Shoe Damage Report & Shoe P0rn Central - Part II

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Oyaji, Feb 20, 2010.

1. Cuttingboard

Cuttingboard Senior member

I don't think a C&J Drummond is a good substitute for the Inverness. First, because it's a C&J and not an EG, which is IMO a steep downgrade (not a C&J hater, I have multiple pairs and they're great value). Second, because the uniqueness of Inverness is its construction and lightness - it is not a typical wingtip and wears more like a whole cut than a brogue - austerity or not. And then third, because the Drummond is on a very elongated last and it only works for some. The sleek EG lasts are quite a bit less conspicuous IMO.
    I agree but I can't get past the design on the toe of the Inverness (1st pic). The only EG wingtip that's not a MTO that Ive found is the Bealieu (2nd pic). [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. black_umbrella

black_umbrella Senior member

All right, thought I'd finally take the plunge and drop some pics of my current rotation. Currently missing a black captoe, but I work in academia so nothing typically more formal than a sportcoat required. These work pretty well for me. Got a boot on the way and am hunting for another brown laceup, possibly a derby.

[​IMG]

3. Cuttingboard

Cuttingboard Senior member

I'm thinking that my first EG is purchase is going to be either the Southwold Oxford or Westminster Double Monk.

4. NORE

NORE Senior member

The Southwold's toe cap is funny looking from the top-down view.

5. gyasih

gyasih Senior member

How does yours fit? Did you size down because of the extra room in the toe box?

I am a US 11-11.5D, I took a 10E in these and they are wider than an 11D from Barney in the same last.

6. medtech_expat

medtech_expat Senior member

Westminster Double Monk.

Love this one. Mine have been with EG for relasting, should hopefully be homebound in the next week or so.

7. Roguls

Roguls Senior member

All right, thought I'd finally take the plunge and drop some pics of my current rotation. Currently missing a black captoe, but I work in academia so nothing typically more formal than a sportcoat required. These work pretty well for me. Got a boot on the way and am hunting for another brown laceup, possibly a derby.

What are those front row left?

8. black_umbrella

black_umbrella Senior member

Alden 911's. Hampton last. Not the most sleek shoe, but one of my favorites. It was the "First" shoe.

9. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

My new brown semi-brogue Oxford MTO shoes from Dama Milano. Made in Italy. Very nice indeed [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

Nice shoes wraith but you need to get some decent shoe trees quicksmart if you want to preserve your heels... just sayin'.

11. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

Yep, I'm on it.

12. nice1take5

nice1take5 Well-Known Member

Nothing like most of you guys, but here's my daily:

[​IMG]

From left, top: Cordowainer, Magnanni Anton, Santoni Hayward (Goodyear), Santoni 10012 (Goodyear), Santoni Morris

[​IMG]

From left, top: Magnanni Federico, Santoni Elliston, Santoni Garson, Mayol, Santoni Garson

[​IMG]

From left, top: Santoni Nautilus, Santoni Himalaya, Bruno Magli Raspuco, To Boot NY Carson, Ferragamo Francisco

13. apropos

apropos Senior member

Nice to see these. I'm thinking about having some winter chukka's made next year (MTM). I was thinking about something like these, but with commando soles. Is this type of grain leather the most 'suitable' for winter weather"”do you think it can handle some snow and salt?
    Hehe. Thanks. I intend to do exactly the same, just want the most suitable leather to start with.
    Commando soles are better than Dainite for snow/ice.

Grained leather performs no better than smooth leather with salt/snow - sorry. Sometimes the grained leather is thicker which helps marginally with the damp and cold. These observations are all from personal experience.

14. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

Thanks, apropos.

15. bbhewee

bbhewee Senior member

I agree but I can't get past the design on the toe of the Inverness (1st pic). The only EG wingtip that's not a MTO that Ive found is the Bealieu (2nd pic).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Have you looked at the EG Frome?