The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blamm

Blamm Well-Known Member

Sulka tie from GW - left another green paisley one behind [​IMG]

2. mk.ultra

mk.ultra Senior member

I think I hit the jackpot today. Huge Boss black label suit, with original tags. First picture is really bad, I know (It's black). [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. andrew96

andrew96 Senior member

I think I hit the jackpot today. Huge Boss black label suit, with original tags. First picture is really bad, I know (It's black).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wow, you did hit the jackpot. I almost never see new Boss stuff, never the less suits.

4. acridsheep

acridsheep Senior member

Grazing on the carcasses of less senior members
    I think I hit the jackpot today. Huge Boss black label suit, with original tags. First picture is really bad, I know (It's black).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

How much did you pay for it, if you don't mind my asking?

5. mack11211

mack11211 Senior member

First time ever truly thrifting today, and I think I did well. Total was $13.07:

Brooks Brothers suitcoat:

Lord Jeff 100% cashmere sweater:

Polo by Ralph Lauren suitcoat and pants (28x31):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

How'd I do?

The BB looks like the orphan it is. Lord Jeff is OK. The Polo suit is among the earliest in his tailored clothing production; I would suggest mid-70s. One clue on the label is his name in ALL CAPS. On the plus side, it is well-made and the styling is more durable than that of most other clothing lines. To make it more contemporary, you might consider tapering the trousers.

6. Ace_Face

Ace_Face Senior member

Made a rush trip through the thrift store, so I didn't get a chance to get real deep into it. No purchases but some indicators that there may be some stuff if I dig in: two dozen Robert Talbott ties (most 90s style but a few I would consider) a HSM Gold Trumpeter wool topcoat (condition issues) Pringle lambswool sweater (too small) and a Hickey Freeman bespoke camel hair jacket. Nice looking, but too small for me. Maybe I'll go back tomorrow and see if I can find a little more.

7. mk.ultra

mk.ultra Senior member

How much did you pay for it, if you don't mind my asking?
    $9.70. The suitcoat and the pants were separated, but I was diligent enough to look through the ENTIRE pants rack (Which took like 30 extra minutes), but it was well worth it. Also found Burberry and Brooks Brothers suitcoats, but I couldn't find the pants so I passed on them.

8. mk.ultra

mk.ultra Senior member

yus. it is old. if the chest measurement (not likely) is around 18.5 I would be innnnnterested.

18.5? my chest is like 38 inches! How do I measure the chest on a suitcoat?

9. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

^ That measurement is laid flat. Doubled, it becomes 37. [​IMG]

10. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

^18.5" would be the measurement from pit to pit (underarm to underarm). Button the coat, place the coat on a flat surface, flip up the sleeves, then simply measure straight across. Doubling that measurement will give you the chest measurement (eg, 18.5" from pit to pit = 37" chest measurement, or around a size 34 or 35).

11. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Well, you got about as highly priced a fused suit as you can find. Trouble is, it's still fused. Hugo Boss's construction is utter crap for the price. If it fits you, $10 is a nice deal, but it ain't exactly a jackpot. A jackpot is fully canvassed, nice fabric, and fits for $10. Think finding a kiton suit in your size.

12. Crass

Crass Active Member

Allen Edmonds "Westwood" in Cognac New - $70
    Allen Edmonds "Greenwich" in Cognac New - $70
    Red Wings GT in Burgundy New - $99

...in Maine of all places

13. acridsheep

acridsheep Senior member

Grazing on the carcasses of less senior members
    Well, you got about as highly priced a fused suit as you can find. Trouble is, it's still fused.

Hugo Boss's construction is utter crap for the price. If it fits you, $10 is a nice deal, but it ain't exactly a jackpot. A jackpot is fully canvassed, nice fabric, and fits for $10. Think finding a kiton suit in your size.

He could easily sell it for 20x what he paid for it. That qualifies as a pretty nice pickup to me, fused or not.

14. mk.ultra

mk.ultra Senior member

Well, you got about as highly priced a fused suit as you can find. Trouble is, it's still fused. Hugo Boss's construction is utter crap for the price. If it fits you, $10 is a nice deal, but it ain't exactly a jackpot. A jackpot is fully canvassed, nice fabric, and fits for $10. Think finding a kiton suit in your size.
    Well, to be honest I'm in the game for profit. Making $300 on a suit I paid $10 for is a jackpot for a college student. I've only worn a suit once in my life, for my high school prom.

15. andrew96

andrew96 Senior member

Well, to be honest I'm in the game for profit. Making $300 on a suit I paid $10 for is a jackpot for a college student. I've only worn a suit once in my life, for my high school prom.

There are far more profitable pursuits. I also will sell one from time to time, but I don't make a business out of it. I learned that lesson years ago. OEM and online stores are the way to go.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.