• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Top Gear (UK) discussion

chas

Reaction score
I think it is the best show on TV. My wife couldn't care less about cars and she likes it as well. The chemistry between the hosts is great and they respect the intelegence of their audience.

henrikc

Reaction score
Second episode aired yesterday, and I watched it today. I did however watch the Top Gear Australia episode when I heard that the UK boys would be in it, so nothing new in this really.
Review of 599 GTO was decent, nothing to brag about.

Races against Australia were quite fun, I do love the one car two drivers concept. The scripting did shine through though, but I'm not complaining too loudly. The Australian episode (3x00 IIRC) contained more of the races (they didn't do any news or reviews, so they had more time for race footage), so that's worth taking a look at if you want to see more of it.

L.R.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I honestly have no interest in vehicles, yet I love this show. It's just well written, well hosted, and above all, fun.

amulyaa

Reaction score
I love this show and watching this show from last few season. I will definitely watch its upcoming season.

Unregistered

Reaction score
I absolutely loved the rally against the Aussies. Gripping and awesome! James drove very well indeed
laugh.gif

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by henrikc
Second episode aired yesterday, and I watched it today. I did however watch the Top Gear Australia episode when I heard that the UK boys would be in it, so nothing new in this really.
Review of 599 GTO was decent, nothing to brag about.

Races against Australia were quite fun, I do love the one car two drivers concept. The scripting did shine through though, but I'm not complaining too loudly. The Australian episode (3x00 IIRC) contained more of the races (they didn't do any news or reviews, so they had more time for race footage), so that's worth taking a look at if you want to see more of it.

Having watched the Ashes episode I was a little disappointed and the animal park bit was missing.
confused.gif

henrikc

Reaction score
Well, that part was produced by the Australians, and I don't think it would've fitted with the rest of the show. Sure, they could've shown a short clip of it and said something along the lines of "And then we sent them to the zoo", and then aired a clip of the Australians driving around in the small Peel P50s, but we're here to watch Jeremy, Hammond and James, right?
wink.gif

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Racist much?
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by embowafa
Racist much?
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

No big deal, they rag on everyone. Koreans, Indians, Chinese, Germans, Italians, THE FRENCH, Amurricans, Australians, and a lot of their own as well. They just do it for the lulz.

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm far from PC, but saying "It's ok...they're racist to EVERYONE" doesn't make it any better.

I'm not too familiar with their 'cultural observations' but it just seems so unnecessary given the subject matter of the show. I was more surprised at just how out of left field it is.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm far from PC, but saying "It's ok...they're racist to EVERYONE" doesn't make it any better.

I'm not too familiar with their 'cultural observations' but it just seems so unnecessary given the subject matter of the show. I was more surprised at just how out of left field it is.

If they were really malicious in any of their "racist" remarks then I'm sure they wouldn't have aired it on the BBC, one of the most PC networks anywhere.

The TG hosts tend to give colorful jokes and observations all the time, it's what they do and is part of what makes the show so great. Watch a few seasons and you'll see what I mean.

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by henrikc
Well, that part was produced by the Australians, and I don't think it would've fitted with the rest of the show.
Sure, they could've shown a short clip of it and said something along the lines of "And then we sent them to the zoo", and then aired a clip of the Australians driving around in the small Peel P50s, but we're here to watch Jeremy, Hammond and James, right?
wink.gif

Well I just found boring having watched already and the animal park bit etc. was funnier.

There has been some issues in the British media during the last week, where to sport commentators where fired due to a comment about a female football ref. And her needing to have the offside ruled explained, Jeremy was quoted saying that if that was enough to get fired he and the two other TG guys would have been fired each week, so it could have been a reaction to that and it's fairly well known that Hammond won't eat anything but British food, so I wasn't surprised about his comment about the food and the lazyness remark was/is a common conception about the mexican people, personally I was surprised that jeremy didn't say he was wrong, they are all at home depot in San Diego or something in that order.

Beetleything

Reaction score

Fire in the hole!!!

I don't think North Americans get British humor.

You can't make a joke about anything that is a generalisation nowadays without someone screaming - sexist-racist etc etc.....

It was a joke but everyone is so damned sensitive now.

This show is full of that..... the 3 wise men to Bethlehem was hilarious.....but you'd have been upset about that too cos it took the piss!!

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Believe me, I'm the last one who gets offended over things...and I'm far from offended over this video (BTW, I'm Mexican)

But saying just because something is FUNNY (which is in the eye of the beholder...calling a Mexican car a Tortilla is hardly my idea of bringing the LULZ) automatically makes it NOT racist is silly logic.

It could be funny...but that's because you find racial humor funny.

I've seen my fair share of TG's...apart from the fact that their cultural/racial stuff isn't really that funny (which again, is subjective), I just don't get it in the context of the show. Just drive the pretty cars through Europe, please.

Beetleything

Reaction score
(BTW, I'm Mexican)

OK there's the problem.

Been to Mexico and everyone worked very hard from what i saw. Nice people.

You cannot take what these guys say seriously .......they are like 3 schoolboys hanging around playing in fast cars and taking the piss out of everything.

I'm scottish and if i had a penny for every time i got called Jock and the cracks about being tight with money etc etc i'd be a millionaire ...it's a generality about Scottish people that everyone perpetuates.

Same thing going on here i'd say.

http://www.nowpublic.com/culture/top...y-2754302.html

More people have seen it than would have normally owing to the fuss.

check this out --hilarious!
This was in the middle east somewhere.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads