• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

mk.ultra

Reaction score
I think I hit the jackpot today. Huge Boss black label suit, with original tags. First picture is really bad, I know (It's black).
hugoboss1.jpg
hugoboss2l.jpg

andrew96

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mk.ultra
I think I hit the jackpot today. Huge Boss black label suit, with original tags. First picture is really bad, I know (It's black).

hugoboss1.jpg

hugoboss2l.jpg

Wow, you did hit the jackpot. I almost never see new Boss stuff, never the less suits.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First time ever truly thrifting today, and I think I did well. Total was $13.07:

Brooks Brothers suitcoat:

Lord Jeff 100% cashmere sweater:

Polo by Ralph Lauren suitcoat and pants (28x31):

polo2m.jpg

polo1r.jpg

How'd I do?

The BB looks like the orphan it is. Lord Jeff is OK. The Polo suit is among the earliest in his tailored clothing production; I would suggest mid-70s. One clue on the label is his name in ALL CAPS. On the plus side, it is well-made and the styling is more durable than that of most other clothing lines. To make it more contemporary, you might consider tapering the trousers.

Ace_Face

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Made a rush trip through the thrift store, so I didn't get a chance to get real deep into it. No purchases but some indicators that there may be some stuff if I dig in: two dozen Robert Talbott ties (most 90s style but a few I would consider) a HSM Gold Trumpeter wool topcoat (condition issues) Pringle lambswool sweater (too small) and a Hickey Freeman bespoke camel hair jacket. Nice looking, but too small for me. Maybe I'll go back tomorrow and see if I can find a little more.

mk.ultra

Reaction score
Originally Posted by acridsheep
How much did you pay for it, if you don't mind my asking?
$9.70. The suitcoat and the pants were separated, but I was diligent enough to look through the ENTIRE pants rack (Which took like 30 extra minutes), but it was well worth it. Also found Burberry and Brooks Brothers suitcoats, but I couldn't find the pants so I passed on them.

mk.ultra

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mainy
yus. it is old. if the chest measurement (not likely) is around 18.5 I would be innnnnterested.

18.5? my chest is like 38 inches! How do I measure the chest on a suitcoat?

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
^18.5" would be the measurement from pit to pit (underarm to underarm). Button the coat, place the coat on a flat surface, flip up the sleeves, then simply measure straight across. Doubling that measurement will give you the chest measurement (eg, 18.5" from pit to pit = 37" chest measurement, or around a size 34 or 35).

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, you got about as highly priced a fused suit as you can find. Trouble is, it's still fused. Hugo Boss's construction is utter crap for the price. If it fits you, $10 is a nice deal, but it ain't exactly a jackpot. A jackpot is fully canvassed, nice fabric, and fits for $10. Think finding a kiton suit in your size.

Crass

Reaction score
Allen Edmonds "Westwood" in Cognac New - $70
Allen Edmonds "Greenwich" in Cognac New - $70
Red Wings GT in Burgundy New - $99

...in Maine of all places

acridsheep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cptjeff
Well, you got about as highly priced a fused suit as you can find. Trouble is, it's still fused.

Hugo Boss's construction is utter crap for the price. If it fits you, $10 is a nice deal, but it ain't exactly a jackpot. A jackpot is fully canvassed, nice fabric, and fits for $10. Think finding a kiton suit in your size.

He could easily sell it for 20x what he paid for it. That qualifies as a pretty nice pickup to me, fused or not.

mk.ultra

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cptjeff
Well, you got about as highly priced a fused suit as you can find. Trouble is, it's still fused. Hugo Boss's construction is utter crap for the price. If it fits you, $10 is a nice deal, but it ain't exactly a jackpot. A jackpot is fully canvassed, nice fabric, and fits for $10. Think finding a kiton suit in your size.
Well, to be honest I'm in the game for profit. Making $300 on a suit I paid $10 for is a jackpot for a college student. I've only worn a suit once in my life, for my high school prom.

andrew96

Reaction score
Well, to be honest I'm in the game for profit. Making $300 on a suit I paid $10 for is a jackpot for a college student. I've only worn a suit once in my life, for my high school prom.

There are far more profitable pursuits. I also will sell one from time to time, but I don't make a business out of it. I learned that lesson years ago. OEM and online stores are the way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads