_collection.png

Cuttingboard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking that my first EG is purchase is going to be either the Southwold Oxford or Westminster Double Monk.

Roguls

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by black_umbrella
All right, thought I'd finally take the plunge and drop some pics of my current rotation. Currently missing a black captoe, but I work in academia so nothing typically more formal than a sportcoat required. These work pretty well for me. Got a boot on the way and am hunting for another brown laceup, possibly a derby.

What are those front row left?

black_umbrella

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alden 911's. Hampton last. Not the most sleek shoe, but one of my favorites. It was the "First" shoe.

nice1take5

Reaction score
Nothing like most of you guys, but here's my daily:

DSC08322.jpg

From left, top: Cordowainer, Magnanni Anton, Santoni Hayward (Goodyear), Santoni 10012 (Goodyear), Santoni Morris

DSC08323.jpg

From left, top: Magnanni Federico, Santoni Elliston, Santoni Garson, Mayol, Santoni Garson

DSC08324.jpg

From left, top: Santoni Nautilus, Santoni Himalaya, Bruno Magli Raspuco, To Boot NY Carson, Ferragamo Francisco

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NOBD
Nice to see these. I'm thinking about having some winter chukka's made next year (MTM). I was thinking about something like these, but with commando soles. Is this type of grain leather the most 'suitable' for winter weather"”do you think it can handle some snow and salt?
Originally Posted by NOBD
Hehe. Thanks. I intend to do exactly the same, just want the most suitable leather to start with.
Commando soles are better than Dainite for snow/ice.

Grained leather performs no better than smooth leather with salt/snow - sorry. Sometimes the grained leather is thicker which helps marginally with the damp and cold. These observations are all from personal experience.

bbhewee

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cuttingboard
I agree but I can't get past the design on the toe of the Inverness (1st pic). The only EG wingtip that's not a MTO that Ive found is the Bealieu (2nd pic).

inverness003.jpg

b.jpg

Have you looked at the EG Frome?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads