The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. antirabbit

antirabbit Senior member

I had sort of luck.
    Went back and got tonyL the SC, it was there.
    Found a 42R Zegna SC in an awesome green and tan subtle plaid (double vented, 3/2 roll)
    Found the pants to a Mason N3 suit (FOK), so Ill go back and see if the jacket shows up....it was made last year in a super 150s double pinstripe, Grey field with a copper stripe.

2. YoungAmerican

YoungAmerican Senior member Dubiously Honored

Please tell me these weren't a 42-44 R or L......

OK, I won't.

3. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

Speaking as a noob, I have to ask, surely it isn't that simple or exact? There'd have been no cause for using different measurements if it were. Is it just to regularize irregular/vanity sizing or avoid EU vs US mistakes?

I'm not sure exactly what you're asking. The measurements are that easy. Getting measurements is a way to communicate what that exact garment measures to. Tagged size can give you an idea of what the suit will be, but some suits tagged 40R will have a 41" chest, some 42", some 44". This especially becomes an issue with used garments that have been altered. Sleeve length and inseam length become very important on altered garments. And yes, EU to US sizing can also be iffy. When selling a garment measurements are a necessity.

There's a measuring guide that Aharris did that someone will link for you (or do a search).

4. otc

otc Senior member

Found a 42R Zegna SC in an awesome green and tan subtle plaid (double vented, 3/2 roll).
    Is that your size? If not, it might be mine and I am looking for some sort of plaid jacket

5. gdwy89

gdwy89 Well-Known Member

6. JohnnyLaw

JohnnyLaw Senior member

On a side note, wore a thrifted OCBD for the first time yesterday. Went to button down the collars after I put it on and"” no button holes! Instead, it's got loops under the tips of the collar points. Is there a name for this?

It's a hidden button down.

7. frenchy

frenchy In Time Out

How Flipable are ski's?

not so much,unless you find $2000 carbon skis which i did once,snowboards are very flipable (craigslist)

8. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

How Flipable are ski's?

If they're in good condition, then you could probably get a fair return on e-bay. Shipping would be a pain, but hey, you bill the buyer for that, and they would be expecting high shipping charges anyway.

9. hyakku

hyakku Senior member

passed on a pair of filo grana shoes i believe, they were made in italy, oxford black wingtips(those are the ones with the designs right?), but i couldnt find anything on them while i was in store, im still thinking of going back and gettingthem but they were $30, anyone know anything?

10. Egert

Egert Senior member

Bought Zara pinstripe suit (wool) for €15.

Also saw a Giorgio Armani 3piece, which was short for me, and I'm not even tall (6'1") [​IMG]

11. pnin22

pnin22 Senior member

12. tomorrowstars

tomorrowstars Senior member

This is a PSA for Toronto and Canada people: Value Village is having a 1/2 off everything sale on Feb 7 2011. See: http://www.valuevillage.com/Promotions.aspx
    Having both worked and shopped at one of these events, I can tell you it's not worthwhile. Store gets torn apart immediately and you have to deal with a lot of really aggressive people. If you must go, be there when they open (at 7am) to have any chance at something good. I always shop a day or two before those sales because they put out a lot of new stuff and I don't mind paying double and being sure to get it.

13. SimonC

SimonC Senior member

A good day:

A Welsh & Jefferies 6/2 DB bespoke suit in a 16oz navy chalkstripe. It's the perfect length (which is very rare), but the jacket is slighty roomy and the trousers are something else entirely - I like a generous cut but these have enough room for a double helping of ferret legging...

A slightly ragged Grenfell belted hunting jacket (probably too big, but it was too cheap and nice to leave behind).

A charming Holland & Holland tie:

[​IMG]

A couple of shirts:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Boxercise Toughguy

$12 for $15,000 painting from an estate sale. [​IMG] I contacted the artist and confirmed authenticity/originality/current pricing on pieces of this size. Can't show a photo as I may sell it and SF is viewed by more than just "us"...

15. hyakku

hyakku Senior member

Well, didn't grab those shoes since I couldn't get an answer while I was still in the area (if anyone knows now though it would still be appreciated), but it's almost like the gods were blessing me for had I spent that $30 I would never have came across what I did at the next store I went too. Grabbed:

A Banana Republic fitted pima polo.

An 85% silk, 15% cashmere hoodie for my roommate (furious it didn't fit me, was one of the most comfortable pieces of clothing I've ever donned, think it was from Barney's or something, didn't really pay attention to the label).

Another zip up 100% cotton sweater from BR that's just really comfortable (again, probably not too much of a steal for many on this thread, but I'm judging alot of my finds on comfort as well as label name, etc.)

An Armani, Made in Italy (the black label with just his name) Navy Blue 100% Cashmere Sports coat. It may not be from the special collection line, but it's still extraordinarily nice and a color I've been looking for. Also had a fused suit from his line which was 90% "new wool", 10% silk but couldn't find the pants so put it back.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

An older BB tie, striped, Made in Italy.
    A polkadot HIlditch & Key tie (can anyone tell me if these two ties are any good? I'm just starting to buy ties and I was judging based on the construction and look I would like and think I did well)

[​IMG]

ANOTHER RLPL half zip sweater, same size (that's three in like one week from the same spot, one went to roomie, last two already sold)

And finally.........

[​IMG]

I'm hoping I grabbed the right sweater and this is one of the fabled Bear Polo sweaters. I know it's not one of the ones where the bear covers the entire sweater but I figure someone would know if these hold at least a fraction of the other sweaters value. If so my woop of victory in the store was well deserved.

Also, there has been a zegna coat that's amazing there for a few days, I think a 52 or 56 R or L, if anyone is interested let me know. Its a light cream color, with a subtle windowpane pattern, next time I'll try to grab a picture.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.