1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Top Gear (UK) discussion

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by henrikc, Jan 25, 2011.

1. henrikc

henrikc Senior member

[​IMG] So the newest season started airing in UK a couple of days ago, and I couldn't find any threads about this. Not sure if anyone really wants a thread about this, but it's worth a try. Personally I loved the newest episode. They've moved away from just cocking about like they did a couple of seasons ago, and this time Jeremy actually had a decent test of the Skoda Yeti, but he still managed to make it funny. So much better than the Renault Twingo test from season 14, and James May did a great review of the Ariel Atom V8. The Middle East special was great as well, and it looks like this season is going to be a good one! Any thoughts?

2. Beetleything

Beetleything Senior member

Being from Blighty i used to watch it all the time.

I am in Canada now and hadn't seen it for ages until i got the BBC Canada channel and forgot how good it was.
    The humor and the downright bluntness of Clarkson that you just do not get here in hockey land.

That said Beeb Canada is old reruns...so haven't seen the new series yet.[​IMG]

3. Logan

Logan Senior member

I love this show. I have been watching it for years. I always download the new episodes because BBC Canada cuts 20 mins out for commercials.

There was the Xmas special on the 26th and there was one that aired on the 22nd of Dec too. I think it was the 7th ep of season 15.

It sucks they only do 7 episodes at a time but it keeps the content very amusing.

4. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

Love TG generally, but they really did jump the shark a bit a few seasons ago. I also rather dislike it when they destroy perfectly good cars. Glad to hear your comments on the new season.

~ H

5. ashpool

ashpool Senior member

huge fan of Top Gear. I really like the older episodes (season 1-5), I find the newer ones (season 10-15) are getting more repetitive, but still very fun.

My favorite aspects of the show are the "challenges" like the Cheap car challenges.

6. henrikc

henrikc Senior member

Especially the cheap car challenges imo.
    The first US special was great, and the one where they try to find the perfect car for a 17 year old is really funny.

7. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

I love how they're always destroying or setting fire to campers.

North Pole special was good.

Attaching the Reliant Robin to the rocket was funny.

8. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

Fun show. The US version is an embarassment.

9. PrimusPilus

PrimusPilus Well-Known Member

I like Top Gear, but they have to fake some stuff. For instance, I believe it was a winter olympics episode when JC was supposedly cutting down trees with an MP5. Totally fake.

10. whiteslashasian

Fun show. The US version is an embarassment.

Some of the stuff they do is fun, but their interactions are awkward and the car reviews are bland at best.

Top Gear UK (current version) wasn't super polished from the start but took a couple of seasons to really gear up. Hopefully the US version can get some momentum in a positive direction as well.

11. henrikc

henrikc Senior member

I like Top Gear, but they have to fake some stuff. For instance, I believe it was a winter olympics episode when JC was supposedly cutting down trees with an MP5. Totally fake.
    A lot of the races are scripted and planned to the smallest detail to get the closest race possible. Sure, it's not 100% realistic, but Top Gear (after the rebirth) never intended to be a super serious car show anyways, and I'm perfectly fine with that.

12. Unregistered

Unregistered Senior member

I love their "epic" episodes such as their South America challenge, their Romania challenge... Middle East... The list goes on.

Saddens me that it was announced there'd be a lot less of these episodes coming up [​IMG]

13. whiteslashasian

I love their "epic" episodes such as their South America challenge, their Romania challenge... Middle East... The list goes on.

Saddens me that it was announced there'd be a lot less of these episodes coming up [​IMG]

I believe BBC budget cuts are to blame.

14. Unregistered

I believe BBC budget cuts are to blame.

In that case, I blame Clarkson with his X6 review. [​IMG]

15. whiteslashasian

In that case, I blame Clarkson with his X6 review. [​IMG]

Hahahaha! Yeah, that was a good, though expensive laugh.

16. chas

chas Senior member

I think it is the best show on TV. My wife couldn't care less about cars and she likes it as well. The chemistry between the hosts is great and they respect the intelegence of their audience.

17. henrikc

henrikc Senior member

Second episode aired yesterday, and I watched it today. I did however watch the Top Gear Australia episode when I heard that the UK boys would be in it, so nothing new in this really.
    Review of 599 GTO was decent, nothing to brag about.

Races against Australia were quite fun, I do love the one car two drivers concept. The scripting did shine through though, but I'm not complaining too loudly. The Australian episode (3x00 IIRC) contained more of the races (they didn't do any news or reviews, so they had more time for race footage), so that's worth taking a look at if you want to see more of it.

18. L.R.

L.R. Senior member

I honestly have no interest in vehicles, yet I love this show. It's just well written, well hosted, and above all, fun.

19. amulyaa

amulyaa New Member

I love this show and watching this show from last few season. I will definitely watch its upcoming season.

20. Unregistered

I absolutely loved the rally against the Aussies. Gripping and awesome! James drove very well indeed [​IMG]