• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdwy89
3) Keep it in my closet and wait until I gain the inevitable weight that comes with aging and a slower metabolism (this was my mom's suggestion [Is this a legitimate suggestion? Seriously, does anyone keep clothes to slightly too small in an effort to lose weight or keep clothes slightly too big as insurance?]).

This seems silly. Why set yourself up to gain weight? I can understand someone currently on a diet or currently bulking up holding on to clothes that they know will fit in a few months...but waiting until you start to get fat? I propose option 4:

4) Sell it to somebody on SF and roll the proceeds into something that fits. Capital markets FTW! (unless the bits that don't fit are something other than the shoulders...if it is too big at the waist or has too long sleeves...you can have that tailored)

amadar

Reaction score
Picked this tie up a few days ago....anybody have any idea what it is? Beautiful thick silk in a cool pink color with gold and silver fleur de lis pattern. There are no labels anywhere, and i cant find a stitch loose that would signify a missing label (apart from the "cucita a mano" pictured). Self-tipped, feels really well made.

IMG00240-20110203-1059.jpg

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by amadar
Picked this tie up a few days ago....anybody have any idea what it is? Beautiful thick silk in a cool pink color with gold and silver fleur de lis pattern. There are no labels anywhere, and i cant find a stitch loose that would signify a missing label (apart from the "cucita a mano" pictured). Self-tipped, feels really well made.

IMG00240-20110203-1059.jpg

Wow! Beautiful tie! Can't help you identify it, regardless, wear it with pride as it looks great
smile.gif

hyakku

Reaction score
Passed on a zegna suit recently, was like a 52 or 56, way too big for me unfortunately.

Picked up a nice Dolce polo (disregarding the label, i'm really happy as it's one of the only comfortable short sleeve polos that has ever fit me perfectly), a pair of Versace Nylon / elastic jeans that are possibly the most awesome jeans I've ever owned, and a pair of Junya Watanabe black wool pants that look NWOT that I may put up for sale (the more I look at them though the more I lean towards keeping them), and a pretty average but also really nice fitting BR polo. Altogether spent about $65, so a little pricey but for what I got I can't really complain, especially because of the jeans/ shirt.

Also let my roommate grab a pair of 11D AE's with the standard toe cap instead of grabbing them to sell/ trade down to my size. I figure once I clean up the Bruno Magli's and Nettleton's from earlier this week I should be able to find some nice shoes up here either through selling these or trading them so I might as well let him have it, plus he had been looking for months for a pair.

tonylumpkin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I picked up a Willis and Geiger U.S. Navy Summer Flight Jacket. The tag says its model NA 1, which I've never seen. Mint condition.
Also picked up a near new pair of Filson bluchers that fit my son perfectly.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ Nice find on the Willis & Geiger. They made some really cool stuff. Also, I never knew Filson made shoes...
Originally Posted by hyakku
and a pair of Junya Watanabe black wool pants that look NWOT that I may put up for sale (the more I look at them though the more I lean towards keeping them),
Wow! Nice score. I've never come across any Junya stuff before, not even in retail stores...

mk.ultra

Reaction score
First time ever truly thrifting today, and I think I did well. Total was $13.07:

Brooks Brothers suitcoat:

brooks1.jpg

brooks2.jpg

Lord Jeff 100% cashmere sweater:

lord1v.jpg

lord2.jpg

Polo by Ralph Lauren suitcoat and pants (28x31):

polo2m.jpg

polo1r.jpg

How'd I do?

EBTX66

Reaction score
Here's the photos I promised of my recent show finds. I know the brands aren't all top shelf but as I've said before; for all my luck with clothes Dallas is a tuff place to thrift good shoes.

Here are some Cole-Haan and J&M Made in Italy shoes that appeared to only have try on marks on them:

The Kenneth Cole Made in Italy lace-ups also appeared to be unworn. I found shoe cream at my cobbler in rustic brown that perfectly matched these and they have since been polished to a very nice, even brown/dark olive patina. They still look antiqued but I just couldn't do that whole distressed look:

Then I have my mystery Hanovers. There is no other writing in them; no size, no model#, etc. I got them for $20 and have know idea if this was a good find or if they are cheapos:

Here are the vintage longwings that I had dyed navy blue. The flash makes them appear much more blue than they are. In natural light they appear black. They are actually much more subtle than I would have liked so I have been using a navy blue polish that is one shade lighter hoping to bring out more of the blue.

The last pair is some J&M made in Italy shoes that I found in a light brown. Not wanting to make the same mistake as the blue ones I had them dyed sherwood green. They came out looking like I was going to fight Batman for control of Gotham City. I've been using black shoe cream on one of them them and it has developed a very nice, almost black appearance. The green is still there but in a tasteful way.

I forgot to take pictures of the unworn AE Leeds shell cordovan shoes I found, but everyone knows what they look like...

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
^Very well with the sweater and Polo suit. You should have left the BB suit coat. There's really nothing to do with an orphaned suit coat no matter how hard you try. And we've all tried.

That's pretty early Polo.

mainy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
^Very well with the sweater and Polo suit. You should have left the BB suit coat. There's really nothing to do with an orphaned suit coat no matter how hard you try. And we've all tried.

That's pretty early Polo.

yus. it is old. if the chest measurement (not likely) is around 18.5 I would be innnnnterested.

hyakku

Reaction score
Some of those are still pretty nice EBT, I didn't know KC had MAde in Italy shoes either, there have been a few behind the glass at a few local GWs (those are the $15-$25 shoes) that looked nice but I assumed were low quality because most of the others I had touched were and didn't really wanna waste this guys time touching every shoe behind the glass lol. Good to know.

EBTX66

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hyakku
Some of those are still pretty nice EBT, I didn't know KC had MAde in Italy shoes either, there have been a few behind the glass at a few local GWs (those are the $15-$25 shoes) that looked nice but I assumed were low quality because most of the others I had touched were and didn't really wanna waste this guys time touching every shoe behind the glass lol. Good to know.

I also didn't realize before I saw them that either J&M or KC had a Made in Italy line. I'd say the J&M's are on par with the Cole-Haans as far as quality. The KC's are okay except the leather is so soft that even the toe caps are creasing after just one wearing. Still, they are far above the plastic feeling, square-toed KC monstrosities sold down at Macy's.

mistermidwester

Reaction score
Originally Posted by EBTX66
Here are the vintage longwings that I had dyed navy blue. The flash makes them appear much more blue than they are. In natural light they appear black. They are actually much more subtle than I would have liked so I have been using a navy blue polish that is one shade lighter hoping to bring out more of the blue.

Nice batch of shoes!

I'm curious about this pair that you got dyed. I have a pair of light gray Florsheim Imperial loafers in light gray last summer, and despite some repeated polishes and love, they have some dark-gray streaks on them that don't look like they're going to come out. Where did you go to dye your shoes, or did you do it yourself? Is that something fairly common that my local cobbler should be able to do?

I'm just curious because these shoes I found fit beautifully and are really nice, but the light gray looks kind of crummy with the streaks and I'd like to get them a color that either matches the darker gray of the streaks or some other slightly darker color altogether.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads