The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EBTX66

EBTX66 Senior member

They had the same problem. They were a very light tan but the finish was very shiny and it didn't look right. I tried to antique them but the dark polish just migrated into the creases and perforations. I took them to my local cobbler and he dyed them for $23. I take it that just about all of them do it, but you might want to look around because mine has a limited selection of colors. He told me that stripping the dark polish out wouldn't be a problem so I think yours will work. I'm just amazed at how new the re-dye made them look. I'll probably do it in the future to others just to renew their original color.

2. mistermidwester

mistermidwester Senior member

For reference, here's the Florsheim Imperials I mentioned.

[​IMG]

Snagged them at an estate sale this summer with two other pairs of FI's, including the following boots, for $2 a pair. My lucky day.

[​IMG]

Considering my minimal investment, I think I'll inquire about the dyeing next time I'm at my cobblers. Thanks for the info.

3. k4lnamja

k4lnamja Senior member

[​IMG]

Snagged them at an estate sale this summer with two other pairs of FI's, including the following boots, for $2 a pair. My lucky day.

[​IMG]

Considering my minimal investment, I think I'll inquire about the dyeing next time I'm at my cobblers. Thanks for the info.

What's an estate sale and how does it work?

4. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

A huge garage sale, usually held within the home and has most of the home's contents (home owner's possessions) for sale. Usually is the result of a death or extreme down-sizing. . I love them personally, but a lot of the time I find someone has bugged the hell out of the people/person running the sale to let them in before everyone else has arrived, sometimes even the night before the sale opens and cleans out the good stuff.

5. andrew96

andrew96 Senior member

I made a big haul today, this was in two shop hits

2 sets of sterling/onyx studs(no maker's mark)
    1 set onyx/sterling Tuxedo cufflinks(matching both stud sets) $7 for everything

2 brand new(with tags) Brooks Brothers ties $2.50 each

a brand new(with tags in box) Hugo Boss Cummerbund/bowtie set $10

6. SuitMyself

SuitMyself Senior member

Picked this tie up a few days ago....anybody have any idea what it is? Beautiful thick silk in a cool pink color with gold and silver fleur de lis pattern. There are no labels anywhere, and i cant find a stitch loose that would signify a missing label (apart from the "cucita a mano" pictured). Self-tipped, feels really well made.

[​IMG]

"CUCITA A MANO" is Italian for "made by hand".

7. amadar

amadar Senior member

^^^^^^^thank you. I did realize this, I was hoping that someone would recognize the specific "made by hand" tag and associate it with a tie producer. [​IMG]

8. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

Fugly

9. 951socal

951socal Senior member

Karl Lagerfield Tie
    What is this? its actually a really kick ass plaid patten that reminds me of wool (but it is silk)

Loro Piana Silk and Cashmere shirt/cardigan

and a TV since my old CRT just went out last week, i picked up a 15" phillips/maganavox for $89
    Going to get a wal mount for it so my desktop/work space has the 3 monitors and the TVwhich can be used as a foruth ! nd i just got a pretty badass video card so it can do it with ease

10. EBTX66

EBTX66 Senior member

A huge garage sale, usually held within the home and has most of the home's contents (home owner's possessions) for sale. Usually is the result of a death or extreme down-sizing. . I love them personally, but a lot of the time I find someone has bugged the hell out of the people/person running the sale to let them in before everyone else has arrived, sometimes even the night before the sale opens and cleans out the good stuff.

When my mom would have garage sales this one lady would start knocking on our door at 4 AM. She would hang out and bug my mom as we were setting up for the sale. She would make ridiculous lowball offers on everything and my mom would sell her a bunch of stuff just to get rid of her. Turns out she owned one of those "antique" (re: junk) stores that are so popular in small towns. This was the 70's. I just realized: that lady may have been Patient Zero of the whole Flipper pandemic![​IMG]

11. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Senior member

"CUCITA A MANO" is Italian for "made by hand".
    Actually it means "Hand sewn".Handmade would be "Fatto a mano".

12. JKMWCL

JKMWCL Senior member

Just back from a 50% sale at a local higher end thrift store. Came out with a Aquascutum Suit ($25) that will fit perfectly with a little alterations and a pair of AEs ($15) that fit like a glove and will be proper after a nice clieaning!

13. andrew96

andrew96 Senior member

A big haul today, all basically new, for $15. I only hit two shops!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. JKMWCL

JKMWCL Senior member

A big haul today, all basically new, for $15.

Very nice!

15. Staatsoper

Staatsoper Senior member

Actually it means "Hand sewn".Handmade would be "Fatto a mano".

Va bene, caro signore.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.